The Iron Road....ironing board layout

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Crackingjob
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

The Iron Road....ironing board layout

Post by Crackingjob » Thu May 26, 2016 3:22 pm

I have seen layouts on ironing boards ...but to be frank it's a layout dropped on top, using an ironing board to support it as a table.....BUT......one that is one with the ironing board....well chaps here we are.
The original concept included a clothes horse and a sink.....they will come at phase 2 along with board covers and washing!
Phase 1 is to prove the concept....cheap and cheerful. Six boards cost £10 from the charity shop ( having spent ages ensuring they went to the same height....got strange looks!!!), 99p for the wire ties ( to tie track down until pernamently fixed, and to allow a few removeble sections for packing down).
Track is mamod with Tenmillie butted in (it butts in better than Peco with less filing).
Fits in the car taking up less room than the stock boxes.
Early days.
All very AWNUTS, very cheap portable layout.

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Thu May 26, 2016 3:36 pm

LIKE!!
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

tuppenced
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by tuppenced » Thu May 26, 2016 4:03 pm

DITTO!

Crackingjob
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Crackingjob » Thu May 26, 2016 4:50 pm

MDLR:118241 wrote:LIKE!!
Sorry it was too late for your budget corner at the 16 mm show...but there is time for next year.....thanks

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Thu May 26, 2016 7:34 pm

How big is it?
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu May 26, 2016 7:35 pm

I don't know what to say.... I'm just sitting here shaking my head thinking to myself, I've met this guy, and nothing should surprise me about him... then this!
Definitely one for the Association Show.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Crackingjob
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Crackingjob » Thu May 26, 2016 7:56 pm

MDLR:118245 wrote:How big is it?

Approx 6 X 10 as it stands and 37" up.....I think the sink etc would take it 12 or 13' long.......I had thought of using one for the association modular layout but not sure if Mr Jones would go for it.

Peter....what supprises you?....you the creator of creations I admire!

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Thu May 26, 2016 8:13 pm

I've put Laurence Smith (Show Director) onto it - he'll be in touch!
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

sstjc
Fireman
Fireman

Post by sstjc » Tue May 31, 2016 1:50 pm

Oh my word I love it... What a fantastic idea... I really hope both this and I make it to next years show. In fact a slap of matt paint on those ironing boards would make them blend in and would give a nice naturally textured surface. Fantastic !
Barry
Regards
Barry

www.5inchrail.com

Crackingjob
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Crackingjob » Tue May 31, 2016 3:57 pm

I can see what you mean Barry re the textured surface, but being AWNUTS & Rowland Emett type chap not for me...but however for others ideal, as the metal surface will put up with a lot of punishment and the webbing allows easy fitting of track, buildings , greenery etc.
The only thing I have found is that the board surfaces need to be flat and I might have to add a strut or two here and there to ensure a level surface...they tend to flex a lot.
Trying several set ups over the next week to see how well it goes...but a cheap alternative to heavy wood bases, and can be cut and re welded easily in to oblongs for the purist layout merchant.

Come on folks what's your most unusual layout base or your IRON (ing board )ROAD????

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Tue May 31, 2016 8:52 pm

PM Sent... ;)
No one expects the SPANISH ACQUISITION!!!

dizzysteamer
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by dizzysteamer » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:14 am

That's excellent very clever idea :D

dizzysteamer :)
Amateur engineer,  frustrated would be locomotive driver😊

St.Michael
Fireman
Fireman

Post by St.Michael » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:24 pm

SPLENDID !!
I love the idea (and I think I may borrow it sometime...) :shock:

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:51 pm

ha ha now that is very funny please keep us posted with more pictures.it will look even funnier with clothes an iron pot of tea on the side maybe even some fish and chips in the paper .im sure everyone could think of some funny names for the railway .keep up the good work and great sense of humour

Crackingjob
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Crackingjob » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:15 am

Thanks for the comments....I do have plans for a sink and clothes horse to create a harbour??? and a bridge respectively .
Unfortunatly due to me dithering due to a combination of uncertainty re work and family problems I failed to reply fully re my invitation to the 16mm show and had the invitation withdrawn.....there's a first! My fault! So it will remain a fun item taken out on rest days for a bit of test running.........

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:12 am

Crackingjob:122161 wrote:Unfortunatly due to me dithering due to a combination of uncertainty re work and family problems I failed to reply fully re my invitation to the 16mm show and had the invitation withdrawn.....there's a first!
Laurence may well keep your details on file for 2018............
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

sstjc
Fireman
Fireman

Post by sstjc » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:13 am

I'm not likely to make the 2017 show but I think it is a great pity it won't be there. It may just be a bit of fun but for some people who don't have gardens it would provide a great deal of inspiration. I, for instance, am likely to move from a rented house to a flat in the next few months and will have no options for running outside. I should say at this point that I do not have any track outside where I am now but had been gathering track.

My main interest, although I own an IP Jane which may be up for sale soon, is little battery electrics and your ironing board layout is a good solution to the problem of how to have a small easily stored layout in a small flat especially as I prefer my engines to run round and round rather than end to end. Thus the likes of John Rogers, Brian Dominic and the late Carl Arendt amongst a few others all provide some inspiration. I think your ironing board layout would be ideal in Cheap n' Cheerf.... Sorry, Budget Boulevard !

Just to go off topic somewhat... The other issue that has come to mind in my observations is that while the local groups provide somewhere to run for the steam driven engines, having taken quite an interest in where I could run my electric mice when I no longer have a garden for even a temporary track, there seems to be very little if any electric mice activity on local group tracks as my research of the local groups suggests they all seem, perhaps unsurprisingly, very steam orientated. Is there a solution for the gardenless ?

Barry
Regards
Barry

www.5inchrail.com

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:12 pm

sstjc:122178 wrote:I think your ironing board layout would be ideal in Cheap n' Cheerf.... Sorry, Budget Boulevard !
*ROARS of laughter!!* I wanted to call it Cheap 'n Cheerful Corner but got overuled!
sstjc:122178 wrote:The other issue that has come to mind in my observations is that while the local groups provide somewhere to run for the steam driven engines, having taken quite an interest in where I could run my electric mice when I no longer have a garden for even a temporary track, there seems to be very little if any electric mice activity on local group tracks as my research of the local groups suggests they all seem, perhaps unsurprisingly, very steam orientated. Is there a solution for the gardenless?
Yes - turn up early and get some running in whilst the steamy lot are getting organised, and run when they all knock off for tea / coffee / sandwiches - in other words, make them sit up and take notice!
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

Crackingjob
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Crackingjob » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:36 pm

I am glad it is giving some inspiration....yes ideal for battery and clockwork....not tried steam......you may have to add some cross members as I have found the edges drooping!!!
Folded away it fits nicely into a small cupboard, mine are staved upright possibly foot and a half to 2 foot deep....must confess not measured.
The great thing is that you can change track layout as track secured by wire ties . I have a rolling road and as a work test bench just one will be useful.
I agree re turning up before the steam boys get going and hog the track....I do that and often offer my battery loco as a test train before things get going.....there are always problems....I also wait until the steamy a go off for tea and buns, then jump on.....my group let me run a funnies session...very nice of them
Go for it and try one or two boards out as an end to end first....just make sure they all open out to the same height.

sstjc
Fireman
Fireman

Post by sstjc » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:57 am

A funnies session ?????

You knew i'd have to ask !

(and YES Brian couldn't resist it - Still think it should have been cheap & cheerful.... It appeals to the care and attention with which I nurture the mothballs in my wallet !)

Barry :lol: :lol: :lol:
Regards
Barry

www.5inchrail.com