Back to the Kotanga Tramway.

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Annie
Fireman
Fireman

Back to the Kotanga Tramway.

Post by Annie » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:21 am

After being away from railway modelling for so long it's been nice to dig out my large scale models again and start to think about building a layout. I still own quite a bit of '0' gauge tinplate and for a while there I was weighing up in my mind whether to build a new '0' gauge layout up instead, but you will all be glad to know that the Kotanga Tramway won out and I feel really happy about that decision.

I like making things which wouldn't have been so possible with a tinplate train layout and besides if I sell off all my tinplate stuff it will provide funds for me to go ahead with the Kotanga Tramway. Another thing with old tinplate stuff is the fear of scratching it or otherwise damaging it which isn't such a problem with robust 7/8 scale handbuilt models.

Here in New Zealand the Waikato District and the Hauraki District where I now live had many tramways to provide local transport solutions as a way to get timber to sawmills and primary produce from farms to the river wharves. The rivers around here were a major part of the local transport network up until the 1950s.

This is a picture of the main street of the town where I live taken in 1900 just after the tramway that ran down the main street was lifted. Photos from this time are very hard to find and needless to say the town looks very different now. The one building in town which would have been from this period, - a pub, - was demolished recently to make way for a McDonalds :x I have no idea how that deal was swung because it was supposed to be a listed building and a lot of folk around here were very angry about the whole affair.

So what I was thinking was, - what if the tramway wasn't lifted until say 1940 or so it would make a really interesting theme for a model. Due to both the lack of space available for a huge layout and the lack of suitable period photos I couldn't build a true replica, but I certainly know enough about the town and its surroundings to build something in the spirit of the street tramway. I gave up being a finescale modeller years ago and I like a little whimsey so this will be all about relaxing and just enjoying myself.

45mm gauge is pretty much the default for garden railway sized models here in New Zealand so I will be staying with that. Who knows if my health improves I may want to do layout visits.

Some of you will remember 'Emily' built and modified from a Locolines kit and runs on a cutdown Echo toy train underbase. One side of her says she is a Bagnall and the other says she is a Barclay; - Must do something about that one day ;)

Well Emily is still going to be a big part of my plans even though she's a fairly strapping young lass for a tramway loco. One job that does need doing is raising her cab roof a little higher because it's a bit low for a 7/8ths loco and the crew needed their legs shortening so they would fit.

I use these kinds of wooden dollshouse people as 7/8ths people by the way. They are cheap to buy, easy to modify and it's fun making clothes for them.

A local company makes 1/24th laser cut MDF dolls house kits at a nice price and I was wondering about asking if they could re-size one of their kits for me and cut it out to 7/8th scale.
This is the house kit I have my eye on. It would be very easy to modify and detail to represent a typical building on the mainstreet. As well as that it would save me the effort of having to cut the basic structure out myself as i still get tired very easily.
What has Reality done for you lately?

tuppenced
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by tuppenced » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:49 am

You're doing the Right Thing, Annie!

I'm mostly 1/24 scale on 45mm gauge but do a have a 7/8th locomotive and a bundle of plans, strip-wood etc.

While I hear there are very few 16 millers on 32mm gauge in NZ, you might still find common cause with them at their email group:
https://au.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/16milnz/info

David

My City refused McDonalds permission to demolish a pub, so they did the right thing too and got their architect to fit them into it without changing the exterior.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:52 am

I like the look of that house kit as well.

It would be a good base to detail or modify...

Annie
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Annie » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:54 am

Thanks for the tip about the 16mm folk and their Yahoo group tuppenced, - I've applied to join just this very minute :D

I need to check over the dimensions the maker has given for that house tom tom. It does seem to be quite small for a 1/24th scale house, but once I've had my ruler out I should know more.

I've done some more digging about and was very pleased to discover that the local historical society has put more of their photo collection on line which is going to help me a lot.
There were two wharves in town, one was a small one accessed off Wharf Street (where else!) and a larger wharf around 2 miles out of town at the river junction. For obvious reasons the smaller wharf is the one that interests me because it's smaller and close by the main street. Apparently it silted up and fell out of use, but my modeller's licence says I can have it still working in the period between the wars.
And look at this, - an official drawing!

And a photo or two,,,,,,
ImageImage

I've even found a photo of the building on the corner of Wharf Street!

And a photo with the Tramway still in place!

