Hello Plus Building A New 2 Rail O Scale Outdoor Layout

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
2 Rail O Scale Outdoors
Cleaner
Cleaner

Hello Plus Building A New 2 Rail O Scale Outdoor Layout

Post by 2 Rail O Scale Outdoors » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:39 pm

Hello everyone I am glad I found this forum. I originally was modeling HO scale Outdoors worked great, but I was snared by an O scale KTM 5011 Class Santa Fe 2-10-4, what a beast, so I decided to get rid of the HO stuff and now have started a new O scale layout outdoors. I like the fact the Forum accepts Any Scale, Any Gauge.

I have a new blog, here is the link: https://oscaleoutdoors.blogspot.com/ documenting my trials and tribulations in this endeavor. I hope to encourage other people to go into the Great Outdoors as well with O scale 2 Rail or 3 Rail or any scale for that matter. I am new at this blogging thing so bare with me as I learn the ropes. I look forward to hearing from everyone. I will be posting on my Blog sometime tomorrow on the installation of my new can motor for my KTM 2-10-4

Best Regards

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:39 pm

Impressive locomotives! Welcome to the forum.
Interesting trackbed construction.
The corrugated land drain stuff ( it's usually known by different local trade names in different countries) comes in two types, with or without seepage holes in the wall. Many years back I worked in a factory in New Zealand making this stuff. I assume you are using the type without holes that carries the water away from the area to be drained.

2 Rail O Scale Outdoors
Cleaner
Cleaner

Roadbed

Post by 2 Rail O Scale Outdoors » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:47 pm

Invicta280 nice to meet you and thank you. Yes I am using the drain hose for my roadbed that does not have the seepage holes. I figure I would try it for my roadbed base since it was made for outdoor use and is very economical as well.

Best Regards

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:08 pm

hello and welcome .iv had a look at your blog looks great keep us posted with updates

2 Rail O Scale Outdoors
Cleaner
Cleaner

New Can Motor

Post by 2 Rail O Scale Outdoors » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:50 am

Hello Jim Nice to meet you and thank you. I just put a new post out on installing a new can motor on my KTM 2-10-4

Best Regards

Nomis
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Nomis » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:59 pm

Be sure to keep us updated.

It has always seemed strange to me that there are not more 0 gauge garden railways. Not everyone likes narrow gauge, and not everyone has the space (and cash) for gauge one.

There is an 0 gauge garden line near me (the glenrock model railway) that has a website & a youtube channel. Its a really nice example of how course scale works well outdoors.

Nomis
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Nomis » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:00 pm

2 Rail O Scale Outdoors
Cleaner
Cleaner

O Guage Outdoors

Post by 2 Rail O Scale Outdoors » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:36 pm

Nomis nice to meet you and thanks for the excellent link, it helps to keep the momentum up seeing what can be accomplished. Here in the states it is not as common to see O gauge outdoors like it is in the UK, you guys are ahead of the curve over there. Most of the stuff outdoors here is 3 rail. I will be posting in a few days how I adapted an old Lionel 275 Watt ZW AC transformer to do DC, it makes a great stop gap until I get my DCC Stuff.

Best Regards

2 Rail O Scale Outdoors
Cleaner
Cleaner

Adapting Lionel ZW To DC And Testing Santa Fe 3451 Outdo

Post by 2 Rail O Scale Outdoors » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:51 am

Hello everyone, late last night I finally was able to post on my blog about adapting of my Lionel ZW Transformer to DC use. I also posted a short video of my Santa Fe Hudson 3451 running back and forth on my outdoor layout powered by my ZW. I hope everyone will enjoy.

Best Regards

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Re: Hello Plus Building A New 2 Rail O Scale Outdoor Layout

Post by daan » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:27 pm

Nice! I had a layout of Lionel and MTH 0 scale in the gardenshed a long time ago. I liked the bold and heavy construction of these machines! I guess they will be ideal for garden railways because of their sheer weight.
Why do you use rectifiers on the Lionel transformers? In my case the DC current was used to make the bell and whistlesounds or activate the couplers, and they ran on pure sine wave AC. The shift up or down in voltage activated the DC relais or the protosound board. I'm looking forward to your layout!

Cheers Daan.
"En schöne Gruess" from an Alpine railway in Holland.