Fowler diesel converted to battery power

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Fowler diesel converted to battery power

Post by ge_rik » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:44 pm

The first loco I scratchbuilt was a Fowler look-a-likee. I couldn't find any drawings or pictures of a 3' gauge Fowler diesel so imagined what one might look like - a sort of cut-down standard gauge version (apologies to the purists). For a couple of years she's been languishing on the shelf - the last of my locos to be converted from track-power to battery radio control. Today she re-entered service.

<object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3ee6xn96zYQ?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3ee6xn96zYQ?ve ... n_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

URL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ee6xn96zYQ

She is powered with three 18650 li-ion batteries (with protection board), controlled by a Deltang Rx65a and is built around an LGB ToyTrain 0-4-0 motor block. At present she has no sound card fitted. I'm intending to fit one but not yet decided which one to use (or whether to make my own based on a Picaxe chip).

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:52 pm

Very nice Rik, a lovely loco engaged on some lovely railway work.

By the way, the Guard is clearly from the passenger link, he never once stepped off the van to contribute to the work! :lol:

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

Busted Bricks
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Busted Bricks » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:52 pm

Lovely loco.

I sometimes wonder why people persevere with track power and DCC (not just in this scale). IMHO battery R/C is both affordable and relatively simple.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:04 pm

Soar Valley Light:113450 wrote: By the way, the Guard is clearly from the passenger link, he never once stepped off the van to contribute to the work! :lol:
Hi Andrew
Yes - going to have serious words with him. As far as I recall, he's not stepped off the van for the past three years ..... !!

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:12 pm

Busted Bricks:113451 wrote: I sometimes wonder why people persevere with track power and DCC (not just in this scale). IMHO battery R/C is both affordable and relatively simple.
I stuck with track power for around five years and became increasingly irritated with continual track cleaning and poor running. Because most of my locos are small 0-4-0s, they would often stutter over dead spots like frogs and as slow running and shunting is something I really enjoy it was really frustrating.

I bit the bullet about three years ago and haven't regretted it. As you say, the technology is quite easy to master and a heck of a lot cheaper than DCC. Burnt my boats earlier in the year and sold off all my DCC gear. I am now exclusively battery r/c and a very happy bunny :D :D

Rik
------------------------

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:12 pm

A wonderful short video with beautiful scenic effects, lovely loco, nice stock and a purpose behind the story.
I have made an observation of myself whilst watching this and suddenly realised it is not the first time...... I always find myself smiling when watching your line! Somehow there is a happy feeling generated by seeing your stock gently trundling around and not rushing headlong to see how fast a circuit can be achieved.
Nice viaduct too!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:32 am

Peter Butler:113458 wrote:A wonderful short video with beautiful scenic effects, lovely loco, nice stock and a purpose behind the story.
I have made an observation of myself whilst watching this and suddenly realised it is not the first time...... I always find myself smiling when watching your line!  Somehow there is a happy feeling generated by seeing your stock gently trundling around and not rushing headlong to see how fast a circuit can be achieved.  
Nice viaduct too!
Thanks Peter. I'm so glad it makes you smile. As mentioned, I too like slow running - I sometimes notice things about my railway (usually things that need fixing) when watching back my own videos (eg I'll need to improve that track joint leading to the new viaduct).

Rik
------------------------