Crashes and smashes!!!

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
Woodfields Light Railway
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Crashes and smashes!!!

Post by Woodfields Light Railway » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:30 pm

I was wondering recently, has anyone ever had a particularly nasty bump on their line?
"So, when is this newfangled railway coming?"
"When we have enough money..."
"Where is this money coming from?"
"Havent thought that far..."

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:10 pm

Nothing too serious to report, but I have suffered severe cylinder and buffer scratching on my as new Katie this autumn. It really fizzed me off as it was avoidable. Waiting for a disaster with an unfenced spiral 2 feet off the ground......just a matter of time....

Steven.T
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Steven.T » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:28 pm

Not on my line, but at my clubs track my Roundhouse George fell about 4ft off the track onto the gravel below. Paintwork a bit chipped, body possibly twisted, couple of minor dents. Not sure how the workings have faired, it's out for repairs as we speak!

Woodfields Light Railway
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Woodfields Light Railway » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:11 pm

OUCH!!!
"So, when is this newfangled railway coming?"
"When we have enough money..."
"Where is this money coming from?"
"Havent thought that far..."

Dannypenguin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dannypenguin » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:41 pm

I was at a friends railway with a rake of Tallylyn's and the rear coach decided to go off roading and as it did so it pulled the rest of the rake of too, which in turn pulled my Bertie off of the tracks. He only fell a foot onto grass and chipped a bit of paint off of the tank as he hit the stone railway support. He was checked before steaming and was fine, and the paint chip is hardly noticable. :)
Dan

Visit the PFLR website - http://poultonfarmlightrailway.webs.com/
Dean Forest Railway Society website - http://dfrsociety.org/

SapperAnt
Fireman
Fireman

Post by SapperAnt » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:15 pm

Severely scraped cylinders on my Ragleth from when the track was laid loosely and he decided to have an adventure......"look dad, no rails"

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:10 pm

My Caradoc decided it wanted a lie down... so it did and took everything with it!

I left a point set the wrong way and this happened...

Also been rear ended by a careless driver and his No.24 at a show... One was not amused...
No one expects the SPANISH ACQUISITION!!!

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:34 pm

laurence703:95811 wrote:My Caradoc decided it wanted a lie down... so it did and took everything with it!
I had a similar looking incident with my Accucraft Countess but when I retrieved it from the trackside I found the fire hadn't been well back in the firebox and the front axle had overheated causing the insulation on the wheels to melt and the metal tyres to fall off.
Apart from the damage to the underside of the loco it was some time before the repairs were completed. The firebox door still has no paint on it.
I nearly gave up live steam as I'd had all sorts of problems up to this point. I was naive enough to think that paying £1200 for something, I was entitled to expect it to work properly.
All sorted now though and with more experience it is unlikely to happen again.
Some 16 millers find the trials and tribulations of live steam as part of the fun. Up to a point I can understand that but past that point I get fed up and reach for a trusted diseasle. :shock:
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

WVLR
Fireman
Fireman

Post by WVLR » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:52 pm

Sometimes it all goes horribly wrong when your filming it :oops:

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AxZzT3Rbt64?ve ... width="640" height="390"></embed>
Mike

Wood Valley Works
http://www.woodvalleyworks.co.uk

Wood Valley Light Railway
http://www.wvlr.co.uk

planty
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by planty » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:17 pm

An old trusty MMS took a turn too quickly, ripped a post off the bridge and left part of the buffers behind (can be seen bottom right)

--
The Methley Joint Railway - http://www.jasonplant.com/Pages/Railway.aspx

ace
Fireman
Fireman

Post by ace » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:28 pm

I had a bad accident with my Mamod SL1 last year.

See the full details here: http://modelsteam.myfreeforum.org/about62877.html

All fixed afterwards though

YouTube ChannelImage

vjoneslong5040
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by vjoneslong5040 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:52 am

My Roundhouse Argyll has been through the wars. Its old RC set had a nasty tendency to glitch and on the previous DFLR its not been unknown for the regulator to suddenly fly fully open as it was going downhill into the sharpest curve on the line. I also went to a friends steam up, had to pop out to get something, so handed it over to someone I trusted, only to come back to find they rolled her over. Fortunately only a few minor scratches.