The tramway was a horse drawn tramway, but because I'm not making any kind of strictly historical model and the town is going to be much compressed I shall take out my modeller's licence again and do pretty much wot I like. Because of the flood banks that were built all along the local rivers in the 1950s nothing of the old town wharf remains, but that doesn't matter so much now that I have the Public Works drawing and the old photos.

tuppenced
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by tuppenced » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:22 pm

That wharf is great. Even if I don't find a place for one of my own, it shows what timber sizes were used in that place at that time.

In particular the 20" x 12" stringers can be represented by cheap and readily-available 35mm x 22mm pressure-treated roofing laths:
- placed up on edge they make single stringers in 7/8" scale.
- placed down flat they make pairs of stringers side-by-side in 1/2" scale.
   That's cheered me up a lot, thanks!

Ozzie track is harder because, unlike the sophisticated Kiwis, they hardly ever used sawn timber. Modelling round logs isn't too difficult, but it takes time and machinery, and sometimes more money.
I am comparing two methods:
- running a round treated tree pole through a planing machine (quick but expensive)
- turning the edges off a rectangular treated lath on a wood-turning lathe (cheap but slower).
And of course each leaves different surfaces vulnerable to rot.

David

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:43 pm

The house is quite elegant Annie, and if clad with weatherboard timber would look perfect for a NZ town house of its time. I'm thinking of those houses in Tinakori Rd in Wellington. Maybe ornate ironwork on the verandah?
:)

Annie
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Annie » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:32 pm

Yes I thought that old wharf drawing would be of interest to more people than just myself David. I don't envy the task you've set yourself with accurately modelling Ozzie track though.

Invicta, - yes exactly, -those are the style of buildings I will be aiming for though perhaps a little less fancy as it's a rural town and not a city like Wellington. Fortunately examples of buildings of the right era have survived all over the Thames, Hauraki and Waikato Districts so I won't find it too difficult to do any necessary research.

Annie
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Annie » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:17 am

This is a 2ft 9" gauge loco that worked in the district where I live. At a guess I would say it worked on the Victoria Battery tramway that served the quartz stamp batteries and other gold mining related industrial plant which still exists in ruinous form some miles away from where I live. The tramway and museum is presently looked after by a group of enthusiasts, but I'm fairly certain they have diesel and battery electric locos and any steam locos that worked there are long gone to the big engine shed in the sky. Stop Press! One of their battery electrics is named 'Empire' which sort of points a finger in the right direction.

After further research I've discovered that they had six steam locos over the years on the tramway and going by the photos some of them are very nice looking indeed.
Another photo of 'Empire' but in working trim this time.

Anyway the result of all this research is that 45mm gauge is just perfect to represent 2ft 9" gauge trackwork at 16mm scale so I don't have to rebuild 'Emily's' cab. I'm assuming by the way that 2ft 9" gauge was also used here in town and if not my modeller's licence will let me get away with it.
It seems that the reason why 2ft 9" gauge was used around here for tramways is that anything 3ft gauge and over required more strict government inspection.
And another good thing is that if I'm going to work to a nominal 16mm scale I can go ahead and use those nice MDF laser cut kits without having to get them cut to a larger size :D

I'm not being a rivet counter it's just that I can't go ahead and plan the model town and tramway if I'm uncertain about the scale I'm working to!

And if anyone is mourning my apparent abandonment of 7/8ths scale I will remind you that my Ewings monorail system models are all built to 7/8ths scale and I haven't forgotten about those.

Tropic Blunder
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Tropic Blunder » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:39 am

Another positive of modelling in 16mm scale is you can still use those Doll house models as long as you put them in the background. 45mm also ensures that you can go to others lines in NZ
Jake

tuppenced
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by tuppenced » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:03 am

Only yesterday I read that there was very little 2' gauge in NZ. D

Annie
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Annie » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:10 am

Maybe there wasn't that many lines that used 2ft something gauge here in NZ, but certainly in the case of the tramways around the Hauraki District they covered a lot of ground area. :D

The Takaka Tramway in Nelson was a two footer.

I used the Takaka flat car design as the basis for building a flat car for the Kotanga Tramway. Interestingly Takaka's rolling stock list consisted of just the one loco, several of these flat cars and a passenger coach able to carry 12-14 people. With Kotanga's traffic being much the same, - wool bales, timber, produce, hardware and machinery for the sawmill and mines & etc I can see myself needing to build at least two more.

