More TVT Open Trucks

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
GTB
Driver
Driver

More TVT Open Trucks

Post by GTB » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:13 pm

Summer this year has been too hot to spend much time out in the workshop, so I've been inside building rolling stock.

Back when I started building wagons for the TVT, I built a batch of three drop-side open wagons. I recently built another batch with some minor changes and finally got around to taking a photo. the other day. These will probably the last 4 wheel stock built, as I've moved on to completing the bogie goods vehicles that have been sitting around for some time.......

The sunlight at the time was a funny colour due to smoke haze from the bush fires in Gippsland, hence the slight orange tint.

The following photo. is the original batch of trucks for comparison.

Regards,
Graeme

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:45 pm

Usual high standard Graeme, beautiful...

I was thinking for the Accucraft choppers that we both cut down could a belt/disc sander be used on the coupler housing once cut to make it square?

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:00 pm

Magnificent modelling. Thanks for showing us.
Philip

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:52 pm

Very high-quality modelling. Much nicer than my feeble attempts.

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:23 pm

These wagons ooze perfection, they are superb. Its almost a shame to expose them to the elements. :shock:
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:48 pm

Those wagons are all just stunning
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

Gremlin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Gremlin » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:30 pm

superb quality modelling, very nicely done

LMS-Jools
Driver
Driver

Post by LMS-Jools » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:55 pm

Brill 8)

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:07 pm

Exquisite!!!!!
High standard of modelling and superbly finished.
I can't bring myself to do more than one of anything so I admire your persistence.

robc_wa
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by robc_wa » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:12 am

Graeme

The quality of your work never ceases to amaze me. Beautiful wagons!

BTW, is that track code 250 rail spiked to sleepers? If so, what wood are you using to get a combination of “spikability” and resistance to the great Aussie outdoors?

Regards

Rob

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:02 am

tom_tom_go:96860 wrote:I was thinking for the Accucraft choppers that we both cut down could a belt/disc sander be used on the coupler housing once cut to make it square?
I usually use a 4" warding file to clean up after sawing (my standard size file....).

I have a small Ryobi combination sanding disc/linisher and have used the vertical linishing belt to square up a coupler box, but holding the thing safely and square to the belt was the problem. If I was going to do it again I'd screw the coupler box to a block of wood to use as a handle and to keep it square. A powered sanding disc or belt can remove a lot of metal in a hurry, so it takes some care to use one.

For rolling stock, I just bury the coupler in the headstock. I've only shortened them for use on locos., so haven't had to do many.

Don't know about you, but I'm unimpressed with the thick shiny paint that the Accucraft factory used on the latest batch of couplers.....

Graeme

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:09 am

Keith S:96871 wrote:Very high-quality modelling. Much nicer than my feeble attempts.
I've had forty years practice, plus work no longer interrupts my modelling time....... ;)

Graeme

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:47 am

robc_wa:96879 wrote:BTW,  is that track code 250 rail spiked to sleepers?
That's just my photo track, it only sees sunlight when I take pictures.

The rail is some locally made brass code 330 and the sleepers were sawn from an off-cut of mountain ash, which wouldn't last very long at all outside in this area. The base is just an MDF off-cut.

If I get around to building a track at home, I was planning on using brass or aluminium code 250 rail and cypress sleepers. Cypress is used locally for fence posts and pickets and seems to last pretty well, so I'll just rip a few pickets down to sleeper size. Jarrah would be better, but it's a bit pricey here in the Eastern States. I'd like to try recycled plastic sleepers, but can't currently find it in suitable sheet form.

I prefer a raised track, so was planning to use recycled plastic for the support structure. There's a company making it locally who sell direct and I notice Masters stock something similar now. Haven't seen recycled plastic at Bunnings and the local hardware doesn't stock it anymore.

Graeme

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:21 am

GTB:96881 wrote:
Don't know about you, but I'm unimpressed with the thick shiny paint that the Accucraft factory used on the latest batch of couplers.....

Graeme
Yes I agree, it seems more difficult to cut accurately as well (whether that's just the paint finish or they are using a different material?)

I appreciate Accucraft have to provide to a mass market, however, I would of thought the demand is there for them to offer a smaller version of their chopper coupling as even with mine shortened they still work fine round 2ft 6" curves.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:52 pm

Beautiful wagons, well done!! A whole rake of your scratchbuilt stock will be a sight to behold... Just out of interest, what do the little white squares signify?

Andrew.

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:44 am

Andrew:96888 wrote:Just out of interest, what do the little white squares signify?
The VR had a lot of goods trucks with handbrakes on only one side and the white square gave the shunters an indication of where it was when they needed to get to the brakes in a hurry. The TVT is located in Victoria, so follows VR ng practice.