Elsecar model steam show 28th & 29th September 2013

If you would like to share some of your garden railway photographs or photos of prototypes which might inspire members, then please post them in here
rebelego
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by rebelego » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:50 am

Autoplay is not a good thing to use in a forum.

ace
Fireman
Fireman

Post by ace » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:47 am

rebelego:90019 wrote:Autoplay is not a good thing to use in a forum.
Sorry, I hadn't noticed. Changed again now. :)

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Old Embed Code on YouTube

Post by Chris Cairns » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:06 am

We've discussed this problem before, and the alternative methods of embedding back here - http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about6388.html

My last experience is that I can only get the old embed code for a video when I'm not Logged In to my YouTube account.

Chris Cairns.

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:39 pm

DOUG SIDE OF THE MOON.....

Okay, so I finally got around to sorting my Elsecar photos for the forum. ;)

I got to the show for about 9:30am and managed to walk in, having met my compadres from Wales. As a runner/exhibitor, I was given access. Next up was meeting Tony Bird and his team who had set up their Rhydypendryn layout - and after an enquiry and showing them Swordbreaker, was welcomed to run - provided I did so regularly in order to keep something going on the layout for the visitors. Thus I'd established a base camp of sorts - very much a treat and a pleasure and many thanks to Tony for hosting me 8)

~

Gun salute...

First train of the day...

In the afternoon, I ventured outside with a gin and sprite into the sun and watched the Mardy Monster roll by...

Diesel

Mardy Monster

I LOVE this engine. Out of all the industrials, this unique survivor is my favourite. If I could have one built, I would do so in a heartbeat!

Back into the show and back to 'base' where this attractive Quarry Hunslet was in full steam

Swordbraker took up the flag once more on one of its last runs...

Swordbreaker and the 'set' of coaches I restored earlier this year. These ran very well for the weekend and draw a surprising amount of praise for their matching.

~

TAMAS

~

Wee diesel loco [A Little John?] on Saed Y Parc

After the show closed, I had a couple of hours before my prebooked train and so wejust chilled out. I got to explore Elsecar Centre a little bit in the golden eveing...

The Mardy Monster was coming onto shed after its day out and I couldn't resist the 'shed scenes'.

Diesel loco 'Louise'

Not sure which of these two shots are the better...

Meanwhile, the Llechfan posse were also chilling, while Simon Whenmouth of Anything Narrow Gauge was packing up. He kindly allowed us to have a look at some of his goods that was in his van. I was able to document this little beauty:

Sunday's yet to come...

ace
Fireman
Fireman

Post by ace » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:49 pm

Thanks for the photos and account Doug, looking forward to Sundays account. Some great photos taken there :)

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:06 pm

An interesting selection of photos Doug. Thanks for sharing them.

Elsecar is a Heritage Railway I've not visited yet.

What was Simon asking for the modified Mamod (it is not on his website)?

Chris Cairns.

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:18 pm

You're welcome ace :cool: Only sorry it took so long to get round to putting it all up!

Chris, I cannot remember rightly about the engine. I think I heard 150-160 but could not place a firm figure. You may wish to contact him and make enquiries if you are interested.

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:16 pm

STEAMY SUNDAY

I'd left the coaches safe with Tony's layout and so Sunday morning, Swordbreaker and I made the commute back upto Elsecar for the Sunday side of the show. 8)

Before I got steaming however, I was in full Works Surgeon mode as I had been requested to pay a housecall on an MSS saddletank. Gaskets tweaked, cylinders prepped for working use, oiled about and assembled, steampipes tightened in the rev block - job was a good'un. Time to head to the sheds...

Young Sam Wake was also at Rhydypendryn steaming up with his gradually-modified loco "PIONEER". Saturday had seen it steam well and so it was designated a service locomoive today.

I went for a walk about to try and get other engines and on other layouts to boot....

A VISIT TO DREAM STEAM

It had been noted that people were not as pleased with dream Steam as they used to be. I'll admit I was one of them for varying reasons. However, Dream Steam were in attendance and selling items.

