The G&DLR begins.

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:29 pm

I've managed to finally have some proper running today with my little Lady Anne - 'Vyvyan'

After some further amending of track and wagons I've managed to not have a brake van incident which had been plaguing us recently.

The Station Master - Nigel inspecting the newcomer before the run.

The G&DR staff minus Bramble the Guard who was on duty when this picture was taken.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:21 pm

My cat passed on recently, I miss her sleeping on the railway in the afternoon sun...

Her coat was very similar to your puss although Molly was short-haired.

Every railway needs a station cat :D

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:41 pm

Blimey that's one stroppy looking mouser.

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:53 am

Hahaha mouser, your a very funny man, Nigel is the worst for catching something.

I once looked outside to find him in a tree with a Magpie and his initial reaction to try and touch it's bum...

He has a bit of a resting b***h face but i assure you he's a very sweet mog.

I remember seeing picture of molly on your thread, she looked lovely and I'm sorry to hear that. But you're right, every railway needs a station cat. The good thing is Vyvyan doesn't scare him unlike our old dog.

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:09 pm

So some slight progress is being made. Currently I have no buildings or infastructure at the) moment (hopefully until my birthday looms anyway ;) but for the moment I'm making gradual progress on a level crossing.

Gates to follow soon and hopefully few more bits.

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:51 pm

So recent updates have seen a coaling stage being built and more work on my level crossing.

I'm in two minds about whether to add a hand crane to the coaling stage but for the moment I'm happy with the outcome.

I've also managed to amend some of the scenic aspects of the line with replanting some of the heathers and conifers and adding bulbs to flower in April. I've also introduce some practical in the form of reclaimed bricks and paving from the parents and platform cladding from an old roof.

More to come...

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:50 am

Well it was my birthday the other day and with it being the big three-oh! I was treated to an extra special present from the fiancee in the form of a Modeltown wooden station kit. Once finances get better. Possibly at the start of next year I will invest for a couple more of their kits such as the station masters house, water tower and a signal box but I plan to just enjoy this build... more to come of it later along with some mods I have in mind.

In addition to all the other wood work I've been doing I have also made a start on some level crossing gates which once finish should be working. All of my structure work is going to be heavily influenced by the North Eastern Region with some other aspects thrown in. I wanted to have a crack of some new type slotted signals but truth be told they look nice but not very practical to build. The end result will hopefully see station area inspired by Grosmont of the NYMR and Andrews House Station on the Tanfield Railway... watch this space.

Well as I spent my Birthday at Whitby Goth Weekend (being one of those ilk) I decided to drag my poor other half to the NYMR which had stopped running full services (boo) but had a push pull service operated by a Black 5 and Class 37 (yay) which some some cracking wheelslip in the wet weather (sorry Laura).

I also managed to catch one of my favourite locomotives, the Q6 in light steam. She probably was running earlier that day or was being prepared but unfortunately we couldn't hang around to find out.

Though it got me thinking on a narrow gauge live steam equivalent using an old Edrig of Wrekin/Lawley power unit... again watch this space.

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:58 pm

what a lovly little railway

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:58 pm

Thank you, maybe next year I'll add a goods yard and engine shed but for the moment I'm quite happy making beginners mistakes.

I've just scratch built some lamps for the level crossing gates from bits of plastic square, strip wood, tube and spare bits from a dapol wagon kit.

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:28 pm

This might be the narrow guage equivalent of the Q6. I wish RH or Accucraft would make one of these!

http://c2project.org/

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:41 pm

I like the coaling stage you have built, I might have to have try that as I have loads of lollipop sticks!

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:19 pm

Thank you :)

I stocked up on a load of wooden plant labels from Wilko's. Incredibly versatile aids. Though I think in the winter season - lollypop sticks are the next best thing.

I like the C2 a lot but lacks the quaint British aesthetic of the Q6 and Accucraft engines.

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:35 pm

More progress work has been made

I've creosoted the planking on the coaling stage and level crossing floor. This has given overall a quite pleasing effect of weathering and replacements owing to the difference in reaction of the wood to the staining. I also hope that more natural effects such as weather, real coal and oil spill enhance the effects further.

