Getting a train together, Diesel and Steam!

What is your latest project?
Steven.T
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Steven.T » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:58 pm

Cheers Kieth.
Yeah I'm not sure how long the superglue will last, it is literally stuck in seconds after being compressed, the website says it will be ok up to 180 deg C, however I don't know how hot a smokebox gets?

It's better than the last method I had, blue tack stuck on the running boards, I lost one lamp that way! :lol:

Heres the glue spec: http://www.powerbonduk.com/technical-details.html

Cheers,
Steven

Steven.T
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Steven.T » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:33 pm

Well, the lamp Iron is still stuck firmly after last weeks running day!

In other news, finally did some more work on the little diesel today!
Made a new footplate for it, fixed most of the bits down with velcro, and its bolted to the buffers inside to hold the plate down.

Tried putting a coat of paint on the edges, its dried ok, but comes off if you catch it with your fingernail... I think I'm gonna have to get some etch primer and start with that!

Cheers,
Steven

Steven.T
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Steven.T » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:57 pm

Had a bit of a catastrophe on Sunday at the running day.
Somehow, the coaches behind Osprey managed to derail, thus digging the bogies into the track, the tender pin had come apart from the loco somehow, so as I opened the throttle ( not realising the derailment!), the loco split from the tender, giving me no control, hurtled round a corner and fell 3ft off the side onto gravel :roll:

I think the damage is mainly cosmetic, the chassis doesn't seem to be twisted. All the cosmetic oilers, a nameplate and a numberplate have come off, luckily these were found. There are a few chips and scratches in the side tanks, which appear to have taken the brunt of the damage...

And one of the other side, which has come out best, I think the loco flipped before it hit deck!

So. I'm gonna be busy getting this repaired :(
However, one thing I am concerned about, if the tender had not come undone from the engine, none of this would have happened because I would not have lost radio control of the loco. I need to find some way of holding the pin from the tender from coming up and out of the locos drawbar. On my 5 inch gauge stuff, I use an R-Clip, but the pin on that is massive, not sure how I'm going to sort this out...
Cheers!
Steven.

TTHLRMatt
Fireman
Fireman

Post by TTHLRMatt » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:11 pm

Send it back to roundhouse, they will fix it up for you, your whole body frame ect looks bent backwards, not a good sign :shock:

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:12 pm

Good to hear that your loco hasn't fared too badly in the landing, hope it doesn't take too much to get Osprey back to full health.

LnBmad
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by LnBmad » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:38 pm

Needs the body off and chassis checking to be square. With the body removed you can then repair that and look at tender fixings.... Think about how you do it on 5" and then scale down.
If it can be made full scale it can be made 16mm

My line: http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about7200.html

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:14 am

It seems from the second picture that the boiler is no longer lined up properly with the smokebox: A sign the frame may not be square. I agree the body must come off to check the frame is square, otherwise she won't run right. Perhaps it is best to send it to Roundhouse.

My engine comes loose from its tender quite often too. It's annoying. In my case I made the drawbar myself and probably should have made it differently, and my engine is manual so it just takes off from the train until I can catch it. I too am looking for a way to secure it better. I might thread the bottom of the pin and put a nut on.

LnBmad
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by LnBmad » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:12 am

It's a pity your not closer or I'd take a look at it for you.

LnBmad
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by LnBmad » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:15 am

As for securing tenders, why not use a bolt with 2 nuts that you can lock off?