Night Time Photocharter

If you would like to share some of your garden railway photographs or photos of prototypes which might inspire members, then please post them in here
DolwyddelanLightRail
Driver
Driver

Night Time Photocharter

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:13 pm

As I am currently trapped around the house whilst I await my second operation on a broken jaw I've been spending a bit more time on my 16mm stuff and decided to have a play this evening with steam and torches...

Whilst in between gassing Pheonix up once more I thought it would be a shame not to drag Brit out also

...and after some added artistic lisence...

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:12 am

Sorry to hear about your jaw. :(

steamie1
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by steamie1 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:31 am

Clever thought!

LnBmad
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by LnBmad » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:54 pm

Good idea using a torch! Sorry to hear about your jaw.
If it can be made full scale it can be made 16mm

My line: http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about7200.html

INJIN
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by INJIN » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:55 am

I like that effect.

I may have a go at something similar.

Thanks for posting

Cheers

Keith

DolwyddelanLightRail
Driver
Driver

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:57 am

Cheers for the comments!

As a footnote about my jaw I was meant to have the second Op yesterday, however that was cancelled for the 3rd time...4th time lucky? :roll:

Peter L
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Peter L » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:46 pm

Brilliant photography! I hope your operation goes well

Gremlin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Gremlin » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:53 am

you can almost smell the atmosphere, great photos

TTHLRMatt
Fireman
Fireman

Post by TTHLRMatt » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:09 pm

How did you do the name plate picture? What are the settings for it if any as I am getting a DSLR for xmas.

DolwyddelanLightRail
Driver
Driver

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:19 pm

TTHLRMatt:94237 wrote:How did you do the name plate picture? What are the settings for it if any as I am getting a DSLR for xmas.
Do you know what camera you are getting Matt? I can tell you many things about the settings of what I used, which was 1/25th sec shutter speed at ISO100 with f/5.6 on the lense and whitebalance on "Shade", however to most people (and probably to you) will go straight over your head and the reasons why. The best way to get a decent photo out of your camera is by learning how it works, I've been using my Canon 1000D for nearly 5 years now, and over that time I have self-taught myself how to use it to the point where these days I only use it on manual and have to set all the ISO and shutter speed settings myself to suit what sort of photo I want, which is some cases you won't be able to achieve in Auto mode or the like. The best thing you can do is to learn (which may take a while) but if you are keen you'll eventually be able to know how to get a picture like the nameplate one and also others as an example

I know it isn't much help but hopefully might push you in the right direction? :)

TTHLRMatt
Fireman
Fireman

Post by TTHLRMatt » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:47 pm

Yeh it does hahaha. Cant quite remember but its a Canon of some sort. I am not doing too bad with my normal camera so far but a DSLR is better as I am taking A level photography. These are with my current camera.
A few of these such as the second one were taken on the move as well.

DolwyddelanLightRail
Driver
Driver

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:59 pm

Ah..one of those subject that doesn't actually teach you (or if it does, just skims the surface) the actual meaning of the subject. GCSE "art" got me going with cameras, however it never actually taught me how to use it and more in researching into others and copying their ideas which wasn't what I wanted to do, so never bothered for A level as it was mostly the same, and self-taught myself everything I know about my Canon and how to use it through pure trial and error. However it seems many things are like that in life, I've chosen to study Chemistry at University in the hope that I'd learn directly about the mechanisms and how everything works, but where does a whole module on Biology and BioChem come in? :roll: (Not a pop at you Matt, just me being me and my annoyances :lol: )

From looking at the photos, I can see where your mind sort of sees with the sunset photos, however (I assume you are using the half way house between a compac and SLR?) which auto systems do struggle in from time to time with exposures etc which to me is just a second nature of raising the ISO/ lower the f-stop numbers or just raise the shutter speed. So as an example the sunset shots would just be focused on the clouds, and siluette the ground, or alternatively if I had a tripod/nearby wall/rock do a timed exposure, which would bring out more detail in the ground which on a hand held exposure wouldn't come out. Timed exposures even in broad daylight can bring out a lot of detail you might not expect to see and also if done right will remove any noise completely from a photo, however with cameras as they are these days, they pick up very little noise in comparison with my 1000D which quite easily picks up noise.

TTHLRMatt
Fireman
Fireman

Post by TTHLRMatt » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:21 pm

Its fine James hahaha. Glad you like the photos. The sunset ones were taken on the move whilst guarding.
At Uni I plan to take media and other TV industry related courses due to what I want to follow. Photography as an A level I hope will help some what but as you said, I am not expecting miracles.

DolwyddelanLightRail
Driver
Driver

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:07 pm

A few more photos from this evening of Britomart in the evening light

This has to be my favourite from this evening!

Gremlin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Gremlin » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:17 pm

I really like the last one for conveying the atmosphere