Crashes and smashes!!!

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
Woodfields Light Railway
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Woodfields Light Railway » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:29 pm

Some of these really make me cringe!
"So, when is this newfangled railway coming?"
"When we have enough money..."
"Where is this money coming from?"
"Havent thought that far..."

ace
Fireman
Fireman

Post by ace » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:03 pm

I cannot believe my luck just lately! Ever since this thread has been up I have had some accidents.

Today I was running my C&MLR bogie coaches and the wind blew one over narrowly avoiding a really bad accident.

I decided to put these fragile coaches away and run my recently refurbished freelance coach rake. Fearing the worst might happen I drafted in some stoned passengers. :roll: :D

YouTube ChannelImage

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:53 pm

I got a little tiny derailment on camera today

<object width="853" height="480"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/pt47T2rpdVY?version=3 ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/pt47T2rpdVY?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
A steam propelled life-style.

ace
Fireman
Fireman

Post by ace » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:42 pm

Haha Pauly, that made me laugh. Your Alyson has attitude like Alfie. :D
YouTube ChannelImage

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:30 pm

Here is what the wind can do to a full size steam train in Argentina - http://youtu.be/E8nxK1Wah5w & http://www.internationalsteam.co.uk/trains/argent11.htm (Scroll down for photos of the overturned train).

Worse crash I had was with an erratic Mamod William II which derailed on a set of points at speed and split a Big Big Train tipper chassis in two, which was parked in the siding.

Chris Cairns.

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:43 pm

I have rolled my Millie over a few times, generally as a result of the embankment and track having settled.  However, as the embankments are now on their second winter they seem to have consolidated, which just leaves tree branches and 6" long pine needles as operating problems!

The worst accident was when I was running a recently constructed brake-third as the brake van on a mixed and it picked up a pine needle and derailed.  The lead bogie then contacted a rock, and Millie pulled the end out of the carriage, which then proceeded to accelerate away down hill held more or less upright by its chopper coupling.

The big discussion in the bothy at the moment is regarding whether we have to report broken couplings on goods trains. We have a mix of dumb buffer wagons with hook and chain wagons belonging to the quarry company, and centre Norwegian couplers on passenger stock. The chains often end up being the sacrificial victims in derailments, or the odd clumsy shunt.

Peter in AZ
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

ace
Fireman
Fireman

Post by ace » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:02 pm

Chris, those pictures in that link made me cringe. It makes me think I was lucky with Billy yesterday. I hope & wonder if everyone was ok and minimal damage was done to the train? Lucky it was stood still really.
Last edited by ace on Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YouTube ChannelImage

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:41 pm

Ace,

Have a thought to what was going through the French gricers minds as they watched the train overturning through their lenses with one of their friends on board. Fortunately the train was travelling very slowly due to the strong wind and appears to have been stopped very quickly as the first carriage leaves the rails. There were no serious injuries. Trains were suspended for about 6 months pending an inquiry and the loco was last reported working again some 18 months after the accident.

This is the famous 'Old Patagonian Express' and I was fortunate the year I visited you could still travel over the entire line (currently no longer the case).

Chris Cairns.

Dannypenguin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dannypenguin » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:01 pm

Love that video Pauly :thumbright:
Dan

Visit the PFLR website - http://poultonfarmlightrailway.webs.com/
Dean Forest Railway Society website - http://dfrsociety.org/

ace
Fireman
Fireman

Post by ace » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:15 pm

Chris Cairns:96163 wrote:Have a thought to what was going through the French gricers minds as they watched the train overturning through their lenses with one of their friends on board..
I cannot imagine what they were thinking, it must have been awful! :shock:
Chris Cairns:96163 wrote:Fortunately the train was travelling very slowly due to the strong wind and appears to have been stopped very quickly as the first carriage leaves the rails. There were no serious injuries. Trains were suspended for about 6 months pending an inquiry and the loco was last reported working again some 18 months after the accident.
I suppose that is all we can be thankful that everyone was ok and the loco lived to tell the tale :thumbright:
YouTube ChannelImage

vjoneslong5040
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by vjoneslong5040 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:30 am

pauly:95991 wrote:
that first pic really confused me for a few seconds because you have the same wallpaper (complete with rips) as me and the same shelf unit
:WHAT? I dont have one of those locos, how, wut...:
Ha ha! Sure you didn't live here previously then? This was our previous house, the smallest room must have been used the by the previous tenant for his son. I used it as a railway room. I quite like the wall paper, made me think how big the universe is, and works quite well when listening to Jean Michel Jarre.

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:17 pm

Tried running my DeWinton with no train, a fully watered DeWinton is top heavy

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/Bu9Zco8del8?hl=en_US& ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/Bu9Zco8del8?hl=en_US&version=3&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:09 pm

have a load of spills
a friends first go at driving Iver with its glitchy impossible RC lead to many accidents

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/lR9NqGf0ja4?version=3 ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/lR9NqGf0ja4?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:57 am

[quote="pauly:96471"]Tried running my DeWinton with no train, a fully watered DeWinton is top heavy

I can confirm that :roll: Worth spending a little time adjusting the gas regulator to get it down to the lowest possible setting without it going out. Seems to do the trick.

PeterTorndyke
New User
New User

fire

Post by PeterTorndyke » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:28 pm

I never had a crash but the same thing like in video occurred with my gp-20, although I reacted fast and put down the fire like in 5 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gifEH42oGbI

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:53 pm

You´ve got to wait to the end, but in the immortal final words of a certain Marilyn Monroe film "Nobody´s perfect".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAF4Q8oPkGw

bessytractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by bessytractor » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:59 pm

proudly flying in the face of convention

gamma
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by gamma » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:43 pm

Why on this forum and only in this forum i cannot see the videos? Just a white space where the video should be ...
:(

AndrewGVT
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by AndrewGVT » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:56 pm

Hi all,

Before starting work on the garden we used to get the G scale down in the living room once or twice a year, normally at Christmas. We have a house trained rabbit which lives in the living room and like to hide be hind chairs so you can probably imagine that there where so interesting encounters.
The railway would nearly always be routed behind the sofa and under the Xmas tree. If the rabbit chosen to have a snooze behind the chair she would get a nasty shock when a train came trundling round the corner. This made her rather hostile towards the railway so sometimes she would try to knock the trains off. She did not do any damage but it was funny to watch! :D

More recently with the garden railway we have had a few minor incidents. Most recently a plant grabbing the guards van and pulling it of the rails while the loco was propelling the train back to the station. The loco was stock was all ok.

Andrew
=============
Proper engineering techniques; use a hammer, if that fails, get a bigger hammer.

Woodfields Light Railway
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Woodfields Light Railway » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:55 pm

Well....... I didn't know that this section would be so popular :confused2:
"So, when is this newfangled railway coming?"
"When we have enough money..."
"Where is this money coming from?"
"Havent thought that far..."