Motor Mule and some Ancient History

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
sandy1000
Cleaner
Cleaner

Motor Mule and some Ancient History

Post by sandy1000 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:57 am

Almost as tired as I am getting this far in trying to post more MM photos. More tomorrow.

This second photo shows 2 famous GR locomotives. The yellow Simplex is the one that appears ever so frequently in early GR books and magazine articles. It is of course a locomotive of the Compton Downs Railway. I bought it at a swap meet in the late 1980s. That big, black brute in the background "Dain Ironfoot" (and it was named long before the movies were produced) also appeared in a number of early GR publications and its construction was featured in an early edition 16mm Assoc. magazine. I also bought this one as well at a 16mm exhibition. I later met the builder through David Pinniger and was told that it could climb a brick wall and I wouldn't surprised if it did so. It was the first 16mm to the foot loco we ever bought and for several months after we bought it, it simply ran up and down a window sill - there was something addictive about pushing that long floor mounted gear lever forwards and off it would go slowly grinding and bumping along - throw the lever back and reverse the whole procedure. No speed control but plenty of low geared "oomph."

They are now both a long way from home (some thousands of miles)and if anyone were to set up a museum or collection of early GR items I am happy to lend or donate them even. Something open to the public or at least readily available to GR enthusiasts. The original Archangel Brick would be the centrepiece of it all I would imagine.
Last edited by sandy1000 on Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

tuppenced
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by tuppenced » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:23 pm

Well done, Sandy!
Looking forward to more.

D

sandy1000
Cleaner
Cleaner

Re: Tired Motor Mules

Post by sandy1000 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:07 pm

sandy1000:119294 wrote:Image

Almost as tired as I am getting this far in trying to post more MM photos. More tomorrow.
We have 2 of these bought in the UK, one from Tom Cooper himself.

They run on AA batteries, have speed control via a large filter mounted on top of the engine compartment and and on/off switch is in the cab. Scale is unusual somewhere between 1:19 and 7/8th scales I reckon.  Very powerful and free running. The detail is quite fine - the beading around the cab doors and the rivets also seem to be scaled just right,

tuppenced
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by tuppenced » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:30 pm

You're right about the scale, which is hugely bigger than 16mm but not really 7/8".

They were made for Tom by Roger Hines, who later downscaled it to the Mini Mule, still available from Essel (Stephen Lacey).

To be fair to Tom, those were the days when "16mm" was even more elastic than LGB, and Ron Grant was doing a brisk trade with his absolutely enormous gutsy Kerr Stuart.

David

GTB
Driver
Driver

Re: Tired Motor Mules

Post by GTB » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:07 pm

sandy1000:119298 wrote: We have 2 of these bought in the UK, one from Tom Cooper himself.
Looks like one of the later builds with etched bodywork. Early builds don't have the beading and rivets on the cab.

If you look underneath, you may find it's builders no. is scratched on the footplate between the driving axles.

I restored one a few years ago that had been butchered to run on track power. All the original electronics had been stripped out, but I understand that originally the models were powered with a lead-acid sealed battery and that a radio option was also offered.

The before and after photos of the restoration are here. You'll see this is one of the early ones, with handcut bodywork, rather than etched. I added the cab beading, but drew the line at rivets. Great models for an operating layout, solidly built and with good pulling power.

http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about5095.html

The original Motor Mule models are a bit overscale in 16mm/ft scale for the 50HP model of the Fowler motor locomotive, but will still fit through the same size hole in the scenery as a Roundhouse Bertie. Fowler built locos mostly for export and like their steam locos, the prototypes were large by UK 2' gauge standards.

The fly in the jam pot, as LBSC used to say, is that the 50HP model was an 0-6-0 and the Motor Mule is markedly longer than it should be for a 0-4-0...........

The restored 30HP 0-4-0 loco ex Plane Creek Mill is currently located in the Puffing Billy museum at Menzies Creek in Vic. and there is a 50HP 0-6-0 loco ex Condong Mill at Menangle in NSW.

There was a GA drawing of the 50HP Fowler published in Light Railways, Issue 204, Dec 2008. That issue is now out of print, but available from the LRRSA as a download.

Regards,
Graeme

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:25 pm

I have a soft spot for these engines. Trouble is they don't appear very often.

sandy1000
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by sandy1000 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:41 pm

sandy1000
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by sandy1000 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:51 pm

sandy1000:119375 wrote:Image
Here is a photo of the 2 MMs. The figure is one of those universal scale items loosely termed G scale. The locos look like giants from this angle

sandy1000
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by sandy1000 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:06 am

It is strange how things can happen. I put up photos of 2 MOTOR MULES to demonstrate the need to have them permanently coupled when I see another post on Roundhouse's new battery
powered "Bulldog." Looking up the specs on these I see that they use an ESC ''Locoglyde" which seems to be just right to be placed into each MM allowing each loco to be totally independent.

So everything is on hold at present while I investigate these ESC from ROUNDHOUSE. in fact a complete Bulldog as well might as well be called for. That very deep green would be a suitable color.