Page 1 of 2

Figures

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:27 am
by SpudUk
My brother-in-law commented the other day "it's interesting that the detail of model railway figures gets better and better the larger the scale, until you get to 16mm when they become almost caricature-ish" which got me thinking - where are the high detail model figures out there for 16mm?

Re: Figures

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:37 am
by tom_tom_go
The best mass produced figures I have seen are the Bachmann G scale range although not exact scale they look alright for 16mm to me.

Re: Figures

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:00 am
by Peter Butler
The most detailed,scale and affordable figures I have found are the ones from www.designscanprint3d.co.uk. They are scanned and 3D printed from real people in believable poses. They do need a minimum amount of preparation before painting but the end result is worth the effort.
IMG_4410.JPG
IMG_4410.JPG (114.41 KiB) Viewed 12849 times
IMG_4411.JPG
IMG_4411.JPG (134 KiB) Viewed 12849 times
IMG_3965.JPG
IMG_3965.JPG (149.36 KiB) Viewed 12849 times
IMG_4427.JPG
IMG_4427.JPG (140.24 KiB) Viewed 12849 times
You can even have yourself scanned and printed, dressed and posed as a driver for your own loco....... No, that isn't me!

Re: Figures

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:03 am
by tom_tom_go
You can see the print lines on 3D figures, they don't do it for me.

Re: Figures

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:50 am
by philipy
I agree with Peter, designscanprint3d.co.uk are the best available and for a fiver each are reasonable value for money, even though as Tom suggests, they do need some fettlng before painting.

Re: Figures

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:26 pm
by ge_rik
I like Jon's People figures but they are difficult to get hold of. Here's a flyer from a few years back showing the range.
JonsPeople.jpg
JonsPeople.jpg (144.21 KiB) Viewed 12837 times
BTW - I lifted this from a previous thread on figures - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4241

Rik

Re: Figures

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:40 pm
by practical_phil
I'm not convinced that superdetail figures work in the garden, I prefer the slightly cartoony version but everyone is different.

The Bachmann figures are really nice, ready painted and reasonably priced. Some of them look really miserable though!

Image

I've handed over a few to a well-known figure painter to see what he can do with them too for a future issue of Garden Rail.

Re: Figures

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:22 am
by pandsrowe
The Bachmann range are quite well detailed and more importantly a good match to scale, but sadly for me they are all too modern in appearance. My particular modelling era is the 1930 - 50 period and track workers in hi vis jackets just don't fit the bill. Modeltown do have a fairly good selection that suit my requirements but even they tend to be slightly "cartoon" like.
A few years back I came across an excellent but small range by 'Mike's Marvellous Models' which had everything that I was looking for in the way of detail and accuracy, even animals, he appeared at a few garden railway shows but I haven't seen anything of him for a couple of years now.

Re: Figures

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:06 pm
by practical_phil
I've mentioned the figures look a bit modern to Bachmann in the past and it will be interesting to see if any older versions appear.

That said, a coat of paint could turn a hi-viz into a donkey jacket (if you have to look up what one of those is you are too young) so I'll have a go.

Re: Figures

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:21 pm
by ge_rik
BTW, Phil, welcome to the forum. Nice to have you on board and the opportunity to gain some of your insights.

Sorry to hijack @SpudUK's thread, but seemed like a useful time and place to give you a welcome.

Rik

Re: Figures

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:53 pm
by tom_tom_go
Not all the Bachmann figures are modern looking, I have a driver/firemam set 16-703:

http://www.glendalejunction.co.uk/BachScenecraft.html

Re: Figures

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:55 pm
by practical_phil
ge_rik wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:21 pm BTW, Phil, welcome to the forum. Nice to have you on board and the opportunity to gain some of your insights.

Sorry to hijack @SpudUK's thread, but seemed like a useful time and place to give you a welcome.

Rik
Thanks. Sorry it took me so long to get here. I can't promise massive insights, but I'll do what I can.

Returning to the figures - the Bachmann railway staff are a bit more 50's so probably more use. Another option is to use 3D printing by ModelU (https://www.modelu3d.co.uk/) but it's not cheap, think £30 for a 16mm figure BUT you can be scanned and then be the driver on your own loco for that money. Also, it's likly to drop as Alan has a new, and even better printer. His 4mm scale stuff is superb and the 16mm is the same resolution.

Re: Figures

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:16 pm
by ge_rik
practical_phil wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:55 pm Returning to the figures - the Bachmann railway staff are a bit more 50's so probably more use. Another option is to use 3D printing by ModelU (https://www.modelu3d.co.uk/) but it's not cheap, think £30 for a 16mm figure BUT you can be scanned and then be the driver on your own loco for that money. Also, it's likly to drop as Alan has a new, and even better printer. His 4mm scale stuff is superb and the 16mm is the same resolution.
I couldn't see an option for 16mm scale figures on the website - largest seem to be G1 scale (1:32)

Rik

Re: Figures

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:17 pm
by tom_tom_go
Interesting how they don't post images of the 3D printed models only the 3D generated images...

If they were that flawless I would buy one right now!

Re: Figures

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:49 pm
by practical_phil
Most of the market is in 7mm and smaller figures, but if you drop Alan a line, he's one of the most helpful people you'll find.

Image

These are from an article Si (Model Earth) Harris wrote in the March issue of GR. They are from the ModelU stand and produced on the older and lower resolution printer.

Re: Figures

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:50 pm
by practical_phil
Here's the 7mm scale version of me.

Image

Hope this helps.

Re: Figures

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:36 pm
by ge_rik
I like the stiletto heels. :lol:

Ruj

Re: Figures

Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:19 am
by Lonsdaler
ge_rik wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:36 pm I like the stiletto heels. :lol:

Ruj
I thought he was standing on road cones Ruj.
Is that your new moniker? :lol:

Re: Figures

Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:58 pm
by ge_rik
Lonsdaler wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:19 am I thought he was standing on road cones Ruj.
Is that your new moniker? :lol:
The hand is quicker than the eye (at least when it comes to typing .... :? )
Rol

Re: Figures

Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:19 pm
by Lonsdaler
ge_rik wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:58 pm
Lonsdaler wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:19 am I thought he was standing on road cones Ruj.
Is that your new moniker? :lol:
The hand is quicker than the eye (at least when it comes to typing .... :? )
Rol
I thought so :lol: