Afonglas and Nant Llwyd Christmas Steamup 2013

If you would like to share some of your garden railway photographs or photos of prototypes which might inspire members, then please post them in here
laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Afonglas and Nant Llwyd Christmas Steamup 2013

Post by laalratty » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:42 pm

I held my usual Christmas steamup for the 16mm Association North West Area Group yesterday on my Afonglas and Nant Llwyd Railway, and whilst I have had busier events in terms of number of visitors, having a few less people meant that things were a bit less frantic then usual. In the end 7 members turned up and trains ran most of the afternoon and into the evening.
First out was Taliesin whilst the visitors arrived
PTLRcecil soon had my uncle's rarely seen Locobox Garratt in steam, rarely seen because its spent more time away being repaired then it has on the running roster. It was back for some demonstration runs but returned to the PTLR as the repair bill hasn't been paid yet (my uncle was away yesterday)
Taliesin sits at the water tower at Afallen
Taliesin makes its way downhill round the headland
Having crossed with Tal at Afallen, Scafell ascends the hill
Next out was Kittiwake from the SLR North
Scafell put in a high mileage and it looks like its problems are finally over (touch wood....)
The Black Lady Anne contracted to the PTLR was seen again...
Passing trains at Afallen
Paused at Ty Pren
Accucraft Earl, a recent purchase for the Little Morecambe Steam Railway
No Christmas steamup is complete without this guy (although he was last seen at the ANLR Christmas event in 2008)
The PTLR staff had a vintage day, alas it didn't quite go to plan. First Sam got out Sammy which ran but didn't steam particularly well. Then Sam tried his mamod based tram which unfortunately failed with a safety valve blowing too low to raise steam
The train looked well as the night drew in
Then I tried the night setting on my camera against the Christmas lights in the garden....
Double headed Lady Annes cast in a blue haze
Mellow yellow lighting by the junction for the lower balloon loop
Finally by dads latest building, based on Coed-y-Bleiuddau on the Ffestiniog (spelling not guaranteed....)
Thanks to everyone that attended, it was a great afternoon
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

steamie1
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by steamie1 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:06 pm

Great shots. Is the Taliesin a tad fast to run? It was always one of my wish lists,,

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:17 pm

It can be yes, certainly requires careful driving compared to other R/H locos, also being on bogies it does ride very well at high speed
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

BEYNAK.
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by BEYNAK. » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:01 pm

Wonderful photos. I really like them.

Victor Isle
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Victor Isle » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:03 pm

I am somewhat concerned by the wagon carrying Farther Christmas shown in these photos. The wagon itself appears to be un-braked whilst I am not convinced that the sleigh and Reindeer are held down by any secure method whatsoever. This is all very concerning.

ptlrcecil
Driver
Driver

Post by ptlrcecil » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:53 pm

Victor Isle:94570 wrote:I am somewhat concerned by the wagon carrying Farther Christmas shown in these photos. The wagon itself appears to be un-braked whilst I am not convinced that the sleigh and Reindeer are held down by any secure method whatsoever. This is all very concerning.
This is Concerning?

THIS IS NWAG! :D
http://www.freewebs.com/pinetreelightrailway/index.

Cecil your engines on Fire!

Its a Mamod it does that.

Victor Isle
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Victor Isle » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:14 pm

ptlrcecil:94636 wrote:
Victor Isle:94570 wrote:I am somewhat concerned by the wagon carrying Farther Christmas shown in these photos. The wagon itself appears to be un-braked whilst I am not convinced that the sleigh and Reindeer are held down by any secure method whatsoever. This is all very concerning.
This is Concerning?

THIS IS NWAG!       :D
Just you wait Mr PTLRcecil, I will be visiting the Pine Tree Light Railway and from what I've seen on your Youtube channel I expect I will be placing an immediate closure order on your line!

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:33 pm

Victor Isle:94641 wrote:Just you wait Mr PTLRcecil, I will be visiting the Pine Tree Light Railway and from what I've seen on your Youtube channel I expect I will be placing an immediate closure order on your line!
A Warning - don't go ANYWHERE near the line, else you'll get the same treatment as that little battery loco (and Bluebottle the Railbus) did!!
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

ptlrcecil
Driver
Driver

Post by ptlrcecil » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:21 pm

MDLR:94646 wrote:
Victor Isle:94641 wrote:Just you wait Mr PTLRcecil, I will be visiting the Pine Tree Light Railway and from what I've seen on your Youtube channel I expect I will be placing an immediate closure order on your line!
A Warning - don't go ANYWHERE near the line, else you'll get the same treatment as that little battery loco (and Bluebottle the Railbus) did!!
Ill have you know that the PTLR is normally very good at obeying rules when at home. It should be noted however that an official RAIB inquiry was conducted and the faller was found to be in section without the token. Mind you the Garrets were also in section without the token. (Maybe I need to implement some form of token system).
As for Bluebottle I quote from the PTLR official rulebook
9.8.2 Situations involving small annoying railcars, KILL :D
http://www.freewebs.com/pinetreelightrailway/index.

Cecil your engines on Fire!

Its a Mamod it does that.

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:36 pm

ptlrcecil:94790 wrote:As for Bluebottle I quote from the PTLR official rulebook 9.8.2 Situations involving small annoying railcars, KILL
No - divert to convenient siding (There's one on Flagg Fluorspar - available any time, but loading gauge issues prevent the exercise of running rights)
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html