I will say on this occasion that DS have improved their customer service immensly - after giving them a shopping list of odds and sods, they were very happy to let me have cutprice deals for the specific parts I required, including new fibre washers, o rings, and a stash of circlips and conrod o-rings and screws for £2, and a single rear-wheel steel wheel set for £15 from a set worth £33! :) Very happy with that, and the steel wheel has been pressed into service on STARSTRIDER - the result is a freewheeling, unstuck, steamable little industrial now and another one of its problems put to rest. [shame I didn't grab cylinders - or rather, realise I'd need a pair...:roll:]

I intend to keep an eye on Dream Steam and see how they improve their game as a trader in entirety.

An Around The World In Narrow Gauge, so it seemed....!

Talyllyn

Darjeeling

Criccieth Castle, on Saed Y Parc

Line up on shed

Heritage locomotion in the form of this Archangel Fairlie...

A real treat to see working hard too

PIONEER running with the 'chickens' again

~~~

The two unusual but impressive locos were also on display at the Rhydy depot

~~

~~~

Ace very kindly allowed me to photo SUFFLOK PUNCH - seeing it for real after seeing the forum reports was a treat indeed :cool:

~~

Over the course of the day, RHYDYPENDRYN became the base camp for the Mamod/Janet contingent of the association, no thanks for Swordbreaker and Pioneer running regularly there. By the end of the day there were enough little engines to go for a line up of The Great Gathering.....

And in a Stockton Style line through....

SWORDBREAKER and CARADON;

PERCY and WARRIOR

PIONEER and CHEVALIER

Most of these engines got to have a go on Rhydypendryn -again, many thanks to Tony and his team for allowing us to suddenly pitch camp and descend on his railway for our little engines - we are muchly obliged :D

A last lineup of Swordbreaker with Caradon...and for the forum who have faithfully followed SWORDBREAKER'S story from July 2010...video of the very last train of its career prior to retirement.

As I type these words, what was SWORDBREAKER now slumbers, regenerating, awaiting the call to action...someday. A lot of work needs to be done and all the 101 little jobs that are required to make it even better are to be carried out over this winter and spring. But fear not....

Driver
Driver

Post by 90733 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:38 pm

Some great photos from a great weekend, I didn't take a single photo! One niggle, just to be akward :lol: The single fairlie is actually a Peter Angus model, still very very nice though
Thanks
Jack

ace
Fireman
Fireman

Post by ace » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:47 pm

Hi Doug, Some more great photos there. Thanks for posting of my Suffolk Punch. :) That is the first photo I have seen that anyone else has shared. I hope it lived up to expectations.

I really enjoyed the line up with all our Mamod gene pool locos. It was great to meet everyone and share the day with you. Many thanks to Tony Bird for letting us hijack his layout for the afternoon. :)

I am looking forward the the slightly more local show this month in Exeter, on the 19th. Ill be sure to be there with Suffolk Punch and Chevalier again. :)

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:07 pm

ace:90234 wrote:I am looking forward the the slightly more local show this month in Exeter, on the 19th. Ill be sure to be there with Suffolk Punch and Chevalier again. :)
Wander over and say hello, but don't expect to run on Flagg Fluorspar......... the "corners" will be too tight!
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:19 pm

Some more great photos Doug. Yes you were all very fortunate to be allowed by Tony Bird to run your Mamod/MSS's on his group's layout.

Sadly we do not seem to have a similar show here in Scotland, and at the biggest one Model Rail Scotland there is normally no 16mm and the only live steam allowed is electrical (Hornby OO Live Steam).

Chris Cairns.

Endless, Nameless
Driver
Driver

Post by Endless, Nameless » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:21 pm

Looks like a "good gig".

Wish they'd take them blummin' BR (WR)- esque 'plates off the Monster though...
Matt

"The Ancient Greeks called it Pandora's box- but what they actually meant was Baldrick's Trousers"

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:51 pm

Thanks for putting up those photos Doug, Sunday certainly looks like the day to attend next year!

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:17 pm

Hi Will - was a pleasure to meet you too! :D You must bring your Millie next time. :)

Endless - I dunno, the WR plates suit it....honest guv'.

Chris - I was VERY lucky indeed. Was why I chose to be 'tethered' to it for the weekend and help the team out packing up and so forth. :)

Ace - you're welcome. ;)

TTHLRMatt
Fireman
Fireman

Post by TTHLRMatt » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:36 pm

The fairlie was a peter angus