Page 2 of 2

Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:12 pm
by Big Al
Have been using Humbrol paint that I recently bought the tin's are marked made in UK and seem usable to me. Not got any of the Chinese made paint so can't compare it myself.

Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:34 pm
by Redbaron25
I've found that Humbrol paints don't seem as good as they used to be back in my old Airfix kit days - the covering power and depth isn't there any more.

I tried their acrylics - red and white - and they were absolute rubbish; the white was like milky water, no way would it cover anything..not even something that was already white!

GW paints have always been good, though expensive but in this case you get what you pay for.

Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:04 am
by tom_tom_go
Has anyone tried Humbrol enamel Matt black now that it is being produced in the UK again? Has it stopped drying with a gloss look and does it flow/cover ok?

I am not getting on with the Revell Matt black despite mixing it with a drill. You can't seem to get a nice finish with it.

Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:59 am
by Big Al
A site I use a lot for parts and paints is this, They do a good range of paints aimed at boats so will be water proof.

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/aca ... aints.html

Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:22 pm
by JimboJet
I use humbrol and revell, but have also too recently found the humbrol to be poor....sticking to the revell now.

I also use the lifecolour/tensochrom range which have been good.

Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:05 pm
by MDLR
In general, I find red and yellow paints from any manufacturer to be very "thin" with regard to pigment - it definitely helps to paint onto white primer, or an undercoat of white acrylic paint. Even then, you'll need at least two coats!

Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:29 pm
by Chris Cairns
Tom,

I've not found any UK made Humbrol Matt Black at my local model shop yet so I've stuck with the Revell brand for now. As my latest projects require the laser cut planking detail highlighting I decided to go for the acrylic Matt Black as it is easier to wipe off the excess/bleed through.

Chris Cairns.

Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:46 pm
by ace
I have found the humbrol paints to be ok, although I only have really old stock (10 years plus old) I buy tamiya paints from my local model shop. They are relatively cheap (99p a pot) and there are some great neutral colours for weathering.

In the past I have used the GW paints, they are good but expensive. I have a whole load in a box in the attic somewhere. I find the washes good for face detailing and the like.