If the weather is fine tomorrow I think I shall call by the joinery workshop here in town and see if I can raid their scrap box so I can make a start on the next two flatcars.

Annie
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Annie » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:16 am

This is the style of couplings I'm using for the Kotanga Tramway. I make the hooks and chains from galvanised wire using beading pliers.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:19 am

Very nice tidy work Annie. Your choice of wood seems to be a good option and works well.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Annie
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Annie » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:37 pm

Thanks Peter :) The deck planking on the flat car is made from ice lolly sticks from the local craft shop. According to the packet they are beechwood. The rest of the timber work is hand sawn from pine off-cuts from the local joinery workshop using a razor saw. I find it a very relaxing and enjoyable way to build goods wagons.

My present project is a mill slab wagon and I think I'm only going to need one of these. The sides are only propped into place because I haven't made the necessary ironwork to mount them yet.

Image[/b]

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:05 pm

Surprisingly I have only recently recognised the importance of industrial wagons and the way they are constructed. They represent a most important part of railways such as ours. I have spent most of my modelling years trying to build larger and more imposing vehicles but I am trying to redress the balance.
I am most impressed with the historic photographs you are posting. There are wonderful scenes which will make a lovely landscape for your trains to run through. As you are so good with wooden construction you should have no problem in creating convincing structures.

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:22 pm

They're very nice! I use Free Modelling Material form my local CostaNeroBucks for all sorts of things - from mixing paint and epoxy glue (the grotty ones) to planking.
Last edited by MDLR on Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

Annie
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Annie » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:06 pm

Thanks Brian :)

Peter, I'm very lucky in that we have a very good historical society here in town with an extensive photograph collection. The local society has also placed all of their journals they published over the years on-line which has made research very easy indeed. The Kotanga Tramway is only intended to capture the spirit of the tramways that operated in the district where I live, but if I was building a true scale model I don't think I would be complaining very much about the availability of useful historical material.

Main street 1912.

Annie
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Annie » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:06 pm

I just gave myself a nasty surprise. I needed to order some more brass rod and other bits and bobs so I went to the on-line store of a large Kiwi hobby shop. I found what I wanted at minimal cost, but then thought I'd have a look at wot RTR railway stuff costs these days.......
Do people really pay those prices! :shock: I know I haven't stepped inside a hobby shop for years and with scratchbuilding and making things from recycled junk I don't buy much off the shelf stuff, but seriously I couldn't believe how much plain old ordinary British outline 00 costs these days.

Well I know what my New Years resolution is going to be this year, - keep on scratchbuilding!

Planning continues to go ahead and it won't be very long before I'll have a provisional plan of the first stage of the layout to show you. I have a large bare wooden panel door which I purchased new some time ago so I could build Lego towns & etc on it, but now I want it to build Kotanga's main street on. Today wasn't much of a good day for me so I'm hoping I'll be feeling better tomorrow so I can get this board cleared off and all the Lego put away in readiness for setting it up in its new location.

Being a woman of slender means I'm seriously thinking of recycling the rail from the hundreds of pieces of '0' gauge tinplate track I own and re-gauging it to 45mm on wooden sleepers. Initial experiments have shown that Marx and Lionel 027 rail will be fine with Emily's wheel flanges and will have the proper flat bottomed lightweight appearance to represent tramway rail. With it being used indoors and with battery traction it should last forever; - and since I've already got it the price is right.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:15 pm

Good plan Annie... possibly more fiddly and time consuming but if you are in no hurry it will be worthwhile. The photographs you posted show the rail buried in roadway so it make no difference what you use as long as it works.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:52 pm

Hi Annie,

That's a great looking loco.

Does the tinplate track have enough collector value to finance the purchase of replacement rail of a more prototypical and almost certainly less fragile, profile? It looks to be in quite good condition so may well be of interest to the tinplate fraternity, which I remember you saying you had some connection to.

It may be much simpler and easier to build track using new rail - no stripping down and easier to form into the alignment you want, in longer lengths too' thus avoiding so many joints. Joints on any railway of any gauge or scale are a derailment risk (he said, stating the blindingly obvious!). You've got the cost and work of sourcing replacement sleepers anyway so the complete track only has to pay for the rail really.

Just a thought,

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"