IP engineering Laser Cut Ffestiniog Carriage No17/18

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
ptlrcecil
Driver
Driver

Post by ptlrcecil » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:28 am

Looking good ratty, its got windows :D
http://www.freewebs.com/pinetreelightrailway/index.

Cecil your engines on Fire!

Its a Mamod it does that.

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:16 pm

ptlrcecil wrote:Looking good ratty, its got windows :D
yeah it has, because this one is a carriage, not a van :lol:
I have slowly been carrying on with this, I would take and post a pic but it is upside down whilst the frames dry after a coat of black paint. The first class compartment is virtually finished, it just needs the sepia framed photos of the Ffestiniog railway and Seibiant Hill railway adding. The glazing on one side is in and most of the whitemetal castings (the door vents and door handles) have been painted before gluing on. I will try and post a pic tommorow, it's looking rather complete (my battle with the plasticard roof is still to come though...)
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:13 pm

laalratty wrote:The first class compartment is virtually finished, it just needs the sepia framed photos of the Ffestiniog railway and Seibiant Hill railway adding.
Oh cool, thank you :) :) :) !

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:36 pm

Your welcome, though it had to be done with the originals passing your front door every day in the summer!
Here is the first class compartment, with the Seibiant Hill railway sepia photo in the corner (from last autum featuring the visiting Baldwin). Took 2 attempts to print though, the first came out purple tinged rather than sepia. Yuk!
The rest of the interior, complete with wood stain. As you can see, first class is definatly the place to travel!
The caoch body, painting just about complete, with glazing glued in as well on this side. Note the door ventalators and 3 door handles fitted.
I'm going to try the plasticard roof, so it is undergoing torture with rubber bands round 3 paint cans to get the desired curve. I have already built the bogies so it is not too long untill this carriage hits the rails. :D
"What the hell is that?"

riveresk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by riveresk » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:50 pm

That looks really good. Can't wait to see how it has progressed when I get home - not long now, lol.
'Oliver's no use at all, thinks he's very clever. Says that he can manage us, that's the best joke ever. When he orders us about, with the greatest folly. We just push him down the well. Pop goes old Olly!'

MoelygestLR
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by MoelygestLR » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:01 pm

laalratty wrote: I'm going to try the plasticard roof, so it is undergoing torture with rubber bands round 3 paint cans to get the desired curve.
I Have built (well finishing them off, retro fitting with lights etc.) 3 of the FR bug boxes from IP and the early brakevan, all with similar plastic roofs. Personally i found that the plastic roofs were a joy over the old plywood one. Being plastic, once bent to the right shape they hold that shape, making glueing the roof on much easier and the final result looks much better (in my opinion).

I will try and get a photo of one of my roofs for you if you want.
Thanks,

Paul Wood
MGLR

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:15 pm

It's ok, I glued the roof on this afternoon. It's all about the adhesive you use, when I buillt SLRmidge's Vale of Rheidol brake van I used epoxy and it didn't work too well. This time I used superglue and it appears to be ok. I needed to do some pre bending by hand as well as the bending round the paint tins.
After the roof, I fitted and painted the end rails. One question, do fellow forum members think I should paint the roof black (un prototypical but matches my other coaches) or grey (prototypical but won't match my other stock)
"What the hell is that?"

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:39 pm

Black, it's allready got an unprototypical livery, no orange ends!

bungle80a
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by bungle80a » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:43 pm

Im with Will on this one. It has been purchased/built to run on the ANLR and thus should carry your railways corperate livery which includes the colour of the roof!

Its looking great by the way! Wish I had half the patience when it comes to painting stock. I can never seem to get it quite right!
Bungle80a

"Who has stolen the 3 link coupling off the end of my train?!?!

.....[a few minutes pass hunting down replacements].....

"So, which comedian has uncoupled my entire train?!?!"

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:45 pm

SillyBilly wrote:Black, it's allready got an unprototypical livery, no orange ends!
I just KNEW you would say that! :lol:
As a reply to your post Bungle, I would of painted all of my roofs grey but i've only recently got my hands on some appropriate grey paint, I might try half and half and see which half I prefer! After all its only a coat of paint. BTW thanks for the compliments :D
"What the hell is that?"

bungle80a
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by bungle80a » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:50 pm

But if you paint it in grey it wont mat6ch, unless of course you paint all the other rooves grey!?!?!
Bungle80a

"Who has stolen the 3 link coupling off the end of my train?!?!

.....[a few minutes pass hunting down replacements].....

"So, which comedian has uncoupled my entire train?!?!"

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:53 pm

This I have though about, but I am considering re-painting my other roofs grey, and also you always get some variation in roof colour, because the colour slowly weathers, some more than others depending on where the carriage is in the rake, the FfR is a prime example of this actually
"What the hell is that?"

riveresk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by riveresk » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:56 pm

I like black. I think the grey will end up annoying you because it doesn't match the rest.
'Oliver's no use at all, thinks he's very clever. Says that he can manage us, that's the best joke ever. When he orders us about, with the greatest folly. We just push him down the well. Pop goes old Olly!'

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:12 pm

Well I have chosen the roof coulour. And it's neither of the above suggestions!!! :lol:
I had foggoten that I had a small tin of railmatch "roof dirt". It is a very dark grey, simulationg a grey roof that has had a couple of years weathering. I think that it should match ok with my black roofs whilst also looking more convincing then the blcak as well. At some point I would like to give the other roofs a wash of roof dirt to weather them down a bit. I will post a pic when its done. The coach will also be completed at this point :)
"What the hell is that?"

LMS-Jools
Driver
Driver

Post by LMS-Jools » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:49 am

Paint it Pink I say

come on everyone and Join the Paint it Pink Petition

then it will look lovely with the Banana nana Van :roll: :twisted:

ptlrcecil
Driver
Driver

Post by ptlrcecil » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:52 am

For weathering on grey roofs ive found that a quick spay of black paint at long range creates a sooty effect on the roof. I did that to my IOM,s and it worked out ok
http://www.freewebs.com/pinetreelightrailway/index.

Cecil your engines on Fire!

Its a Mamod it does that.

riveresk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by riveresk » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:59 pm

LMS-Jools wrote:Paint it Pink I say
I blame you for now having The Stones, 'Paint it Black' singing in my head.

LMS-Jools
Driver
Driver

Post by LMS-Jools » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:07 pm

riveresk wrote:
LMS-Jools wrote:Paint it Pink I say
I blame you for now having The Stones, 'Paint it Black' singing in my head.
Think more Pink Floyd lol :lol: ;) :blob3:

:wav:

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:17 pm

oh so this is the heavy rock music carriage then is it? :lol: Actually, one of the FfR's bowsiders featured on the album cover for Duffy's album "rockferry" so there is a music link, although not heavy rock
Anyway I have been carrying on with the carriage, but not posted any pics, so here are a couple.
Roof and balcony ends fitted, in fact at this stage only the bogies needed fitted.
The bogies have now been fitted, and you can see the colour that I have chosen to paint the roof. The painting has been done in 2 bits, as I did paint one end in black and one in grey, before I remembered about the roof dirt paint. The black paint didn't dry properly anyway, so it wasn't going to be black :lol: Anyway, the carriage should hopefully have its inuagural test run on monday, being pulled by my Caradoc which i'm hoping i've fixed (fourth time lucky... :roll: )
"What the hell is that?"

riveresk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by riveresk » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:47 am

Looking great. And I've just seen your signature - hillarious, roflmao. :lol: :lol: :lol: