The DVLR Mark 2

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:14 am

Mr. Bond of the DVLR:99605 wrote:Its all being done in anticipation of the inspectors eventual return. The Lever frames are white metal kits made by Back 2 Bay 6. They need a little bodging to get them to "work" and my sister has already managed to break one of the levers by yanking it against the interlocking... Its been fixed with some epoxy resin and some brass strip but I am starting to question weather or not they are up to the job.
This signalling is very similar to the Mid Suffolk Light Railway system.
Keep us up to date with the practicality of the solution - but it does look good! :shock:

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:02 am

Another video! This is of my "Not Open" day which I had on good Friday. Plenty going on...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhYpSYL ... e=youtu.be

After some bashing with a hammer and jigsawing a Roundhouse Katie could fit round. (I altered my railway, not the loco...)
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:49 am

Mr. Bond of the DVLR:99766 wrote:Another video! This is of my "Not Open" day which I had on good Friday. Plenty going on...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhYpSYL ... e=youtu.be

After some bashing with a hammer and jigsawing a Roundhouse Katie could fit round. (I altered my railway, not the loco...)
nice could of done with some music for the irst few shots with no trains though.

Wish I could of attended, looks like a laugh
A steam propelled life-style.

Big Al
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Big Al » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:38 pm

Another great DVLR-Zach Bond production a fine video I liked the in carriage shots well done.
Allen Hopper - early retirement can't beat it !

Stuvon
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Stuvon » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:26 pm

Nice video Zach! I really enjoyed that. Just a shame I'm stuck indoors today and not outside running trains!
Stuart
Manager: Notley Docks Light Railway - Stanway Works
www.photobucket.com/ndlr

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:34 pm

Mr. Bond of the DVLR:99766 wrote:Another video! This is of my "Not Open" day which I had on good Friday. Plenty going on...

Like the sequence from 6.00 onwards with the camera behind the coaches, showing authentic track experience from the passengers´ point of view.

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:59 pm

The carriage sequences are with a camera inside the carriages - hence being portrait rather than landscape. I rather enjoyed those bits as its not a view I've seen before of my line either.
(to build)

Woodfields Light Railway
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Woodfields Light Railway » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:07 am

I liked those shots, but maybe next time one looking out of the window as well?
"So, when is this newfangled railway coming?"
"When we have enough money..."
"Where is this money coming from?"
"Havent thought that far..."

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:46 am

That's a good idea, on the next one I'll try and remember to do that. It is going to be a little while before any more photos or videos appear as I am back at University now until June
(to build)

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:52 pm

Rather than show you the "I got back from uni and found this mess" photos I've had a clear up and have taken some photos of the garden and the railway which I feel are at their best at this time of year.
A climbing rose on the back wall has been stunning
A bit of veg in the back corner near the shed...
Shady corner of the garden near the kitchen
Near Bawdsey, an apply tree in a pot and some honey suckle along side more shady plants
Rosmary and olive etc
I've got no idea what this flower is but its fairly lovely...
Climbers on the shed
And now to the railway...
Some of the plants are becoming more established
The back corner is settling in nicely
Wherever I planted this little thing it has thrived!
The quarry branch is looking a little verdent...
The acer has really taken off
My rose has put on a good show as always - it is a "Deep Secret" hybrid with the most wonderful scent.
(to build)

McRuss
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by McRuss » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:39 pm

Hello Zach,

thank you for posting the pictures. They look good.
The plant you don't know maybe it is of the
Delphinium or Aconitum type. Both are poisonous.

Markus

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:04 pm

Thanks for the info - the rest of the garden is my mother's concern really. I just get the flowerbed and am told to stick to it!
(to build)

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:16 pm

Hullo!
I've been in Wales so its been a little quiet here recently.
Some goings on:
The Brick Kiln needs its flues looking at - Smoke pouring out of the hillside in the early morning.
The MYOB has gone bazzerk and is starting to take over. I've managed to cut a hedge into one bit...
New token opperated signals are in development for the junction headache area.
With colour coded tokens for each section
Crane I bought at Peterbough this year has finally been completed with a sombre paint scheme inspired by the writings of Peter Jones
And after complaints from the staff that they couldn't remember the numbers of the wagons the number have been painted onto the Snape end of all the wagons on the buffer beams. I've also done some more lettering on two wagons. Worryingly I got up to 32...
(to build)

DLRdan
Driver
Driver

Post by DLRdan » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:04 am

How can anyone have 32 wagons ? Still impressed that you painted that freehand.
Dan,

James: "Dan, can you use your hearing and tell me if that trains coming ?"
DLR
www.freewebs.com/dlrail

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:13 pm

Thanks Dan - I never meant to collect so many it just sort of happened...

