converting to radio control

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
cheshire
Cleaner
Cleaner

converting to radio control

Post by cheshire » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:25 am

I have a manual Silver Lady and am considering converting it to radio control for the reverser and the regulator. Roundhouse don't do anything to do this with, so any suggestions greatly appreciated. Its the in cab stuff I am stuck with more than the transmitter etc. Many thanks.

funandtrains
Fireman
Fireman

Post by funandtrains » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:23 pm

Roundhouse do sell an R/C kit ref: •HBK10 Lady Anne R/C fittings only kit (supply your own r/c set). I'm not sure if it has the regulator with the different thread or not.
Cheers, Steve

DickH
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by DickH » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:35 pm

The Silver Lady from the factory has a three channel set up, regulator & reverser on one stick and dummy drain cocks on the other stick.

I have a "Factory fitted R/C" Silver Lady and if you download the instructions from Roundhouse web it shows you the complete installation of RC. Let me know if you want any further info or photos

Regards
Retirement has its benefits if only I can afford the railway!

cheshire
Cleaner
Cleaner

thank you

Post by cheshire » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:46 am

I will try the Roundhouse website and see if it makes it clear! The Lady Anne kit apparently won't fit the Silver Lady, according to Roundhouse. In what way is the regulator different on the R/C model compared to the manual regulator?

Big Al
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Big Al » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:30 am

I believe it opens at a different rate to allow it to be fully open as it moves further than R/C can move it with the Manuel regulator. You can try it first and if you don't like it change the regulator.
Allen Hopper - early retirement can't beat it !

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Re: thank you

Post by TonyW » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:03 pm

cheshire:99617 wrote:In what way is the regulator different on the R/C model compared to the manual regulator?
The r/c regulator also closes on a rubber seat, so allowing the servo to compress the rubber without stripping its gears and avoiding the need for readjustment. The manual regulator is pretty much metal-on-metal and is much less forgiving.
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks

River Lin
Fireman
Fireman

radio control.

Post by River Lin » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:20 pm

Hi.
I have a kitbuilt Lady Anne from 1995 and last spring decided to add radio control. Due to the small size of the handset and the rotary pot for the regulator I chose the system from Timpdon. I gave them a ring first and thy couldn't have been more helpful telling me exactly what I needed including the fitting kit from roundhouse and yes it does include a new regulator as suggested. I have now been running it for a year and have had no problems so far.
David T.