Van Body Kit Review - Fully Wife Proof

Announcements on new models and reviews should be posted here
Big Jim

Van Body Kit Review - Fully Wife Proof

Post by Big Jim » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:52 pm

I took a trip up to the Llanfair show on Sunday. I dragged the wife along (saves kissing her goodbye!) and my 18 month old son.
The wife seemed slightly more enthusiastic than normal, even to the point of encouraging me to almost buy a 2nd hand Roundhouse Darjeeling!!!!!!!!

I did buy a pair of box van kits from John Suttons stand. There is no makers name on them but according to John they are produced by a chap in the midlands. There are also coach kits of the same ilk.

Now I have built a few laser cut kits before and for the most part they go together well. But I have to say that these were the some of the best I have ever built.

I started fiddling around with the kit when we got home. On a whim I passed the second kit to the wife and asked her to have go.
Now the Missus is not a modeller, does not do things like this and never had Lego as a kid!
[/img]Image
DSC_0099 by bigjimiflash, on Flickr

[/img]Image
DSC_0100 by bigjimiflash, on Flickr
In about an hour we had them both built. The kits are supplied with card for the roofs and I will fit them once the body is painted.

These are nice, simple well made kits that built up into good strong models. I was very impressed and will be buying another few vans and a couple of coaches in the future.
[/img]Image
DSC_0105 by bigjimiflash, on Flickr
I don't know if John has a website but his email is johnsutton3@sky.com
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:14 pm

Sorted the pics out, sorry folks.

Crackingjob
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Crackingjob » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:51 am

Now all you have to do is build a small track for son Thomas, and the sun patio for Lisa and your sorted!!!!!!!!

Excellent kits, look like they go together very well

Crackingjob

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:41 pm

Thanks for sharing.

How much were they out of interest please?

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:46 pm

Nice to see they have good strong roof structures - something which is often lacking.
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

METHSSNIFFER
Driver
Driver

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:47 pm

Shame its a card roof though

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:14 pm

Sorry I should have put the price in the original post.
15 quid for the van and I think the coaches were 20/25 quid.

I don't think that card as a roof is too much of a problem. Once it is painted it should be okay, and it is IMHO much simpler to shape than wood.
Proof that they are good and strong. When I got home today the larger of our 12'' to the foot scale moggies was sitting on the pair of them.

METHSSNIFFER
Driver
Driver

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:55 pm

With trusses and crossmembers like that, they would support individual planking. Such a good detail kit and it finishes with a card roof... :cry:  :?: The longitudinal sections could of been used as the roofing if there was a cost saving involved An 8 out of ten for me. But overall value for money and an ease to put together. Does look 2d looking and I would pronounce the doors somewhat.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:11 pm

I like the idea of a planked roof. I will have to send the wife into Costalota Money to rob some stirrers. (I am banned after exploding with blue language when we purchased 2 luke warm teas and a bun each and I had to break into a second tenner)

I suppose a thin covering of cotton cloth over the planks and a wash of paint would look like a doped roof.

METHSSNIFFER
Driver
Driver

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:33 pm

If you get a sheet of 0.8mm ply and score it gently with a 10a scalpel blade on both sides this will give it enough flex to mount. Score 8mm widths and lay newspaper with watered pva waterproof on it to fix. Remember to leave a overhang on all 4 sides. A drainage channel can be achieved if you want to go this far. Newspaper will give a creased affect of canvas. Leave to dry and use grey primer as a base then various shades of grey mix to suit. If you want a weathered affect some tears to reveal the planking beneath will add to the look.

Avoid lolipop sticks, coffee stirrers!!

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:41 pm

METHSSNIFFER:87763 wrote:Avoid lollipop sticks, coffee stirrers!!
.............. and go out and BUY a pack - I got a thousand or two for not much money at all. The bent ones get used to stir paint and epoxy glue, the better ones in models......................
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

METHSSNIFFER
Driver
Driver

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:43 pm

I only use them to stir..

Crackingjob
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Crackingjob » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:18 pm

Try bamboo place mats that look like planks of wood and smooth down to take any ridges off and ...hey presto...planked roofs

METHSSNIFFER
Driver
Driver

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:43 am

What is this a Blue Peter Forum lol, bamboo place mats, coffee stirrers, cornflake packets, beer trays and hamster cages. Yes some work perfectly well. Can we add toothpaste tops for lampshades or battery terminal caps for buckets anymore anyone.