Recent Stuff on the FBGR

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
FBGR
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Recent Stuff on the FBGR

Post by FBGR » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:10 am

The refurbishment of the section of Fence Buildings and Retaining Wall behind the Station area was completed yesterday with the return and refixing of the last three portions of the latter – just in time for the first running session (Weather permitting) next Weekend.
DSCF3727 cropped.jpg
DSCF3727 cropped.jpg (93.55 KiB) Viewed 5340 times
One thing I did notice was that the paving areas in front seems to have shrunk, with the gaps between the sections opening up. I shall have to try and disguise the joints a bit better and avoid straight butt joints for the next areas to be done.

JOhn
Last edited by FBGR on Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
The world's going to end very soon --- so I'd better try to get something finished by then

FBGR
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Recent stuff on the FBGR

Post by FBGR » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:41 pm

Things have been progressing steadily on the FBGR this year, nothing spectacular, just onward progress.

The paving/covering of the boarded area is continuing, as you will here.
DSCF3854.JPG
DSCF3854.JPG (192.66 KiB) Viewed 5340 times
I have been making an hexagonal kiosk to be positioned on the platform extension, but my printer went FUTT, and I have been unable to finish it by printing out the various signs and contents. The space that the printer used to take up has now found another use and I seem to be getting along fine with being paperless, so I don’t know when this will be completed.

The picnic tables are scratch-built, in plasticard of course, and are loose (put away at night). The ‘grass’ is stuck to the foam-board with Wickes Pipe Cement, and lives outside.

John de Havilland
Last edited by FBGR on Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
The world's going to end very soon --- so I'd better try to get something finished by then

FBGR
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Recent Stuff

Post by FBGR » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:36 am

I have found a use for the roof left over from the POLA crane (see http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/abou ... a29b8ba0e8). It had to be tidied up round the place where the cables would have come out to turn this area into a notice sign.

The kiosk, out of mostly plasicard (the brick plinth from Foamboard), is yet to be decorated with window contents, posters and advertising. It is likely that this will not be living outdoors, but only brought out for running sessions.
Kiosk unfinished.JPG
Kiosk unfinished.JPG (167.12 KiB) Viewed 5340 times
I’m still not sure about the colour of the roof, the pot said ‘copper’ but this looks more like brass to me – maybe I’ll paint it green to look like oxidised copper, along with a bit of weathering eventually.

JOhn
Last edited by FBGR on Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:11 pm

I agree the roof could do with "toning down" - maybe a very dilute wash of moss green paint (instead of the usual black) with "dribbles" of a slightly stronger mix would do the trick.
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

FBGR
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Re: Recent Stuff on the FBGR

Post by FBGR » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:53 pm

Its been a little time since I reported – but we have not been completely idle.

We started the Fleecy Bunnies Garden Railway in 2004 (thirteen years ago!), and we are now finding that some of the construction work under-taken in the first couple of years was not good enough. We were keen to get everything up and running, so a quick lick of preservative paint or using timber that was “guaranteed 10 years” has stated to catch up with us.

Last September, during a running session, part of a timber retaining wall near look crossover started to fail. Although the track was not at first disturbed, one side of the abutment to our double track bridge (inserted over the path to the shed) had moved, meaning that it no longer fitted.

It was not something that could be just patched up. A complete rebuilding of this section of the formation was required – hopefully to last for ten more years.

I would have liked to rebuild everything in plastic, but this would have been too expensive. So we plumped for using short lengths of square plastic rain-water-pipe which we ‘postcreted’ into the ground. To this we bolted timber pads and screwed timber boards and rails,making sure that all new timber was well coated in a proper thick and smelly creosote obtained from the local independent ironmonger (NOT the stuff sold in the DIY superstores).

First pics shows this process under way and complete. As far as possible we tried to leave a ventilation space behind the new vertical boards.
DSCF4005.JPG
DSCF4005.JPG (200.82 KiB) Viewed 5341 times
DSCF4010.JPG
DSCF4010.JPG (190.91 KiB) Viewed 5341 times
After we had refixed the points and trackwork back in position (over felt), taking care to keep to level as much as possible, we have started to fill in the areas outside the track.

Foamboard, either one, two or even three layers thick, suitably sanded down with the Drimmel, with a plasticard railing fence to one side and a haphazard palling fence to the other have now been laid, and because there was a rather empty space on one side that we thought would be made into some sort of yard, I knocked up a plasticard wagon body acting as a storehouse to try an fill some of this space – much more is needed here.
DSCF4090.JPG
DSCF4090.JPG (177.44 KiB) Viewed 5341 times
DSCF4092.JPG
DSCF4092.JPG (204.64 KiB) Viewed 5341 times
DSCF4095.JPG
DSCF4095.JPG (208.12 KiB) Viewed 5341 times
The original bridge at the end of the new decking is being modified. It was constructed with the tracks fitted to decent a plywood deck which we have been able to retain, but the parapets and arch under was made of thin plywood which was already showing signs of age, so are being replaced with foamboard to match our viaduct.

