What to do in London

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
Furtebua
New User
New User

What to do in London

Post by Furtebua » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:43 am

As a x-mas gift I'm taking my boy to London for a weekend in february. Which museums and places should a gardenrailer visit?

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:52 pm

It all depends.................

Unfortunately the London Toy & Model Museum has closed, so THAT'S out.

I would suggest the London Transport Museum at Covent Garden - it's more of a "visitor attraction" than a proper museum these days, but it's still worth a visit.

If you have a large anorak, try the Brunel Museum http://www.brunel-museum.org.uk/ - interesting but the access is "challenging".

One for the GF would be the Geffrye Museum http://www.geffrye-museum.org.uk/ which is a museum of interiors form the 17th century up to at least the 1970s.

Finally, if you like your TV, consider a trip around Broadcasting House - you'll be able to sit on The One Show's settee and see the News Room going flat out.
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

sjnovis
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by sjnovis » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:02 am

I always like the science museum, there usually plenty of interactive exhibits to keep all ages entertained.

maxi-model
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by maxi-model » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:14 am

Depends on your interests and how much time you want to spend in a museum. Go to South Kensington on the Underground, can't go wrong here. You have the Science Museum, Geological Museum, Natural History Museum and Victoria and Albert Museum. All are free to enter and have extra "special exhibitions/attractions" which are chargeable. Currently the Science Museum have the "Cosmonauts" special exhibition on - totally amazing. Harrods department store is just one stop up on the Underground.

Check London Underground Museum site for open days at their Acton Town based "Depot". Again easily accessed by adjacent Underground station. Max

Busted Bricks
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Busted Bricks » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:56 am

If you like steam engines, I recommend Kew Bridge Steam Museum. Try to go on a day when they run the engines.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:39 am

Tower Bridge and the original steam powered drive system beneath, The London Eye and HMS Belfast moored on the Thames are all worth a look.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Furtebua
New User
New User

Post by Furtebua » Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:01 pm

Thanks for all good ideas. Are there any shops with 16mm' stuff in London? I have googled, but haven't found any.

Busted Bricks
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Busted Bricks » Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:14 pm

I doubt you will find any shops in London that carry anything 16mm related. After all, it is a niche hobby and many vendors are mainly online vendors.