A quick tip

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
MTA

A quick tip

Post by MTA » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:28 pm

I was seperating links yesterday into sets of three for couplings (a very tedious task) and to help me I got a rake of eight skips out.

I am using Lineside Delights natural finish chain (very good it is too!) and once all the skips were coupled together I made light of the task of uncoupling it all.

Slacken the couplings by pushing the stock closer together, then with a magnetic pick up tool go in from above and there you have it. A quickly uncoupled train!

I hasten to add that I have just one set of three links which is nickel plated, and that ISN'T magnetic. Check your couplings first to see if they are magnetic!

I also hasten to add that you shouldn't go in with the tool from the side of the train. This can drag stock off of the rails!

You can get pick up tools for no more than £3 in varying degrees of how much weight they can lift, plus most are telescopic.

Natural chain: http://www.linesidedelights.co.uk/useri ... ocart9.htm

Pick up tool: http://www.expotools.com/store/pages/pr ... f/p112.pdf

HTH

Chris
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Chris » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:43 pm

Clever.

:D

Endless, Nameless
Driver
Driver

Post by Endless, Nameless » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:44 pm

I like that idea, consider it stolen. Funny enough I was doing the same thing today, same chain too- it is noice isn't it!

Out of interest, how do you cut it? I started just snipping it with a (very blunt) pair of pliers, couldn't find owt sharper, then worked out that clamping one end in the pliers and poking my door key through the other end and twisting worked better, but there must still be a better way?
Matt

"The Ancient Greeks called it Pandora's box- but what they actually meant was Baldrick's Trousers"

MTA

Post by MTA » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:07 pm

I clamped one end in a large set of pliers, then using needle nose pliers bent it up the other side. Then you can slide out the links and close it up again ;)

I also found that a pair of side cutters used to open up the gap works well. Just line up the cutting edges with the join and it slices it open 2mm more ;)

Endless, Nameless
Driver
Driver

Post by Endless, Nameless » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:07 pm

Thinking about it, there must be a pair of needlenose pliers here somewhere... student house, I know there's a pair at home but most the tools here are for bike maintenance, not small scale steam!

Will try that instead, does seem a shame to loose one link in 4 as "waste".
Matt

"The Ancient Greeks called it Pandora's box- but what they actually meant was Baldrick's Trousers"