Claiming VAT back on Garden Railway purchases...

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
big-ted
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Claiming VAT back on Garden Railway purchases...

Post by big-ted » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:53 pm

One for those outside the UK, I imagine...

Has anyone any experience of claiming the VAT back on purchases of garden railway locos to be exported outside the UK? Curious as to the typical success rate, hassle involved, and documentation required as I consider making such a purchase and bringing it back to Canada with me...

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:50 pm

Anything I have mail ordered from the UK to the USA has had the VAT subtracted from the bill since the items were being shipped out of the UK. Not sure how that works for Canada though. Biggest issue is most of the buildings I want, Tuxcraft and Welshpool Pottery, are heavy and shipping costs are insane. Hard to find UK style buildings on my side of the pond. Mike
Silly NT's.....I have Asperger's Syndrome!

Busted Bricks
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Busted Bricks » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:05 pm

Anything sold to a country that is not an EU member state is exempt from VAT. However smaller vendors may not be VAT registered so there is no VAT to subtract. If you are in Canada and buy from a UK vendor and VAT is applied, then the vendor should refund you the VAT. Only works if the delivery address is outside EU of course.

If the vendor is asking a lot for shipping, ask if you can arrange collection and book through Transglobal Express. I find that they nearly always quote a much lower price than what vendors can offer. I have used them for many years now.

http://www.transglobalexpress.co.uk/

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:04 pm

big-ted wrote:I consider making such a purchase and bringing it back to Canada with me...
The previous respondents had obviously not read this important part.

The retailer needs to be signed up for Tax Free Shopping (also known as the VAT Retail Export Scheme).

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -in-the-uk

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 7notes.pdf

When you depart the UK you will need to get a Custom Officer to stamp the completed VAT 407 form. If your airport does not have a VAT Refunds desk, then there will either be a phone to ring Customs or a Customs post box. If the item(s) are in your checked (hold) baggage you need to attend the VAT Refunds desk before checking in. There could be a queue so you need to allow sufficient time on top of the normal check-in/security process.

Your retailer will likely charge an adminstration fee, and if they've signed up to a company that offers immediate cash refunds then there will likely be a service charge for that as well. Thus do not expect to get the full 20% VAT back as a refund.

https://www.travelex.co.uk/services/vat-refunds

Chris Cairns

big-ted
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by big-ted » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:10 pm

Thanks all for the input. In truth I have a number of options for shipping things. I still have family in the UK I visit fairly often, hence my thinking of carrying any large items with me, but said family members could also serve as intermediaries, or I could just get stuff shipped direct.

I also hadn't realised how VAT is applied to secondhand goods for dealers. I had seen some bits at prices that, if I could count on a 20% rebate, would be very tempting. Sadly, it seems I was being a little optimistic, so I guess I'll save my pennies a little longer! :D

big-ted
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by big-ted » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:56 pm

Well, I made it back home to Vancouver last night with all the Roundhouse kits to build a Lady Anne. Roundhouse were super helpful through the whole process telling me how everything worked and providing the necessary documentation. Very quick and simple to get the customs stamp at Gatwick airport.

I had the boxes in my hand luggage and got the secondary search at every x-ray security point, as well as some odd/amusing looks from airport staff, but better than putting it in the hold as two years ago the airline lost my bag and I never saw it again.

I guess a separate thread to be started soon with build progress and no doubt my questions, although I also bought some Brandbright coach kits just before leaving, so lots of projects to keep me busy for the next few months!

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:22 am

Hi big Ted, make sure you extensively document your Lady Anne assembly and post the pictures as you go along. I love watching "build threads" progress. I built a Roundhouse kit engine a few years ago, and I wish I could do another one.