Its the cat that has the particular hatred of engines I think:

Mind you, so do postmen. This is what she looked like when I first got. I guess they must have dropped kicked her across the room:

I guess everything else has paled into insignificance after that.

ace
Fireman
Fireman

Post by ace » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:42 am

Vjoneslong5040, that is a shame about the Argyll. Makes my little Mamod damage seem like nothing. I hope she was all fixed up well? If that was my cat that had done it, I'd have cut its bloody legs off! :evil:

I did have another incident with my RH Billy a short time ago, luckily no damage was done. The wagons nearly dragged the loco off too though.

I had a similar incident with my SL4 Princess of Wales, after a serious overhaul. In fact it was the first run! Again, no damage.

If you watch this video of My Chevalier after I fitted a pilot and was testing it,  I was a bit over ambitious with what it could clear. See the bloopers at the end.

http://youtu.be/puGNZGNyy0I
YouTube ChannelImage

vjoneslong5040
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by vjoneslong5040 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:54 am

ace:95965 wrote:Vjoneslong5040, that is a shame about the Argyll. Makes my little Mamod damage seem like nothing. I hope she was all fixed up well? If that was my cat that had done it, I'd have cut its bloody legs off! :evil:
I took her back to Roundhouse and they did a fantastic job repairing her, you wouldn't know it had happened. I just need to repaint her now, when I feel brave! It was quite amusing when I handed over, and the chap behind the counter looked at the serial and said "built in Feb 2002, by me". Not often that you have a engine meet its maker!

I forgave him eventually. More annoying is the other one who snuck in the workshop at the beginning of November. I had just completed a swift sixteen tanker wagon (about 9 months of work on and off). The little critter is a climber, and she got on to the ladders stored in the workshop roof space. I had a couple pieces of baton stored on top, and she knocked one off which hit the rolling stock on the floor as I was reorganising the storage area. Nothing was damaged except for the new tanker which went into about 100 pieces, including snapping the chassis clean in half. The wife had to come and rescue Molly as I thought I was going to kill her (I wasn't but I was desperately trying to get her out the workshop while turning the atmosphere blue with expletives). Strangely a new kit for a tanker wagon arrived a week later with a little card saying please forgive me (signed Molly the cat). I'm gradually repairing the tanker while absolutely covering it in muck and c*ap to hide the repairs - it can run as almost condemned!

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:11 pm

I've seen a few incidents in my time (NWAG steamups tend to have to have at least one or two minor incidents, but seldom anything very serious) but my uncle's Taliesin fell off Jubilee Bridge (the big concrete viaduct at the Pine Tree Light Railway) at PTLR fest 2009, the story of that will be in the steamup report for that event back in the photos section. The loco was pretty much ok, but a carriage was written off and another needed a new roof. Incidentally, another train fell off the same viaduct at the last PTLR event in November, but the loco stayed on and the stock involved was fine.
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:08 pm

vjoneslong5040:95954 wrote:My Roundhouse Argyll has been through the wars. Its old RC set had a nasty tendency to glitch and on the previous DFLR its not been unknown for the regulator to suddenly fly fully open as it was going downhill into the sharpest curve on the line. I also went to a friends steam up, had to pop out to get something, so handed it over to someone I trusted, only to come back to find they rolled her over. Fortunately only a few minor scratches.

Its the cat that has the particular hatred of engines I think:

Mind you, so do postmen. This is what she looked like when I first got. I guess they must have dropped kicked her across the room:

I guess everything else has paled into insignificance after that.
that first pic really confused me for a few seconds because you have the same wallpaper (complete with rips) as me and the same shelf unit
:WHAT? I dont have one of those locos, how, wut...:
A steam propelled life-style.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:07 pm

Ground level railways are begining to sound really good to me!

The early Soar Valley Light experiments resulted in a couple of 'earth faults'. Due mainly to poor quality laying of temporary track.

Click to download file
[/img]
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:51 pm

Just this evening

Caught it with my huge feet as I stepped over the track, luckily no damage was sustained
A steam propelled life-style.

LnBmad
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by LnBmad » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:08 pm

It was the loco falling off the rails that got me the fox in the first place as it was never repaired. All good now though.
If it can be made full scale it can be made 16mm

My line: http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about7200.html

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:56 pm

Thankfully I've not had anything as bad as that Paulie! and touch wood I don't! I'd probably cry
No one expects the SPANISH ACQUISITION!!!