Show Us Your Kettle!

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Show Us Your Kettle!

Post by Narrow Minded » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:02 am

I dunno if there's going to be a "Christmas Quiz" this year (since it became the [dis]Continuous Quiz :roll: ), but here's a little project for the holidays ;)

The topic of hard & soft water keeps cropping up, and what to use in the loco boilers, so........
Post a photo of the inside of your well-used household kettle on this thread, along with what part of which county you live in (and equivalent geographical equivalent for our overseas contingent).
REMEMBER! This is an "Open Forum" so don't post your address!!
Also don't post photo's of "new" kettles, where there hasn't been enough time for any scaling ;)

The "Good and the Bad" can be used in a Sticky to show what to look for, and the rest should give newcomers an idea of what type of water to expect in different locations ;)

So, a bit of fun but with a hopefully useful end result. Come on, "Show Us Your Kettles"! 8)

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:24 am

Here you are......................

Oh! you meant the INSIDE??.........................

I live a couple of miles from Greg, on the OTHER side of the Notts / Derbyshire border. The kettle is around 4 years old, and the fact that it doesn't have an old-fashioned element, just a baseplate that gets hot, may have a bearing on the total lack of any sort of scale.
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

steamie1
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by steamie1 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:07 pm

Looks like mine too. Soft water highly sieved through peat. Could be ok to run this

Enginehouse
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Re: Show Us Your Kettle!

Post by Enginehouse » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:16 pm

Narrow Minded:93407 wrote:I dunno if there's going to be a "Christmas Quiz" this year (since it became the [dis]Continuous Quiz :roll: ), but here's a little project for the holidays ;)
The "Good and the Bad" can be used in a Sticky to show what to look for, and the rest should give newcomers an idea of what type of water to expect in different locations ;) 8)
The water board do a truly excellent job of providing the basic information associated with residual hardness and quality of the mains water supplied for every postcode area in the UK - and surprisingly for a utilities "service" it's completely free of charge and on the net. Some boards will even provide a more detailed and more specific lab analysis of your local mains water at no charge. Most serious fish keepers of course are already well aware of this.
Cheers

Roy H

Big Al
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Big Al » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:56 pm

Sorry no photo of kettle but it is scale free as I use filtered water with hard water filters. In the Romford, Essex area ware I live If you boil a kettle with tap water a film of lime scale will start to form. An old kettle before filters become the norm could get very heavy with scale in no time at all. I only use boiled rain water filtered through coffee filter paper when cooled a bit. I dare not use local tap water in my Loco's Image
Allen Hopper - early retirement can't beat it !

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:05 pm

I shall participate later on when there's no one to ask what the bloomin eck are you doing with that kettle!
No one expects the SPANISH ACQUISITION!!!

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:20 pm

Click to see full size image

From the Ox/Bucks/S. Northants border, courtesy of Anglian Water.

Philip

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:12 pm

heres mine i think its normaly a lot worse than this .it gets a going over every few mouths .its very very hard water here in Haverhill Suffolk .

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:13 pm

We use a filter jug at home but I will beat you all with the worst picture of the inside of a kettle when I can get a pic of the one used at work!

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:43 am

Nice...

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Re: Show Us Your Kettle!

Post by Narrow Minded » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:49 am

Enginehouse:93412 wrote:
Narrow Minded:93407 wrote:I dunno if there's going to be a "Christmas Quiz" this year (since it became the [dis]Continuous Quiz :roll: ), but here's a little project for the holidays ;)
The "Good and the Bad" can be used in a Sticky to show what to look for, and the rest should give newcomers an idea of what type of water to expect in different locations ;) 8)
The water board do a truly excellent job of providing the basic information associated with residual hardness and quality of the mains water supplied for every postcode area in the UK - and surprisingly for a utilities "service" it's completely free of charge and on the net. Some boards will even provide a more detailed and more specific lab analysis of your local mains water at no charge. Most serious fish keepers of course are already well aware of this.
Well that seems to have killed this thread :?
Shame the info wasn't posted earlier in response to one of the "what water" queries but there ya go :roll:

Maybe as an alternative for a bit of festive fun someone could start a new thread. Perhaps something along the lines of "Where's Wally?", how about "Where's Victor?".

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:40 pm

The water in Suffolk is awfully hard. Perhaps the hardest water in the country, even the rain water seems to scale my boilers up something rotten!

Here's our kettle which was de-scaled last weekend.

http://s834.photobucket.com/user/MrBond ... sort=1&o=0

Mmmmm scaley...
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

WVLR
Fireman
Fireman

Post by WVLR » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:46 am

Here's my favorite kettle on the range in the galley of my canal boat. You can see the lime scale around the rim of the lid, the water in Stone
is quite hard.

Mike

Wood Valley Works
http://www.woodvalleyworks.co.uk

Wood Valley Light Railway
http://www.wvlr.co.uk

METHSSNIFFER
Driver
Driver

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:08 am

Unfortunately my kettle broke and I've not replaced it. I'm saving a fortune. I now top up Bertie await for pressure valve to blow off and then pour into a mug. I do filter it though. I thought of putting coffee in the lubricator to see how it tastes. An alternative coffee maker.

vjoneslong5040
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by vjoneslong5040 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:14 am

Here's mine! Just over 18 months old, with 8 in Stapleford and the rest in Beeston.

So not too bad, but use rain water. I think the Stapleford water is harder than Beeston. Though if you live in Dunkirk (Nottingham), the water is alot softer as my friends 5 year old kettle has virtually bu**er all in it.

I would show you the water heater in work but I'm afraid people might faint in horror....