New member and loco chassis advice

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
Redbaron25
Cleaner
Cleaner

New member and loco chassis advice

Post by Redbaron25 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:41 am

Hi all

Though a railway modeller of many years in the smaller scales, I've recently become interested in 16mm - I've always liked the size of these models and now have some space to use them.

I'm actually surprised how relatively inexpensive this scale can be - you can buy a complete loco for less than the price of a 00 or N gauge one. I've been looking on the Essel, IP and AnDel websites and would like to buy a basic battery chassis and build my own small diesel shunter body. As long as it has good slow speed running and can pull half a dozen wagons I'd be happy.

I've narrowed it down to the 009a and 010a chassis from Essel
http://www.mattharvey.com/esselengineer ... &Itemid=61
and one from AnDel
http://andelmodels.co.uk/product_info.p ... cts_id=190

I've read some very favourable comments on the Essel chassis, can anyone comment on the AnDel one? This is a plastic chassis as opposed to the metal Essel ones.

Also, the AnDel chassis is available in 3v, 6v and 12v configurations - which would be best (or the most commonly used)?

If they're both quality items I'll probably buy one of each :)

Thanks in advance
Steve

sstjc
Fireman
Fireman

Post by sstjc » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:01 pm

I'd go Andel 3 volt... I've used a number of them and am very happy with them. They are 4 wheel drive so no problem pulling a few wagons. They come ready built and have brass gears so should last with no problems. I find a couple of AAA batteries last a few hours and if you have the room AA will last longer. I highly recommend them !
Regards
Barry

www.5inchrail.com

LnBmad
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by LnBmad » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:12 pm

It's also worth looking at the chassis sets available from ip engineering
If it can be made full scale it can be made 16mm

My line: http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about7200.html

Redbaron25
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Redbaron25 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:42 pm

Thanks for the very prompt replies. I do like the look of the AnDel chassis and it's nice to hear it's decently made, that's what I was hoping.

As I said, I'll probably buy the AnDel and Essel chassis, but I'll have a look at the IP stuff too. To be honest, I'd seen the IP Rapier kit but it looked a little too basic for me and I'd read it had limited haulage power.

I've just spent a happy hour looking at pics of people's locos to use as inspiration - there are some superb models here. My father likes 0-16.5 scale but I think he's starting to get interested in 16mm scale too.

Thanks again
Steve

LnBmad
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by LnBmad » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:44 pm

The eeze range are basic but can be fun. I would look at their chassis in the scratch builders section as both the budget and advance a solid bases and are very competitively priced.

EDIT: as an aside, where abouts are you located Steve?
If it can be made full scale it can be made 16mm

My line: http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about7200.html

Dave
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Dave » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:20 pm

You will not get better than essel built to last.They may cost more but it will be money well spent

Dave :lol:
Not Another One

Si
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Si » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:35 pm

Last year I was in a similar position to you, Steve, moving up from smaller scales to the garden and wanting to buy a chassis to build a scratch body on.

I went for the AnDel, although mine was the version without the con rods. I found it very good, the 3v can pull 6 of my scratch built wagons and it runs nice and slow.

Attaching the body was dead easy thanks to the brackets at the sides. Only slight down side was that after I'd bought it I tried asking AnDel for some advice on using it and was ignored.

Anyhoo... this is what it ended up as.....once the chassis was bought I probably spent less than a £5er on the body, it being balsa and plasticcard off cuts for the most part:

another one to try is the Busted Bricks chassis, or complete kits - very cheap, easy to build and run well. Unfortunately the company is currently changing hands so unavailable for a short while IIRC.

sstjc
Fireman
Fireman

Post by sstjc » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:00 pm

I'm not knocking the IP chassis because I know a lot of people have used them successfully as indeed I have as well. But the IP has plastic gears and 2 wheel drive. By the time you add the bits to make it 4 wheel drive, which in my opinion is essential to get the pulling power, the cost between the Andel and IP is similar.
Regards
Barry

www.5inchrail.com

steamie1
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by steamie1 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:38 pm

There is another chap doing a quality chassis..
http://www.friograil.co.uk/page5.html

Redbaron25
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Redbaron25 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:00 pm

Thanks again for the info and encouragement :)

Si - I had actually already seen your very nice loco thread and taken note of the construction - it's exactly what I'd like to build once I've got my chassis.

Are the wheels plastic on this AnDel chassis? They look plastic but it's hard to tell. I ask because in the future I may also want to build a chassis with insulated metal wheels to pick up current through the track in the normal way for a small indoor layout.

LnBmad - I'm up in Geordieland :)

I've also joined the 16mm Group on Yahoo and found some great plans for coaches, which I hope to have a go at using 1/32 ply and stripwood on home-made chassis. As the last scratch-built wagon I built was in N gauge, this should be quite different!

Steve

steamie1
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by steamie1 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:02 pm

Andel wheels are cast resin..

Steven.T
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Steven.T » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:37 pm

I highly recommend Essel chassis.... I had numerous problems with the I.P. Chassis stripping the gears. For a little more money the Essel one is ready to run aswell!

Graff B.
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Graff B. » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:14 am

I would say go for Essel chassis, a well made quality item!

dhippey
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by dhippey » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:12 pm

Just to throw my biased opinion into the mix, the Busted Bricks chassis are now available again from the Houstoun Gate Locomotive Works. Cheap as chips and with good hauling power. See www.hglw.co.uk

(That is enough self promotion for one night :-) )