MHLR Extension

What is your latest project?
pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:39 pm

I have a section like that on my line where it curves up a gradient and the oil from my steamies has made going up it with a short goods train real fun ;) lots of slipping and sliding
A steam propelled life-style.

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:32 pm

mhlr wrote:Because of my stupidity
What an understatement what the hell is there a grade that steep for?

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:18 pm

SillyBilly wrote:What an understatement what the hell is there a grade that steep for?
Come and build the f***ing thing for me then Will, I'd love to see you do a better job! That is a damned rude comment from the forum chairman!

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:43 pm

It translates in to what is in the way of not having it flat or spreading out the gradient?

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:55 pm

SillyBilly wrote:It translates in to what is in the way of not having it flat or spreading out the gradient?
Well when the pond was casted, the trackbed was already built, and the pond had to come to ground level otherwise major groundworks would be needed, and because the site is sloped, the pond is higher than the rest. Because everyone is winging about it, and because I'm not happy with it, it looks like I'm going to have to work out a way of fixing the bloody problem. I was going to put a spiral in, but certain authorities said no.

Matt
Driver
Driver

Post by Matt » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:12 pm

Hey, carm down guys, we don't want, or need, an argument.
Garden Railways-best hobby in the world.

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:40 pm

yeah so lets all just calm down and have a nice discussion about mamods ;) :lol:

Matt
Driver
Driver

Post by Matt » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:58 pm

pauly, don't make the situation worse than it is.
Garden Railways-best hobby in the world.

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:01 pm

what? I was just injecting a bit of humour into the situation!

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:56 pm

looking at the video, I would say that it is possible to ease the gradient, I think that if you get long as straight as possible piece of wood (or maybe a long spirit level) you could put in on the grade and see if there is a "dip" into the grade, ie there is a shallow bit of grade before a significant steepening. You could then pack the track up to the level of the long bit of wood etc using bits of wood, or a concrete mix. Remember to work out gradients it is the length of the gradient divided by the height eg 100 cm divided by 4cm gives a gradient of 1 in 25
Hope you are able to fix it, I'd say on a straight bit of track the maximum gradient you would ideally want is 1 in 50, although you could push it steeper then this if really necessery
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:31 pm

I aint going to say what I found the gradient to be, but its a 1 in 6.
Well, my dad and I have been discussing plans... To make the gradient less, like laalratty said, make it longer to ease it out a bit. So I will use this plank of wood as below, packed underneath with wood, or cement. It will also go a bit further down, than the wood is in the picture, so it eases the left fork too.

But my dad also has an idea himself... Instead of having the bridge from the curve out of the tunnel, going across the church, we eliminate that, and have the track coming off from the curve onto a wooden tressel section (illustrated where the sticks and string are), where there will be a large passing loop to serve as a steam up bay at steam ups, then leading to a single track leading along the edge of the wall, then crosses over a lift out bridge up that then leads across the flower bed next to the path, and levels to the top of the pond loop where there will be a set of points. This will then mean a complete circuit, and an easier way up for those that cannot make it up to the pond the other way.

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Extention

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:41 pm

Amazing to see such progress. I still think you should name that gradient or where it was 'The Kink' after the rediculous gradients on the W and LLR!!
Besides it looks as if you will benefit by getting more running track any way!
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:30 pm

Looks like you can get a bit of grade easing done there, i look forward to seeing pics of the trestle bridge as well
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

bungle80a
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by bungle80a » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:34 pm

Not checked on this thread for a few weeks. Looks like you've been busy Pete! Shame about the gradient problem! It might be worth easing the grade out right far back as the step crossing! Obviously, keep the area (say a couple of foot each side) of the point level! Its strange how the earlier photos never reflected the gradient, or maybe thats just me!

Your dads suggestion seems to be a win-win situation! It irons out the incline problem (in 1 direction of travel) AND it means you get a bigger railway and steaming bays!

Its great to see expansion on your line Pete, and who knows, one day I might get to visit your part of the UK, and what visit to the South West wouldnt be complete without a visit to the MHLR?!?!
Bungle80a

"Who has stolen the 3 link coupling off the end of my train?!?!

.....[a few minutes pass hunting down replacements].....

"So, which comedian has uncoupled my entire train?!?!"

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:09 pm

bungle80a wrote:and what visit to the South West wouldnt be complete without a visit to the MHLR?!?!
A good one? ;) the further extension would certainly give even more operation potential as well as more scope for big steam ups!

bungle80a
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by bungle80a » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:15 pm

Yeah, a good one! The vistas from the line look flippin (self-censorin there!) great! I look forward to the opportunity to visit this, and any other forum members line in the future!
Bungle80a

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:15 pm

bungle80a wrote:It might be worth easing the grade out right far back as the step crossing! Obviously, keep the area (say a couple of foot each side) of the point level! Its strange how the earlier photos never reflected the gradient, or maybe thats just me!
I don't think I will go all the way to the step crossing, because I would have to raise everything eitherside of the trackbed too then (otherwise it wouldn't look right to me). Although I will consider it though, I will see what sort of gradient I get with that plank of wood resting ontop.
bungle80a wrote:Your dads suggestion seems to be a win-win situation! It irons out the incline problem (in 1 direction of travel) AND it means you get a bigger railway and steaming bays!

Its great to see expansion on your line Pete, and who knows, one day I might get to visit your part of the UK, and what visit to the South West wouldnt be complete without a visit to the MHLR?!?!
Yes it is, I was surprised he actually wanted to fund the building of that. I wasn't sure on it at first, I think it could look a bit of an eyesore, but hey, its his garden!! :lol:
Yes, visit the MHLR if you come this way. Especially if its over the MHLRfest weekend (not as good as PTLRfest mind you!), as this year, if it goes to plan, Dan and Andy may make it down and we will carry on into the night, so plenty of action and videing going on :lol: :lol:

bungle80a
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by bungle80a » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:20 pm

when is MHLRfest this year? (The scary thing is I started writing bout the whole -fest thing in my last post and deleted it!)
Bungle80a

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:24 pm

22nd August

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:37 pm

Well, today I thought I'd start on the steam up bay...