Computer nightmare!

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Computer nightmare!

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:43 am

Hi all of you techies out there..... I have a major issue with my laptop!
Having just returned from a few days away I have a new, and extremely irritating pop-up on my screen. Nothing has been accepted as a download and it has been switched off for days but..... this appears every few seconds..... yes, seconds!!!
Now here is another anomaly! I have taken a photographs of the problem to show you what I mean but they all show error, failure to download... What is going on?
The pop-up shows a heading.... Project, then beneath it four choices...
PC Screen only, Duplicate, Extend, Second Screen Only.
Of the four I guess the first would be most appropriate to me, however, no matter how many times I select it the message still returns!
There doesn't seem to be any other way of removing it permanently from my screen.
During the time it has take me to write this message it has appeared at least a dozen times and each time has to be selected otherwise it prevents me from continuing my task.
PLEASE, PLEASE HELP!!!!!!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:04 am

Hi Peter,

Sounds like you are running Windows 10?

Do you have an additional monitor connected to your laptop/PC or just the one?

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:20 pm

I can't be of any help Peter, but having recently updated to Windows 10 and incurring so many problems that using the computer has ceased to be fun, I share your frustration. Find it interesting that Tom has mentioned Windows 10 straight away.
Grant.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:54 pm

Hi Tom,  as far as I am aware I have taken every precaution imaginable to deter Windows 10 from invading my laptop.  The recent change, as described above, seems to be the only visible alteration to the performance, however, I am also aware of a much longer start-up time than ever before.
If you think this has somehow happened whilst I have been away (no one else has had access to my laptop) perhaps the programme can be removed?
Grant, I know you have mentioned your own frustration with 10 and I can fully sympathise.   It has to go!!!!!

Tom... sorry, forgot to say one screen only.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:24 pm

Hi Peter,

If you do not have any adapters or extension cables connecting your screen to your computer that may have become faulty and the fact you have been away would sugguest an update might be causing the issue.

I will send you a PM to help further.

cncmodeller
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by cncmodeller » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:46 pm

Hi Peter, I've had similar on windows 7 the best way I know is to go into computer management in control panel ( it might be called something different in win 10) and reset the computer to an earlier time I.e. Before the problems, all it does is get it to run with the earlier settings. Works a treat every time
Last edited by cncmodeller on Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:21 pm

Can't help with the problem I'm afraid, but for info, there has been a major Win 10 update happening in the past month ( called the Anniversary update). It is happening routinely as part of Windows Update and is estimated to take as much as 3 months to complete the rollout across the world.

Personally, all 4 of our machines have updated in the last 3 or 4 days with no issues that I am aware of so far, but it did take over an hour for one of them to complete.
Philip

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:14 am

Thanks for that info Philip, that must have been what I got last night after I posted. Made the mistake of letting it update (took ages) then turning on again to let it "Get Ready" as it said. Didn't get to bed till late, and found this morning all my settings have been changed. GRRR!!! A serious test of memory and patience.
Grant.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:24 pm

General overview of what is new in the 'Anniversary' update:

http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-1 ... ary-update

sstjc
Fireman
Fireman

Post by sstjc » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:37 am

Does this only happen when you have your browser open ?
Barry
Regards
Barry

www.5inchrail.com

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:50 am

Those with Win10 problems might be interested in this BBC/Which report, even if it is somewhat cold comfort.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37431343
Philip

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:59 am

Very Interesting Philip. After the update the other night, we now can't access any Word Files, and camera pics. downloading is a pain, among other things.
Grant.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:29 am

Well, after my knee-jerk reaction to the problem it seems to have given up now and no side effects have manifested themselves (so far).
I am grateful for your advice and offers of help and can see I am not the only one who had issues with W10. Microsoft have no right to impose such things on customers without consent and I hope they listen to us in future, although as they dominate why should they?

sstjc
Fireman
Fireman

Post by sstjc » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:01 pm

I have to say, and I am no fan of microsoft, but I don't see how they've impossed this without concent. You have to chose to install Windows 10 and there is an option to revert to windows 7/8 and I know people who have used this. I also think you'll find that every version of windows has had as many issues down the years. In my experience of building and repairing PCs which I do as a hobby I have found that the use of incompatable software is the biggest issue but most things can be made to work. The trouble is people think a computer is an out-of-the-box thing. But once you turn it on and start installing the programs you want to use thats when the problems start. No software or hardware manufacturuer tests their product with every single possible combination of other software or hardware and this is where the problems stem from. The main advantage of windows 10, which is also to some extent its downfall, is that unlike every other version of windows it doesn't need a clean install. In other words it installs over your current operating system using and keeping the software and settings that are already on your pc. This is actually a major advance. But no one ever said it would be faultless. In conclusion most issues i've helped people with are of their own making although they just didn't realise it. The basic issue with computers is that they are sold to the masses as a very powerful piece of kit and yet the masses understand very little of how they work. Its basically a recipe for disaster but most of us get away with it most of the time.... A bit like giving me a full size main line loco to drive !
Barry
Regards
Barry

www.5inchrail.com

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:03 am

A couple of months ago I succumbed to the nagging and installed W10 as a free upgrade from W7. I didn't like the interface but was prepared to put up with it.

However, in the space of a couple of weeks, the core apps stopped working three times and I had to re-install them. On the fourth occasion, I rolled back the install completely and am now quite happily using W7 once more - I even found a freebie program which silenced the MS nags about upgrading.

When digital watches were new (and LCD ones cost about £70) I told my wife I would wait until they were so cheap they were given away free at petrol stations. Sure enough, after a year or so that's exactly what happened. I think I'll wait until all the bugs have been ironed out of W10 (probably when they get to W15).

Sorry, Grumpy Old Git whinge over.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:38 pm

What's a digital watch?

I like things to stay where they are when I understand them. just because it's new doesn't mean it's better if you don't want or need it.
Hands off!!!!!

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:16 pm

Oh I do sooo! agree.
Another past hobby is my collection of old and antique clocks. My divers wrist watch is 34 years old and worth up to twice as much as its current new equivalent. It loses 3mins. a year. New is definitely not necessarily better.
Grant.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:10 am

Agreed.
Our newest car is 19 years old and even that is a bit on the modern side.
Newer does not mean better, Dairy Milk chocolate is a prime example

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:49 pm

After all that, I think my laptop is now going into decline.

I've had the 'Blue Screen of Death!" three times now in as many weeks and so decided it was time a ran a diagnostic test on my computer which threw up this 'Helpful Hint'

I do 'like' the way it calmly suggests "a failure [of my hard drive] may be imminent"

Doesn't really fill me with confidence - particularly as my all online business data (website, accounts spreadsheet, etc) not to mention my blog backup are on it.

Looks like I might be going over to W10 (and a new laptop) sooner than I was anticipating.

Spent most of today backing-up like mad before I get the next (and maybe final) 'Blue Screen'

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

sstjc
Fireman
Fireman

Post by sstjc » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:10 pm

Rik
Make a backup image of the hard drive on an external drive then replace the hard drive in the laptop with a new one and load the image.

AOMEI Backuper does the job http://www.backup-utility.com/

Better do it before the current hard drive fails.
Barry
Regards
Barry

www.5inchrail.com