The rebuilding of the bridge itself is nearly complete, and we can then ‘decorate’ round the ends to tie in with the boarded area.

Then it will be ballasting next after that.

JOhn de Havilland
Last edited by FBGR on Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:40 am

Love that paling fence, really looks the business. Hope it lasts as well as mine has.
Grant.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:16 pm

Will the glue last outside when used with Plastikard?

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:30 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:16 pm Will the glue last outside when used with Plastikard?
I guess it depends on the 'glue'.... if solvent is used (as I do) then it welds the plasticard together so should be permanent, or as good as! My structures show great resistance to temperature and moisture variations so I'll 'stick' with it!!!!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:00 pm

I have only used Humbrol liquid poly so far, will that work outside?

FBGR
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by FBGR » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:09 pm

Some of the Fleecy Bunnies Garden Railway's Fence Buildings, all built from Plasticard, have been out there summer and winter since 2010, and there has never been any problems with the solvent glue joints.

In those days I tended to use just the Humbrol Precision Poly Cement: nowadays I use the Humbrol Liquid Poly for small and medium size joints but still use the Poly Cement for larger areas and pieces. Sometimes I would run a fillet of the Poly Cement around some joints after construction, just to be sure.

JOhn

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:29 am

Just been catching up with this thread. Some really great ideas here which I will 'borrow' if you don't mind. I hadn't thought of embossing foamboard to make cobbles, I must admit, but they do look worth the effort.

Thanks

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:56 am

Thanks for the glue advice, keep up the good work.

FBGR
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by FBGR » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:32 am

The rebuilt bridge middle bit was fitted yesterday, and it fits nicely. I was able to retain the original stiffened plywood centre support with the tracks on it and just had to make a new arch bit to underneath (which does not support any weight) and some cladding to the parapet – all in foamboard which was screwed to the original timber. This item does not live outside, so I am quite happy with retaining the use of the original wooden parts.

Painted with B&Q Tester Pots to match the three arch viaduct on our railway (see above). I notice just a little fading of the original paint, which has been out in the weather since November 2015.
DSCF4214.JPG
DSCF4214.JPG (193.55 KiB) Viewed 6199 times
DSCF4215.JPG
DSCF4215.JPG (195.04 KiB) Viewed 6199 times
DSCF4216.JPG
DSCF4216.JPG (261.06 KiB) Viewed 6199 times
Next, in this area, I have to get the corners of the bridge and deck filled in and tidy.

JOhn
Last edited by FBGR on Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FBGR
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by FBGR » Tue May 23, 2017 6:03 pm

Today the bridge abutments were fitted.
DSCF4220.JPG
DSCF4220.JPG (235.75 KiB) Viewed 6199 times
DSCF4221.JPG
DSCF4221.JPG (193.07 KiB) Viewed 6199 times
DSCF4222.JPG
DSCF4222.JPG (187.65 KiB) Viewed 6199 times
And this is what it looks like when the bridge is not in place
DSCF4229.JPG
DSCF4229.JPG (189.33 KiB) Viewed 6199 times

Next should be the track ballasting of this area, and maybe a little building in the Y.

JOhn
Last edited by FBGR on Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue May 23, 2017 8:47 pm

Lovely work, that foamboard material is wonderful stuff and you work it well.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Tue May 23, 2017 11:38 pm

I agree with Peter. Your railway is living proof that with ingenuity, you can build a railway in a back yard in almost any circumstance. I particularly like the way you have used the fence with the low relief buildings, to provide a back drop.
Grant.

FBGR
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by FBGR » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:45 pm

Last week a new building was completed – generally in German style to suit most of the other structures on the FBGR - built in foamboard with plasticard details as usual.
DSCF4248.JPG
DSCF4248.JPG (216.2 KiB) Viewed 6135 times
This week we were able to ballast the recently rebuilt area – resin bound 2mm green granite stuck down with SBR.
DSCF4244.JPG
DSCF4244.JPG (180.4 KiB) Viewed 6135 times

Some more structures are planned to fill the blank spaces in this area.

JOhn
Last edited by FBGR on Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:55 pm

Another little gem Mr Bunny, something cute about overhanging roofs.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:01 am

Great looking structures, especially the bridge. What adhesives do you use for the foamboard and for the plasticard adornments?

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

FBGR
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by FBGR » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:02 am

The Goo I use to stick foamboard to foamboard and plasicard to foamboard is Wickes Solvent Cement, made for sticking together plastic RWPs – you have to ask for it as it is kept behind the counter. Its about £4 for 125ml pot – it goes un-runny in the pot quite quickly if you leave the cap off.

Here is another pic of the latest building – the brickwork bond is a continental form, not your normal English Bond.
DSCF4250.JPG
DSCF4250.JPG (192.33 KiB) Viewed 6135 times
JOhn
Last edited by FBGR on Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.