Page 3 of 4

Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:58 pm
by George
wow looking good :D

Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:03 am
by Narrow Minded
and it sets well?
Well it's had time to set properly now and I can happily report that it's set brilliantly :D (I've had to do some work at Riddings Tunnel and had a good opportunity to "inspect" the ballast!

On your line why don't you try either very fine gravel, or maybe even sharp sand and fix it with waterproof PVA? Should give you a nice ballast and come off easy enough when you need to lift any track?

I still use yoghurt and old milk to encourage moss growth :) Anyone have other formulae?????
Not seen the new smoke box on yet?
Oh it's on and looking fandabbydozzie :D Just not had chance for a photo call yet :cry:
I'm away all weekend but MYFANWY is rostered for Easter Specials on Monday :D :D :D :D
Muchos Gracias again Matt, ace job and I reckon you'll be "chuffed" when you see the improvement it's made to the loco - I know I am :D

Happy Easter everybody, don't eat too many eggs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:19 pm
by Narrow Minded
After our weekend away north of the border, I resisted the temptation to "play trains" today and got some more work done :D

St. Peter's Chapel is in place ready for scenic work
Image

while "weed control" is in place at Brinsley Lodge, waiting for a concrete scree tomorrow
Image

Quarry Siding is nearly complete
Image

and here's Codnor Crossing in the evening sunlight :D
Image

Incidentally, that Landrover was £3.99 from our local toy shop, I saw it in the "Scottish Shop" at Gretna Services yesterday for £9.99 :shock:

Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:34 pm
by taliesin001
Looking great. :D

Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:41 pm
by MDLR
Narrow Minded wrote:My biggest disappointment has been "Baby's Tears" - I've got quite a bit in different spots but it  always dies right back in winter and doesn't always come back with the same coverage each year
I inspected mine over the weekend - I have the same problem!

Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:53 pm
by Narrow Minded
Hiya Brian,
I inspected mine over the weekend - I have the same problem!
it must be either our soil or climate! :D
I made our cat Charlie a "Cat Garden" at the request of the Financial Dictator and planted some Corsican Mint. - that's looking promising as a hardy alternative, but it doesnt seem to spread as quickly :cry:

Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:29 pm
by Narrow Minded
Since I always regularly do things back-to-front (ie I had a pair of Velinheli nameplates, so I then built the loco!), it came as no surprise today that I've ended up building a canal wharf :D

Here's Sir Theodore heading back to Brinsley Lodge past the wharf
Image

Why back-to-front? I bought the swans from Christchurch church about 5 years ago "because they looked 16millish and might come in handy one day" as you do. :D
The area concerned was where a bird table used to be and I got sick and tired of the spillage which constantly took root (meadow grass & sunflowers mostly).
The wharf buildings are Tuxcraft arch workshops and signal box half buried to conceal it's true identity, now the "office" and a sheet of perspex with the underside painted ( before I put it down!)
The barrels are all sweet containers - again bought because of their potential as scenic items - honest :oops:

Image

Still plenty to do but I'm quite pleased with the effect acheived for not a lot and done whilst running trains, gardening and spraying my accy chopper converters from Back2Bay6.

Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:51 pm
by Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Really looks smashing that, are the sides MDF? You need ropes and boat hooks now and rust! Will you be building more of the canal system?

Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:00 pm
by taliesin001
Really nice. :D

Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:11 pm
by cjallenby
Looking good! I like it alot!

Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:26 pm
by Narrow Minded
Ta for the flattering and inspiring comments :D
Will you be building more of the canal system?
No, but yes! The wharf ends at the garden fence on the right of the photo where I intend building a low relief bridge - with a mirror behind it!

I've still to bring "ground level" up to the tops of the wharf sides, but need a trip to B&Q for that (did you know there's no B&Q in Nottingham?), weathering and more clutter, especially of a nautical nature.

Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:57 pm
by biggerdom
Lovely line you have there.

- that landrover could you shed some light on who makes it please and scale :)

Cheers

Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:07 pm
by Narrow Minded
- that landrover could you shed some light on who makes it please and scale
Just been out and had a look - there's no info on it at all re manufacturer.
I seem to remember from the packaging that it's chinese (foreign anyway! :cry: ) A local toyshop sells 'em for something like £3.99 - again, not exactly sure, but it was dirt cheap :D
Scales out nicely at about 1/19th.
And they're available in red or green - there was no green ones in the shop otherwise I'd have gone for that colour. As it is, it's the S&T teams ATV!!! :D

Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:11 pm
by biggerdom
ah nice one ill have a look round....

Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:15 am
by mhlr
I got both the colours, and a black 90 that appears to be the same manufacturer. Great value for a garden railway "leave out" thing.

And that photo, it just looks like Gag after becoming a millionaire from his movies, has built himself a swimming pool outside his barn-conversion mansion. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:20 am
by Narrow Minded
Oops Keith :D You missed it :!:
there are two b&q in nottingham
There's an A, G, H, I, M, 2xN, O and 2xT but no B&Q - sorry :oops:

Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:53 am
by MDLR
Keith&Joanna wrote:There are two b&q in nottingham. One is at riverside, the other near netherfield, oh and one in eastwood, and two in derby.
.............. and one in Somercotes, too!

Posted: Sat May 22, 2010 6:42 pm
by Narrow Minded
During the busy day with all the battery powered loco's out, I got to thinking about the lackof siding space at Brinsley Lodge :idea:
This would be a good test of how easy the new ballast (Rowlands Mix) would be to lift if I was going to fit a new turnout to the shed road :shock:

Image

I can happily report that it was a doddle :D
The old track lifted really easily and I've laid the new storage road along side the shed (being inspected in the photo by Peter himself!)
Everything is drying out nicely with this glorious weather we're having so I'll just have to test it tomorrow!

Posted: Sat May 22, 2010 8:22 pm
by taliesin001
Wow, that looks great, job well done :D

Posted: Sat May 22, 2010 8:28 pm
by Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Cracking!