What is your latest project?
Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Re: Otto bash

Post by Soar Valley Light » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:27 pm

I agree with the others Rik, it's a lovely job. :thumbright:

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:27 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:32 pm Very nice conversion Rik. Proportions look good despite the variation from the original. Spectacle plate a vast improvement on the first one and worth the effort.
A spray primer will make all the difference to the overall effect and tie everything together Please show a picture of that before the final colour spray.
Hi Peter

Thanks, will do! I must admit I quite like locos in 'Works Grey'. Still a little way to go before the primer is brought out, but getting closer..............
Reminds me, I must take a trip to Halfords tomorrow!
Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:31 pm

Soar Valley Light wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:27 pm I agree with the others Rik, it's a lovely job. :thumbright:

Andrew
Thanks Andrew
Fingers crossed I don't make a hash of what's left of it............. :| :cry: ;) ;)

Rik
------------------------

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:21 am

Fingers crossed I don't make a hash of what's left of it
Doubt that will happen looking at what you've done so far Rik. I think as Peter said, you really begin to see what you've got when it's all one colour.
Grant.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:25 pm

Part 9 - Wiring up the electrics and test running

Wiring has now been installed (Deltang Rx65, 3 x 18650 li-ion batteries, MyLocoSound soundcard) and so some test running was needed to check all was OK and the weight was sufficient.

Rik
------------------------

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:27 pm

A great runner Rik as usual from your works...

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:57 am

tom_tom_go wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:27 pm A great runner Rik as usual from your works...
Thanks Tom. I can't take a great deal of credit for the running. Those ToyTrain motor blocks and motors are so well engineered that I gave up trying to make my own years ago - and the Deltang Tx/Rx combination makes for good slow running and fine control.

Just need to tweak the settings for the sound card chuff. You'll notice it's just right on a couple of shots but a bit too slow on others. Always a compromise as, of course, the loco's speed varies dependent on the load as well as the PWM 'voltage' which the card uses. I'd like to use a wheel cam but not yet found a way to mount one on/in a ToyTrain block.

Rik
------------------------

pandsrowe
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pandsrowe » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:42 am

I'm impressed, even the driver is capable of rotating to face the direction of travel. :thumbup:
Seriously though another of your very impressive projects.
Phil

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:46 am

Great work Rik - I love the way you bring all the changes together with the sound and great control via Deltang - looking forward to seeing it morph with its new paint job.
Where did I put that uncoupler?

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:05 am

Lovely job as always Rik.
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:30 pm

pandsrowe wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:42 am I'm impressed, even the driver is capable of rotating to face the direction of travel. :thumbup:
Seriously though another of your very impressive projects.
Thanks Phil - so glad someone spotted that. Not automated it - he's mounted via a peg in one foot so easy to spin him around. I might try changing his arms so he looks a bit less balletic in his pose.

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:33 pm

markoteal wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:46 am Great work Rik - I love the way you bring all the changes together with the sound and great control via Deltang - looking forward to seeing it morph with its new paint job.
Thanks Mark. Still a bit more detailing to be done before the paint job. Some half-round brass 'wire' arrived this morning to be soldered on as edging on the spectacle plate. Tank filler, safety valve, proper chimney and sand boxes also on the list before the paint job - but getting closer.

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:47 pm

philipy wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:05 am Lovely job as always Rik.
Thanks Phil. Of course, I should have done her as a scratchbuild - quite a few compromises have been made. She started off as a quickie bash for the Otto but I was captivated by the charms of Kettering Furnaces No.3 (and No.2!). However, if I had built her to scale, I doubt I'd have had room inside for the 18650 batteries or the soundcard.

Normally, I mount the speaker under the cab roof so had to be a bit more imaginative finding somewhere to stash it. As a consequence, the smokebox door will be permanently open to allow the sound to escape.

Before .....
IMG_6131.JPG
IMG_6131.JPG (86.08 KiB) Viewed 4724 times

..... and after
IMG_6143.JPG
IMG_6143.JPG (92.24 KiB) Viewed 4724 times

Trying to decide whether to hinge the door or just glue it on half-open.
IMG_6137.JPG
IMG_6137.JPG (92.31 KiB) Viewed 4724 times
Rik
------------------------

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:01 pm

Leave it half open Rik, the crew are cooling the fire ;)

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:14 pm

ge_rik wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:47 pm
Normally, I mount the speaker under the cab roof so had to be a bit more imaginative finding somewhere to stash it. As a consequence, the smokebox door will be permanently open to allow the sound to escape.

Trying to decide whether to hinge the door or just glue it on half-open.
If the speaker is in the smokebox, could you cut a slot in the footplate beneath it and let the sound out there instead of having the door open?
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:08 am

philipy wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:14 pm If the speaker is in the smokebox, could you cut a slot in the footplate beneath it and let the sound out there instead of having the door open?
Nice idea, Philip. Unfortunately, the motor block is under the firebox - the batteries extend into the smokebox. If I move the batteries back to make room for the speaker, there will be no room for the soundcard. It's a bit like one of those sliding block puzzles. :shock: :? ;)

Rik
------------------------

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:17 am

Great job so far Rik, i love your layout, the shot of the train through the trees reminds me when i was a kid ( Hold on i still am ) climbing trees and looking out over the railway line near us, not right on top though, but close enough.

One question if i may Rik, why do you and most other members use Halfords spray paint, don’t you use an airbrush, isn’t that better, or is the spray can the way to go. :thumbright:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:26 am

FWLR wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:17 am Great job so far Rik, i love your layout, the shot of the train through the trees reminds me when i was a kid ( Hold on i still am ) climbing trees and looking out over the railway line near us, not right on top though, but close enough.
Always trying to find a new shot. I was just setting up another shot when I happened to glance through the foliage and thought, Hey they looks good!
FWLR wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:17 am One question if i may Rik, why do you and most other members use Halfords spray paint, don’t you use an airbrush, isn’t that better, or is the spray can the way to go. :thumbright:
I've always used rattle cans. I've considered investing in an airbrush and compressor a couple of times but then spent the money on something more pressing. Probably, the amount I've spent on spray cans over the years would have more than paid for a decent airbrush system. However, it seemed to me that, to get a decent quality airbrush and compressor is quite a considerable outlay - and then there's the learning-curve of, not only developing spraying techniques, but also mixing the paint and cleaning the airbrush. Then, should I get a compressor with a moisture trap, should I get a double-acting airbrush, etc etc. In the end, I chickened out and just use rattle-cans. I'm quite pleased with the results I get and so, if it ain't broke ............

Rik
------------------------

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:46 am

Thanks Rik, i have an airbrush mainly because trying to paint N Gauges models with a spray can is nigh on impossible, and after a while the cleaning and such is second nature, so would i be better keeping my painting to the airbrush or should i get cans, or both. I think i have answered my own question there Rik....BOTH.

Happy Modelling Rik. :thumbright: :thumbleft:

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:03 am

I have an airbrush which I always used back in my N Gauge and then P4 modelling days. Nowadays I only use rattle cans. The main reason for that is the gallons of paint needed for a 16mm model compared to a 4mm or 2mm one. I can see that there may be occasions when the airbrush would be superior, but so far haven't need to go the hassle.
Philip