Wrong size of wheels

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
FBGR
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Wrong size of wheels

Post by FBGR » Fri May 24, 2013 3:43 pm

I have just been measuring up some wheels that I bought this month from a 16mm supplier with an apparently good reputation.

What I ordered was four 26mm diameter steel wheels plain disc - what I got was four 22mm diameter steel wheels (they were 26mm diameter over the outside of the flanges) – but this is the only size offered on their website.

I was quite sure that the wheels should have been measured over the treads, but just in case, I checked on some other wheels that I had bought over the years from other suppliers – and Tenmille, Essel and Brandbright all quote the wheel diameter as over the tread (there is even a nice little diagram on the Brandbright website).

I have E-mailed the firm in question, telling them of their error, and suggesting that they revise their website (as well as asking for a refund).

My question is, should I name them here.

JOhn
Last edited by FBGR on Fri May 24, 2013 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The world's going to end very soon --- so I'd better try to get something finished by then

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri May 24, 2013 3:55 pm

Giving them the benefit of the doubt, it is not a matter of naming and shaming! If it is their way of describing the diameter of their wheels, let it be... As long as we, (potential customers) are aware of the way they measure their own product we can choose whether to buy or not in the future.
Just name with a note of awareness, nothing more.

sstjc
Fireman
Fireman

Post by sstjc » Fri May 24, 2013 4:32 pm

I see no harm in letting people know who this supplier is and that they specify wheel sizes over the flanges rather than the treads. It would appear from what you say that this supplier measures wheels differently from other suppliers... I would not have a problem with you making people aware of such a thing with one of my products. I doubt there is any dishonesty or deception invloved and its not a complaint... more of a clairification i'd have thought.

Barry
Regards
Barry

www.5inchrail.com

Big Al
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Big Al » Fri May 24, 2013 4:41 pm

Must agree with the above comments. I like many others buy parts from various dealers, and it would make me aware of the type of measurement that's used by them.
Allen Hopper - early retirement can't beat it !

Busted Bricks
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Busted Bricks » Fri May 24, 2013 11:38 pm

The supplier is me and John has received a refund. When I researched the subject I was not able to find a definitive standard for wheel size so I went with the outside diameter of the wheels.

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Sat May 25, 2013 12:11 am

I've very recently ordered some wheels from Michael, and since his website didn't specify which measurement was used, I simply asked via an Email.
He replied very promptly stating that it was the outside diameter of the flange, and even included the measurement of the wheel diameter with his response.

Absolutely no problem at all and I suppose the point is that if the spec' isn't stated, don't assume, just ask ;)

Busted Bricks
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Busted Bricks » Sat May 25, 2013 2:43 am

Narrow Minded:83867 wrote:
Absolutely no problem at all and I suppose the point is that if the spec' isn't stated, don't assume, just ask ;)
Yes, and politeness doesn't cost anything :D

FBGR
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Wrong size of wheels

Post by FBGR » Sat May 25, 2013 11:28 am

Wheels sent back – there was nothing wrong with them (except the size).

Railcar project how held up until I can source some suitable wheels.

JOhn.
The world's going to end very soon --- so I'd better try to get something finished by then