Norinoo Jct. Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Mon May 30, 2016 11:24 pm

Some progress today...

Second tunnel portal came out of the mold:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 2561243144

---

Finally finished the two tracks coming off the turntable for the engine facility:

---

And added another six foot of track to reach the new town site of Chancy:

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue May 31, 2016 10:58 am

The pictures look great and show much progress, but that green stuff is likely to overtake you soon..... it smothers everything unless you take control.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Tue May 31, 2016 12:52 pm

For the moment the greenery is on a major growth spurt as we're getting plenty of rain. However, this being Oklahoma, much of it will succumb to the heat by the time summer fully arrives. Keeping plants alive during those months would require deep pockets to pay the monthly water bill... something I don't have.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Tue May 31, 2016 7:17 pm

Hi Dwayne,

The line is really beginning to establish itself in the landscape now, parts look as if they've been there for years. I'm impressed by you track and the formation in general every time I look at photo's of the line.

Keep up the good work, I know I won't be the only one looking forward to seeing shots of the train service in operation!

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue May 31, 2016 8:39 pm

Great progress Dwayne. Reminds of the head of steel pushing out into the prairies. Be interested to see how the line develops.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:37 am

Andrew, Rik... many thanks.

Other than a couple more feet of track to install at the new site of Chancy and the siding to serve the Figment Mine on Hondo Hill, all the track I think I'll ever have is installed. I wanted to get that done before the heat of summer really gets here.

When I get the track completed I'll move on to designing and building structures for the layout. Fortunately this can be done indoors in the comfort of air conditioning. I'll also begin working on my fleet of freight cars. Big challenge for me there will be turning wheels on the lathe as I've never done it before.

This evening I worked on installing the second tunnel portal. Unfortunately rain this evening delayed progress and by the time I got it installed darkness and mosquitoes hindered my taking a few photos.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:32 am

Not only am I impressed by your railway build but more so by the way you do it despite the conditions nature sends your way.
Have you considered moving to Mars where it might be easier?

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:07 pm

Since men originally come from Mars, building a garden railway there would be a piece of cake. :D

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:56 am

In spite of the steady rainfall the past few days I was able to install the second portal yesterday evening.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:18 pm

Hi Dwayne,

That looks really good, I love the wing wall. The rawness of the concrete will weather rapidly and once it does it's going to blend in beautifully to the landscape. Your beautifully trimmed earthworks will provide a superb foundation for the vegetation. Once the greenery starts to establish itself the benefits of neatly formed ground profiles will become very clear and all the effort will have been worthwhile. :D

Andrew

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:09 am

Thank you Andrew. The steady rains of late are causing the plant life to grow like gangbusters. More showers this afternoon though there was a break that lasted long enough for me to dig some dirt from another part of the yard and dump it onto Hondo Hill above the tunnel.

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:56 am

With the additional dirt work Fallon Mountain currently stands about three foot above the top of the rails. It's east flank cascades down to the edge of the driveway an additional eighteen inches, giving it an overall height of about four and a half feet on that side. Once the vegetation covers it, it'll be nearly as tall as Everest. ;)

Taking a cue from the High Line of the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad (a must ride for anyone who gets the chance), the rails that will serve the Figment Mine will skirt the eastern flank on a narrow ledge and employ cribbing, retaining walls and bridges as it runs to the mine which will hang onto the side of Hondo Hill. This bit of track will be the most exciting, scenic part of the entire layout.  :)

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:01 am

Impressive groundwork there Dwayne, I hope the sun has a chance to bake it hard before the rain washes it away again.
The figment Mine railway sounds a great idea and I am looking forward to watching that develop.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:37 pm

Lord love us and save us! I thought I was involved in some bulk muck shifting but this is truly impressive. Great work Dwayne, things are certainly coming together now. I look forward to seeing some trains running before too long.

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:14 am

Peter... the rains look like they'll be diminishing for the most part. The extended forecast is calling for sun and high temperatures up around 90°F (about 30°C) for the next few weeks. Summer is about to start in earnest.

Andrew... shoveling dirt is nothing new to me. Back in '87 after a four year stint in USAF at the age of 22 I hired on with my local natural gas utility. I soon became an expert at working a Mexican backhoe. The amount of dirt I've moved as an employee of that utility and as homeowner with nothing more than a shovel and wheelbarrow would very much fill a fleet of dump trucks. An added benefit is that at the current age of 51 my health is excellent and I'm a trim 165 lbs.

And trains have been running but without much real purpose for the moment since there are no structures to give the illusion of purpose as I am drawn to operations. In the coming weeks with the onset of summer heat finally arriving I'll be working on designing and building structures and expand my meager fleet of freight cars.

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:03 pm

The NJRwy crew constructed and installed cribbing beside the south portal of Chick Tunnel.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:34 pm

Hi Dwayne,

You've got a couple of years (and a couple of pounds) on me but like you I still like to keep by hand in with the shovel.

The cribbing looks very good. It's a very good idea to help stabilise slopes and reduce washouts.

Andrew

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:52 am

Andrew... one of my life goals is to die healthy. At the current rate I think it'll be achieved. ;)

---

The crew continued working on the track this afternoon. Bent six feet of track, spiked it down to the ties, then installed it around the shoulder of Fallon Mtn. A portion of the cribbing that will support the roadbed was also installed before quitting time and a few beers.

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:17 am

Continued onward with the completion of the cribbing.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:54 am

The pictures are great.... cribbing looks very impressive, dog looks less impressed!
Keep 'em coming.