Norinoo Jct. Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:20 am

Finished the turntable and got it installed.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:37 am

Now that is cute with a capital "C". Do hope the plastic pivot works for you. Would you envisage a bowl or some cover, to stop the pit filling with leaves etc. when not in use.
Grant.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:37 pm

Or Quaint, with a capital "Q"! Very nice, I like it!

Andrew.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:27 pm

Great work Dwayne, that looks fantastic!
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Sun May 15, 2016 4:54 am

A few days ago Creeping Charlie, a down on his luck prospector, discovered an outcrop of Figment not far from Inukshuk on the east side of Hondo Hill. Management of the NJRway offered to run rails to the location for a 51% interest and a bottle of Fireball whisky which he gleefully accepted.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 2561243144

The sole crew member of the NJRwy track gang got a late start today on putting down track but managed to cut out a section of main, build a new switch and got it installed before dark.

BTW... Figment is used in Imagination, a necessary ingredient of garden railroading. ;)

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun May 15, 2016 5:02 am

Cute was also the first word that popped into my head when I saw the completed turntable, it looks great.

Your track work always looks the part as well, keep the pictures coming please...

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Sun May 15, 2016 8:00 pm

Hi Dwayne,

Absolutely fantastic! The speed at which you come up with ideas and turn them into reality is breath-taking. If you could put it in a packet you could market it as 'Instant Garden Railway'!

Andrew

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Mon May 16, 2016 2:33 am

Thanks Andrew. Truth be told I've been mulling for weeks what to do with the mainline between the south end of Hope and the long sweeping curve that traverses the rock wall along the driveway that leads to Inukshuk. All in all I'm pretty much a hack when it comes to garden railroading.

With the idea of the mine came something completely unplanned... a tunnel!

Read about it:

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Sun May 22, 2016 3:34 pm

Experimental tunnel portal was a success. Now onto the actual units.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Sun May 22, 2016 7:47 pm

Great stuff Dwayne. I'm currently debating tunnel construction myself, it's one of the next jobs on the list for me. I shall study your work in more detail.

There are some nice pictures on your site ...... but aren't your chickens a bit overscale? :oops:

Andrew

merlin2
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by merlin2 » Sun May 22, 2016 7:50 pm

Fantastic railway Dwayne, it has a unique character and charm even at this early stage in its development. I look forward to seeing future pictures.
As Charlie has only recently discovered his Figment deposit, where did you get your initial supply as there is obviously plenty feeding your imagination - any chance of a consignment? :D
I have to admire your track and point-work, it really does look authentic; I used to build fine-scale 18mm (EM) gauge track years ago and I know that its not quite as simple as you make out - it takes an element of skill to get it right, whatever the scale, and you obviously have that skill.
Merlin

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Sun May 22, 2016 8:53 pm

Andrew, Merlin...

The monster chickens are pretty much harmless unlike something that might be seen in an old black and white movie where cities are destroyed.

With the test portal being successful, this morning I constructed the actual mold for the portals that will go onto the layout.

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Wed May 25, 2016 12:21 am

Extracted the portal from the mold this afternoon. Unfortunately there is a small hairline crack at the top inner corner but am hoping the hardware cloth will prevent separation. Will give the concrete a few more days to dry out before attempting to position the portal. Photos at the link below:

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Wed May 25, 2016 2:40 am

The track crew was busy this afternoon grading the r.o.w. and then placement of additional track extending from Mags towards the future town of Chancy.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Wed May 25, 2016 7:30 pm

Hi Dwayne,

Great work again, nice to see the railway extending.

The tunnel portal looks great and I doubt the cracking is anything more than surface, even if it does go deeper I think your reinforcement will keep boby and soul together. You could try leaving it immersed in water for a week or two to help the concerete cure fully.

Al lthe best,

Andrew

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Thu May 26, 2016 4:09 am

Andrew, thanks for the comment. This really is my first attempt at pouring concrete in forms for this specific purpose. Definitely learning a few things as I go along.

Our daytime temps the past three days since I did the pour has been around 90°F (30°C) so that may have sped up the drying process even though I kept the mold in shade and cool.

In spite of the small crack, I had time this evening to install the portal. I'm quite happy with how it came out and looks now that it's on the layout. :)

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Thu May 26, 2016 9:10 pm

Hi Dwayne,

This is a great first attempt. I'd go so far as to call it a first success!

The important thing to remember about concrete going off and gaining it's strength is that it's not a drying out process, it's a chemical reaction. Water is actually a very important element of that reaction.

I'm sad to say that after five years training as a Civil Engineering Technician (more years ago than I care to remember - or admit to!) That is just about the sum total of what I can remember from all those Concrete Technology lectures I sat through!:oops:

All the best,

Andrew

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Sat May 28, 2016 2:21 am

Thanks Andrew. I'm happy with it and the detail of the faux "plank lines". With a long weekend on the docket starting tomorrow I'll move onto the second portal.

The line extension from Mags to the new town site of Chancy progressed a bit the past two evenings. Another switch will need to be built to provide a siding beside the dead end main (which could potentially be expanded in the future).

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Sat May 28, 2016 6:25 am

That's looking really good, Dwayne. I like the way it just wanders through the landscape, the sand ballast, and the general atmosphere of industrial railroading.

Cheers,
Peter in AZ
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Sat May 28, 2016 1:24 pm

Thank you Peter. This little layout seems to have nailed what I've wanted for some time. I attribute this to the influence of UK layouts layouts where folks blend rail and leaf.