A weekend of Welsh steam for the NWAG

If you would like to share some of your garden railway photographs or photos of prototypes which might inspire members, then please post them in here
laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

A weekend of Welsh steam for the NWAG

Post by laalratty » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:56 pm

This weekend just gone, the North West Area Group of the Association of 16mm Modellers have been enjoying our 2nd weekend away. After a trip to the Isle of Man last year focusing on 12inch/foot NG trains, this time we visited two 16mm scale Garden lines in North Wales. This all came around after we managed to wangle a group visit to the famous Clywyd and Dee Railway, and PTLRsam then asked Dave at the Wigfa and Llanrwst Railway if we could visit the day after. Most members stayed overnight in Llandudno and rode on the Great Orme Tramway on Sunday morning, but due to transport logistics (my uncle could only do Saturday, and my dad could only do Sunday) I didn't partake in this and got to know the M6 and M56 quite well.
So to the photos, first up the Clywyd and Dee Railway owned by one of the founder members of the 16mm Association.
Upon our arrival, I got Criccieth Castle out to test track/stock compatibility. Thankfully all went well.
The first of many heritage locos, Lady Jayne, an early Lady Anne.
PTLRcecil bought along a few locos for the weekend, Gunevere was out first. As you will have seen by now, the C&D is a spectacular line, fully fitting in to the garden which looks like a Welsh moorland. It's also very long, main circuit over a scale mile with a long branch to the loco sheds.
There is also a 45mm circuit, which itself is pretty big. The resident Roundhouse Carrie was running on this, passing trains on the 32mm circuit.
Matt brought along Gwyn Murphet which racked up a high mileage over the weekend.
The Carrie on the 45mm circuit, which it is hoped to extend in the future.
Not owning a heritage loco, I went for a slip eccentric pot boiler to give the feel of one. Gwydion behaved impeccably, as always.
LMSjools' Merlin
Gwydion passes through the main station, the junction with the line to the shed area is just beyond this point, I was crouching in the middle of the triangle for it.
An Archangel Sgt Murphey with dummy outside valve gear, owned by Bonfire, one of the locals.
A very rarely seen piece of PTLR motive power making its way back to the shed.
Black Beauty getting to grips with a 5 car train.
Ingleton Mountain Railway Linda at the far corner of the railway
SLR south Merlin Mayflower
Ayepad Ed also didn't have anything heritage, so he went for brute power instead with his Rheidol tank
Near the end of the afternoon, I also tried brute power with Scafell. Alas there weren't any more coaches available.
A very big thanks to John of the C&D for letting us all visit, it was a real privilege.
The weather at the C&D was generally very good, however things were rather damp for the W&L the following day....
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

Gremlin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Gremlin » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:02 pm

lovely set of photos, sounds like a great time

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:07 pm

So, onto the Wigfa and Llanrwst Railway, a line we've visited before so we all knew what to expect, including alas the heavy rain! After nattering in the AbbeyBach works for a bit, we bravely ventured out and started running trains....
PTLRcecil had also packed Caradoc in the car, and it was unleashed at the W&L, continuing its World Tour of NWAG and friends.
Meanwhile PTLRsam got out his Archangel Darj, which looked quite at home crossing Bryn-y-felin
Lady Jayne leads Corrie the Carrie from the IMR through Bwlch Pennant.
Lady Jayne then went double heading with Gwyn Murphet on the resident goods train.
PTLRcecil had packed yet another engine, Gussie the Mike Beeson modified Beck.
Gussie in the pass
Gwyn Murphet, out solo. By now, my camera lens was fogging up, making the conditions look much worse then they were.
Gwydion was again sent from the ANLR, with a goods set as high winds were causing problems for passenger trains.
It wasn't actually that foggy....!
Gwyn Murphet in the Welsh gloom...
The grand finale, Caradoc and Gunevere double heading. The sun was virtually out now, although it was still raining. And my lens was still fogged.
Last engine out, PTLRsam's Marmaduke, which didn't like the wind.
Thanks to Dave for letting us visit again.
A great weekend for the NWAG, thanks to PTLRsam for organising it. Now, where next....?
"What the hell is that?"

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:09 pm

stunningly lovely railway(s)
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:35 pm

Beautifully mature scenic lines. I would love to be able to recreate that effect on my line but I fear it would take years to achieve.

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:37 pm

Absolutely excellent photographs. Thank you for posting these.

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:36 am

Wonderful, evocative set of photographs ....

Dannypenguin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dannypenguin » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:56 am

Nice photos, thanks for sharing :thumbright:
Dan

Visit the PFLR website - http://poultonfarmlightrailway.webs.com/
Dean Forest Railway Society website - http://dfrsociety.org/

MuzTrem
Driver
Driver

Post by MuzTrem » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:32 am

Personally, I love the "foggy lens" shot - they have bags of Welsh atmosphere (!) and make a change from the usual garden railway photos.

I also really like your penultimate C&D photo. It captures something of the atmosphere of the Rheidol's famous rock cuttings near Devil's Bridge - while the two track gauges are reminiscent of the parallel SG and NG lines at Aberystwyth! :lol:

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:48 pm

I absolutely agree with MuzTrem. Super atmospheric shots on super atmospheric railways.

Thanks for taking the time to take and share them.
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:41 pm

Thanks everyone, must say that I think that the foggy pics haven't come out too badly really, which is why I posted them.
"What the hell is that?"

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:07 pm

Lovely photos of lovely railways, thank you! The foggy one of your Millie in the station looks like it was taken in the sort of drizzly weather I became very used to when living in Aberystwyth...

Both lines sit so well in their surroundings. They do make me wish I had a little more space though - it's difficult to take a photo of my line without a whopping great fence panel in the background, even if I reckon most of us do possess a great ability to mentally Photoshop out such things when viewing photos of garden lines...

Andrew.

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:51 pm

Marvelous photos Christopher of lovely garden railways.

As to mentally photoshopping - I am always taking nice photos and then realizing there is something really obviously wrong or out of scale in shot.
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

MuzTrem
Driver
Driver

Post by MuzTrem » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:41 pm

Andrew:99153 wrote:Both lines sit so well in their surroundings. They do make me wish I had a little more space though - it's difficult to take a photo of my line without a whopping great fence panel in the background, even if I reckon most of us do possess a great ability to mentally Photoshop out such things when viewing photos of garden lines...
Of course, there is always the option of genuinely photoshopping them, replacing any out-of-scale elements with a background from a real-life photo! However, even if one has an extensive collection of one's own real-world photos (as I do), it can be difficult to find a landscape that looks right and matches the weather conditions of the original photo.

Victor Isle
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Victor Isle » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:16 pm

I am disappointed to find that the weekend just gone involved visits to two railways, yet I was only allowed to inspect one. Saying that, the Clywyd and Dee does appear to be a high quality railway.

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:01 pm

Look here Victor, I think I've been quite reasonable at transporting you to most railways and taking photographs at your orders, do you not think that I deserved some time off?

:roll: :lol:
"What the hell is that?"

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:10 pm

Shouldn't worry too much about what Mr Isle thinks - next to his picture it says that he's a mere cleaner! Albeit one who's learned the trick of walking about with a clipboard to look important...

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:52 pm

There is now some video from the weekend on Youtube. It's not my video, so I take no blame for the titles, which are something of an NWAG in joke with Barnacle Bay Charlie who made the video.
http://youtu.be/8h8R0fw0lA8
More should be on youtube next week hopefully.
"What the hell is that?"