The level crossing gates are almost ready for painting and assembly as most of the main components have now been fabricated only some hinges are lefts to be made.

With some of the spare wood that held together my IP engineering kits and offcuts I've created a station sign, mile and gradient posts, whistle and speed restriction signs and a sign to warn of trains. You'll see when they're painted up eventually.

Finally i've managed to put up one of my birthday presents to guide visitors to the railway.

;)

There are still a few more bits to build up and soon i will be planning line side huts and a pedestrian crossing as well as a couple of signals to compliment to the line side.

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:18 pm

Tidy work Mr T. I have yet to really get to grips with wood but hoping to have a go at a wooden "wood yard" over Xmas, assuming I ever finish this diesel...

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:29 am

Good luck with that - I love the Ruston btw.

A further update. I've managed to build a fence for the station area utilising some of the plant labels (not real difference to lolly sticks). I painted them up with some Cuprinol wood paint tester pots I obtained from Wilko's over the summer.

Some slight damage was sustain during the first night - no thanks to a certain fluffy moggy but all was repaired the morning after.

the paint seems to have only really half taken - probably due to a lack of proper preparation by moi. However, I am after a (as my fiancee would say) shabby chic affair so a tatty looking finish is right up my street.

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:59 pm

You, my friends, are an great modeller. Thank you for your kind words and no royalty attached. Unfortunately I have no plans to give out as really a lot of what I am making tends to be mashed together with what I've got and using my locomotive and track as a benchmark for scaling.

The coal is 100% genuine most of which I "acquired" from the NYMR and crushed to scale - so far I have several grades I've filtered out which suits my other scales too (2mm & 4mm) but larger chunks will be reserved for 16mm scale.

Thanks for your links, I'm looking to build a couple of wagons with theses once I have the time and inclination but at the rate of attrition and the enjoyment I am getting from building the scenics, that may have to wait until next year when I can buy some more.

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:08 pm

Very interesting especially as alternative uses of ballast. I'd be most interested in seeing images of that.

You should see my room - everything gets lost under everything else! but that's what I enjoy about this scale the model. It has that freedom of expression and individuality that can get lost in the smaller indoor scales.

I've just recently started to paint up some line side infrastructure which will eventually find their way along the line once everything begins to fall into place.

As mentioned before my main aspect of inspiration come from the things I've grown up inspired by. Grosmont Station, Tanfield, the Isle of Man, and the Hornby and Graham Farish train sets I received as Christmas presents are a child have al played a big influence.

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:13 pm

Freehand! It's not the best way if you want perfection and I'm sure I'd have found the results more crisper but I don't know - I quite like thinking I'm done it myself. It brings it back into a more workmanship outlook.

Saying that here's the results of the station - again...not perfect but I'm not really after perfect if I be quite honest. It's much rather everything lasts through the season that looks too preened.

Your fairy kingdom sounds pretty totalitarian to me!
Last edited by Sylvian Tennant on Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:27 pm

Today I have managed to get a tad further with the aesthetics of the line as work cancelled my shift - you win some you lose some.

This is what it looks like so far.

Upon a closer inspection you'll find I've now taken the coaling stage outside with a gap in place for a water tower for the future. The loco wasn't running today but was required to gauge everything around the platform and the curves.

The station sign is now in it's rightful place... so to be complimented by a station building.

Now all the signage is in place and bring some more dimension to the railway itself. All of them were treated with Ronseal satin varnish which leaves a slightly tanned finished - but truth me told it just helps to make the white look a little weathered.

The "Beware the trains" sign will eventually be complimented by small footpath crossing similar to the planked level crossing.

That's your lots for now the ground is still bare although the bulbs have now been planted for next spring and one of the conifers doesn't look to healthy and made need replacing. There is also some serious deballasting to do after the surrounding improvements and weather have taken their toll on the initially work. Hopefully the level crossing should be on it's way soon - but then i've also got to consider the station building and other bits as well!

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:26 am

I do like your signs - they're clear, legible and have character too.
Rheilffordd Moel Rhos: blog - photos - videos