Winter's best laid plans

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Winter's best laid plans

Post by bazzer42 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:01 pm

Has anybody else got an extremely long, blindly optimistic list of winter builds and repairs? Along with fencing and a new engine shed I can add:

Rebuild a nissen hut
Build a PDF Ruston kit
Build a Mikes Model Diesel body and graft onto an essel chassis
Scratch build a WDLR type D style of bogie wagon
Airfix tractor and A35 van kits to build
Paint figures for above
Add whistle to Konrad

I'd love to think I could polish some of these off but throw in some domestic stuff or a warm fire and a glass of scotch there's always tomorrow...

CVLR
Cleaner
Cleaner

Re: Winter's best laid plans

Post by CVLR » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:53 pm

Done that, I just have to build a railway to run it all on. :shock:

I'm just popping out; I may be gone some time.... ;)
What's this button do then? ooops.....

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:24 pm

I've got a list at least as big, but my doubts as to whether I'll do any of it are even bigger. :roll:
Philip

steamer68
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by steamer68 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:45 pm

Well I'm going to be building a 5 ft oval layout in my brick shed with standing room in the middle and hopefully will be building some rolling stock as I have ordered some Binnie tippers from IP Engineering. :reindeer:
Regards
Kevin

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:45 pm

Great long list of stuff to finish/ start. I have projects that I started 20 plus years ago that need completing.
My problem is mainly that I start a build and when it gets problematic I start something more straightforward to save my sanity.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

Busted Bricks
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Busted Bricks » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:00 pm

I have to move house and country, start a new business, insulate a workshop, install machines, paint living areas etc. I won't have time for hobby for quite a while I think.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:07 pm

Looks like a lot of kitchen tables in use this winter, and not for domestic reasons!! Good luck
Grant.
PS sorry about the nissen hut :oops:

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:44 am

General idea for this winter is:

1. Get far enough along with the indoor layout that I can run trains. Station is laid, but the continuous run has yet to be built.
2. Start work on the Opoverbakkebane (OOBB), aka Ross and Cromarty Light Railways (RCLR), which is the projected 32mm gauge outdoor layout
3. Get the NQD rake sorted out and running on the 32mm line
4. Build locomotive for the 32mm line.
5. Finish some of the UFOs in the basement.

Between work and random events the chances of getting this done are about zero, but one can hope. The money I just spent on wheels for the NQD set has probably put the kibosh on a decent bottle of Akvavit (though I doubt the ABC store runs to anything that exotic here) and a bottle of single malt for Jule-tide anti-freeze!

Cheers,
Peter in Va
Last edited by IrishPeter on Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:29 am

Finish some of the UFOs in the basement.
Good grief, we only have bats in the tower roof and I thought that was bad.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:05 am

I have a constant running to do list which amounts to around two sides of A4. I've had the list for around five years now. In that time I've probably crossed off around 50+ items, but of course, as soon as I cross something off, something else gets added. And then there are some jobs which never appear on the list, like urgent maintenance or sudden whimsical projects, like the construction of the Black Hawthorn loco a couple of months ago.

Here's an extract from my current list. I star the items for urgency so items can get promoted as other things get removed.
20171201_084643.jpg
20171201_084643.jpg (1.14 MiB) Viewed 5609 times
Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:13 am

That is dangerously efficient Rik.

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:21 am

Bl**dy hell Rik, I think that, like me, you have CDO. That's like OCD but all the letters are in the right order :lol:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:10 pm

Big Jim wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:29 am
Finish some of the UFOs in the basement.
Good grief, we only have bats in the tower roof and I thought that was bad.
UFO - Unfinished Objects; every modeller has a few (dozen?) of them hanging around. I caught that one from my wife, who uses it to describe those knitting projects that were put away in say 1979, 1997, or whenever, and then randomly reappear. I think we had a big rubber tote of them when we moved, but that was nothing compared to the yarn stash. She now goes "shopping in the basement" whenever she wants yarn for a new project. On the other side of the underground I have my railway, my wood stash and my bit boxes :D.

Bats in the belfry seem to be mainly a personal issue in this parish.

Cheers,
Peter in Va
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:22 pm

Lonsdaler wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:21 am Bl**dy hell Rik, I think that, like me, you have CDO. That's like OCD but all the letters are in the right order :lol:
Hi Phil
I did try having a computerised todo list but gave up - a notebook's easier to carry around and a lot more satisfying to physically cross something off the list.
Of course, having a todo list in a notebook assumes I can remember where I put the notebook!!!

Rik
PS CDO - must remember that ...... nice one! :thumbright:
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

DG
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by DG » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:56 am

Winter plans ......... well amongst some repairs and maybe adding some stock from kits I have an over-ambitious plan to scratch build something like a Brazil or an Ellie tram. I will be learning along the way . I have built a Lady Anne from a kit so I am hoping I can make the next step. I suspect the project may span more than one winter. Oh I have a momentum van I am working on too. Part built, tried it once but haven't got it working right yet. Oh and I am rebuilding the track to 32mm after taking up the 45mm. Oh and plan the track extension ............ some buildings would be nice too once I have decided on a focus for the railway. Oh and some lamps made from that article in 16mm today. Carriage internal lighting needs switches and charger sockets... Oh and .......mmm suspect I need to take a leaf out of your book Rik and make a proper, prioritised list. I am having a great time though.

Dave

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:26 am

By coincidence, I've just come across the layout maintenance and crippled stock list awaiting attention from the last time I took my P4 layout to an exhibition... in 2003!
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:43 am

Big Jim wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:45 pm Great long list of stuff to finish/ start. I have projects that I started 20 plus years ago that need completing.
My problem is mainly that I start a build and when it gets problematic I start something more straightforward to save my sanity.
:laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: Same for me with the Grandkids... :lol: :lol: :lol:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:52 am

DG wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:56 am .....I have built a Lady Anne from a kit so I am hoping I can make the next step. ...... rebuilding the track to 32mm . ............ I am having a great time though.

Dave
Built a Lady Anne, Dave, the Tram would be easier I suspect for you, more than I could ever do..

You seem to have loads to do, I too am having the best time since moving to 16mm...isn’t it great... :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:56 am

Well for me it’s,

Some building’s, i.e. Station, house’s, shed, and such other’s I want to put on,

More rolling stock of various kinds, not sure what yet, but i will post any build on my thread.

Those lamps look good on 16mm magazine, so may attempt them.

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:12 pm

Mrs B has added another project with immediate start...new hallway floor. Managed to buy a Shaun the Sheep Land Rover and two coach kits in between plank laying. Got me out of Christmas shopping though, it's an ill wind....