DJB whistles

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:02 am

I've put a video of the whistle in the "videos" section. It sounds good, I think.

Here are some pictures of the finished product.

Obviously you can see the steam line (which I will replace with a black one when I can get some black tubing) but overall I think the installation is quite unobtrusive, especially the resonator, which is crammed between the regulator and the gas valve (handle supplied by Gremlin) and painted black. With the lid shut, it's not so easy to see at all.

And here it is on the outside:

Perhaps I've over-done it with the decorations on this engine, but it is the "shed pet" after all... Rule eight!!!

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:49 am

She looks good Keith, and personally I don't think you've overdone the decoration.

Dannypenguin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dannypenguin » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:18 am

Lovley engine :) Can you go overboard on details on these things? ;)
Dan

Visit the PFLR website - http://poultonfarmlightrailway.webs.com/
Dean Forest Railway Society website - http://dfrsociety.org/

rebelego
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by rebelego » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:45 pm

Then I have got my DJB whistle mounted. I didn't want to abandon the driver, so not much space in the cab. Got trouble with the fire being blown out, and the servos got soaked. The solution was to solder a small brass tube to the resonator around the drain hole and attach a plastic hose to lead water and steam out of the cab. Works very well.

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:38 pm

I assume that using chain for the whistle rather then a servo rod works ok? It's a neat little idea, as you could blow the whistle manually as well as with the servo I'd guess.
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

rebelego
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by rebelego » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:45 am

laalratty:98614 wrote:I assume that using chain for the whistle rather then a servo rod works ok? It's a neat little idea, as you could blow the whistle manually as well as with the servo I'd guess.
I only took what I had, so not that much thought behind. Looks good and you can blow manually. The whistle lever tended to get stuck in open position, but a small drop of steam oil solved the problem.

Big Al
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Big Al » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:27 pm

I have a chain pull on my Ltd Jack and rod pull on my Silver Lady.

Allen Hopper - early retirement can't beat it !

dewintondave
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by dewintondave » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:41 am

I use a spring in my whistle pull so that the valve is pulled wide open without anything getting strained.

Best wishes,
Dave.
Best wishes,
Dave

GardenRail
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by GardenRail » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:06 am

[quote="rebelego:98605"]Then I have got my DJB whistle mounted. I didn't want to abandon the driver, so not much space in the cab. Got trouble with the fire being blown out, and the servos got soaked. The solution was to solder a small brass tube to the resonator around the drain hole and attach a plastic hose to lead water and steam out of the cab. Works very well.

Well done – like the drain idea. I am currently fitting an R/C whistle to a Roundhouse Karen. Now there is loads of room here but it is not as easy as it first appears. I have the servo in the bunker with the servo arm poking out of the bunker door in the cab.
Tag Gorton