Another March build

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:40 pm

bazzer42:98757 wrote: I always thought I would go wood with wagons but these plastic marvels make me wonder.  It is a nice medium to work with.
I could work with wood as I have many years of practise behind me making picture frames and furniture. I choose to work in plastic as it can be easily cut and shaped, and glued much more rapidly than wood.
I give plastic a wood-grain effect by scraping a razor saw along the direction of the grain. When spray painted it shows through and is very convincing.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:57 pm

Soar Valley Light:98770 wrote:Thanks for the pictures Peter. It certainly is a beautiful van. One to be proud of and a fine example to those of us who fancy having ago at our own self builds.

What running gear is it sitting on?

Andrew
Many thanks for the compliments, I would encourage anyone to attempt a build themselves, it can often be quicker (and cheaper) than a kit!
The running gear is made from whitemetal axleguards which were designed for coarse-scale '0' gauge originally. These are fitted with metal wheelsets I purchased on ebay and have no idea where they were from. They do run very smoothly and add weight low down.
The same is also fitted to my latest build.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:05 pm

Thanks again Peter, that's really useful info. I think I need to start and build a collection of useful bits and pieces like this. Maybe next weekend will be a good opportunity!
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"