Some goings on, I'd just finished project "mv" to find that the SSP slomo had been launched by coincidence on the same day. "MV" stands for momentum Van but conveniently mv or mass x velocity = momentum. (This makes me happy inside) Its based around a toy I've had for many years called a "Zecar" which cost about 12 pounds I think. Just a standard flywheel friction drive. Swapped the wheels for a pair of standard IP engineering ones - the chassis should be fit for 32mm use as well as 45.
I then fitted this with a new floor into an AnDel short 4 wheel van (ok, it needed a new chassis because I dropped it...) The wheelbase is a little short but I think it looks ok.
The crane is now in situe on the boat yard.
Bits of the line are looking quite pretty at the moment and in this photo you can see the lettering on the newest Brake Van. (No. 27)
Today I tested the MV to see how well it worked behind River Butley and apart from a few hicups...
she ran very well indeed.
Beautifully slow acceleration away from the station. The Van also gives the loco a little push as it slows down around the curves (ahem, corners). Really enjoyed running my little railway today.
(to build)

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:34 am

The line does look pretty and the van nicely aged. If the running is improved with the use of your 'mv' system I think this idea might catch on!
Have you added much weight to the van to get better grip on the smooth rails?

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:58 am

Not too much - I want to avoid excessive wear on the bearings. About 300g or so. The van can't push the loco along any great distance, I think the improved performance comes from the fact that I can have the regulator further open and it doesn't race away on the straighter bits. With 3 link couplings when the train catches up with the loco with a satisfying clonk it imparts enough of an impulse to restart a stalling loco (The excelsior is a devil for not self restarting)
I kept forgetting it was in the rake and shutting the regulator in the station and putting it into mid gear fairly well kills the speed, only to hear the clonk, clonk wirrrrrr as the train catches up and the van skids to a stand - still learning how to use it. The aging is mainly just thanks to the paint peeling off as I used to leave this van outside.
I am looking forward to testing it with my Millie. I've always found the millie to be a challenge with the long wheel base. It has a tendency to stall on the corners then build up a load of chest pressure and blast out onto the straights at eye watering speeds. Hopefully this should keep it in check!
(to build)

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:52 pm

I would really like a short video of this MV in action if you could arrange it. I've been curious about them off and on and wouldn't mind building one myself. I would rather keep my engine the way it is and install the mechanism in a van the way you have done. I'm curious about how well it works back in the train rather than right up tight to the locomotive, as most people do.

I have loaded an IP box-van with rocks in order to try and impart some momentum to the train, it doesn't really do much, unfortunately, other than the slight advantage of making the train act as if it were a longer one.

Somewhere in the recesses of YouTube there is a video of a Bertie with a centrifugal mechanism from an old telephone mounted in a tender, and a two-tone chuff pipe. It works very well indeed. It's not a new idea but it keeps resurfacing and I've always been curious about it.

Toby the Tram
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Toby the Tram » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:41 pm

Hello to all. This is my first post on this Forum and it partially inspired by Mr Bond's efforts on this railway. I really love the ramshackle atmosphere he has created, make and do mend, if you will. So please keep up the good work. Good sir.

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:31 pm

Keith S:103187 wrote:
Somewhere in the recesses of YouTube there is a video of a Bertie with a centrifugal mechanism from an old telephone mounted in a tender, and a two-tone chuff pipe. It works very well indeed. It's not a new idea but it keeps resurfacing and I've always been curious about it.
Is it thisun'?

http://youtu.be/nMV8RUP765M

Actually after reading the comments Im not so sure...

Sorry for interrupting :oops: