Locoworks details for "Billy".

Announcements on new models and reviews should be posted here
Keith S
Driver
Driver

Locoworks details for "Billy".

Post by Keith S » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:47 am

I just received a package of details for the Roundhouse Billy from locoworks. When I saw that he made running boards for Katie, Lady Anne and Jack, I asked if the "Jack" ones would fit on Billy. Tom responded right away and said he was just about to make some especially for the "Billy", so I ordered a pair when they became available.

I also ordered some dummy non-return valves for the side of the boiler, and some cab rain strips, as well as a couple of packages of hex-head bolts to replace some of the slotted-head ones standard on Roundhouse engines.

I've been "on the fence" about non-functioning dummy parts on a real steam engine, but lately I've been admiring Chris Bird's engines a lot, as well as Tag Gorton's engines in Garden Rail. So, I decided to dress my engine up a bit too.

Although I love the jaunty look of the Roundhouse Billy, there has always been something I have found odd-looking about it. Finally I've figured out what it is: It's the spindly look of the valve gear and cylinders at the front of the engine. The large cabs and tanks on Roundhouse engines tend to move the visual "center of mass" towards the back, making them look a little spidery on the front. Or so I find. Anyway, the running boards fix that for me, and the engine looks much more balanced now and dare I say, a little more "British". The nice little details seem to make the engine look much more complete as a model too. I wasn't too fussed about detail when I built it, but even the simplest rolling stock kit seems to have a bit of scale detail, and the engine now matches the wagons in that regard, having just a touch of extra detail.

The running boards are very nicely made. They come with a mechanical lubricator and little pipes on the left-hand side, and on both sides they can come with locoworks springs and lamp-irons. You can also order a Westinghouse pump for the right-hand side, but I chose not to because I haven't decided how to address the braking issue yet on my railway! I already had some cast springs stuck on the locomotive, so I removed these on the front as the locoworks ones are nicer. I left the ones on the back as the running boards for Billy only came with the front ones. The running boards are not simply stamped out of a sheet, they have a nice edging to them which is a separate piece hard-soldered on, and the workmanship is very nice. They come pre-painted, and I got the satin black with red springs. The instructions are easy to follow and the boards when installed are nice and sturdy, being held on by bolts which are already on the engine. It took about fifteen minutes to install them and it was very easy.

The little non-return valves have tabs soldered on which are simply held on the boiler by fitting the tab under a boiler band and then re-tightening the band. I had a little trouble with this because the bands over time on my engine have somehow embedded themselves into the paint. (It's a kit and the auto paint I used must not have been fully cured when I assembled the boiler) After some careful fiddling however, I got them on there.

The cab roof strips are meant to be mounted on little bolts, but I glued them with some of the same stuff I used to mount my name-plates. Well, why not. It doesn't get hot there anyway.

The bolts to replace the cheese-head screws come pre-painted. It took no time at all to swap these out, as well as the two screws that hold the front of the tanks to the frame, which I just touched up with a bit of maroon so they match the body.

I also bought locoworks' "small firing iron" set. Since my engine has a tender I am somewhat at a loss for a place to mount them, however they look OK just sitting on the coal in the tender. These little tools come with what I assume is a chemically-blackened finish, which makes them look as though they are steel which has been subjected to the heat of a fire. Very nice. Sitting on the coal in the tender you might at first glance think my engine is coal-fired by the used look of these tools.

So, I can't find the cord to attach my good camera to the computer, so I will have to post these horrible pictures of the locomotive in its current state, which I took with my old one. I apologise for the bad photographs, but at least you can see the engine and I think you will agree that it looks much more fit for purpose with these details than it did previously.

In conclusion, I am very pleased with the fit and quality of these parts, and I also found Tom at locoworks to be friendly and easy to deal with, as I must say I have found with all 16mm suppliers from England. I love tinkering with my engine and dealing with the small businesses who supply the little after-market parts for it.

Dannypenguin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dannypenguin » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:31 am

I very much like your Billy Keith, one of the best I've seen :) the other one had been requested by Roundhouse to have a Lady Ann chimney with the copper chimney cap, that looked the business too!
Dan

Visit the PFLR website - http://poultonfarmlightrailway.webs.com/
Dean Forest Railway Society website - http://dfrsociety.org/

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:39 pm

That looks a lot better with running boards and the other additions, more like a 'real' loco.

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:52 pm

Thanks guys, I'm glad you approve of it. I've seen the Lady Anne chimney on a Billy, and have contemplated that myself. It looks great, however I'm not sure how much work it would be to pluck the existing chimney off the smokebox, and I think this one looks fairly decent as it is. William, I was partially inspired to order the running boards by the lubricator detail on your "Millie", likewise it really makes the engine look more real.

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:49 pm

Iv been meaning to get a set for my Jack for ages, I just need to figure out which colour I need, satin or gloss Im not sure which Id need for my Jack
A steam propelled life-style.

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:25 pm

Personally I think you can't go wrong with the satin ones even if your Jack has a glossy frame, the "satin" heat-proof paint I used on my engine's frame and smokebox is shinier than the running board paint, and it actually looks good with the duller running boards. Nobody in their right mind would paint a real locomotive's running boards in gloss. Or would they? I don't know. I say go for the satin paint. Do also opt for the spring detail. They aren't castings, they are made up from real "leaves" of metal, they look very good.

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:54 pm

Very nice, the running boards do improve the locos aesthetics somewhat
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:04 am

I have to agree those boards look nice. You should be on commission from locoworks you've convinced me to dip into the train fund. I have been looking at their site for a while and every SMT seems to have something new.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:57 am

bazzer42:94958 wrote:I have to agree those boards look nice.  You should be on commission from locoworks you've convinced me to dip into the train fund.  I have been looking at their site for a while and every SMT seems to have something new.
Tom's very pleasant to deal with too, which makes a difference...

Your loco's looking great Keith, good choice of "add ons"...

Andrew.