Going British in what I drive

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Going British in what I drive

Post by artfull dodger » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:19 am

Decided to buy myself another Land Rover today. I had sold my old Dodge pickup a couple days ago and needed a new 4wd vehicle that can tow. Had a couple Discovery 1's a few years ago but sold them off when problems arose that I didnt have the means to trouble shoot and fix. That has changed now, found one cheap($1700) that runs excellent and has 4 brand new tires. Dark blue in color, 1997 Discovery SD. I will post up pics tomorrow when the camera batteries are charged, went to take some and it was dead. Cheers Mike and Michele T

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:33 am

Ah, interesting - the Land Rover plant is about half a mile up the road from here!
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

RuneK
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by RuneK » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:19 am

Congratulations! :)  
I have had several Land Rovers. Disco 1, RR, Freelander and Series vehicles. For the moment I have an S2A 88" and a Freelander.
Rune

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:35 pm

I only wish we had gotten the TDI vesion of the Discovery. My dream is to one day import in a d90 with the diesel engine. By the time I can afford to do that, they will be old enough to legaly import to the USA. Mike

Spule 4
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Spule 4 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:58 am

Friend used to buy Discos for their 4.6l motors, you could get them cheap in Ohio from dealer trade ins. Did engine swaps w/LWB Ranges.
Garrett

"Some say that Mamods have problems.  Whatever. I view them as opportunities for improvement."

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:52 am

All of the Discos I have had ran the older 3.9l and 4.0l V8's I so wish our idiotic bean counting goverment had allowed the TDI version of the Discos, they go soooo much better MPG over the petrol V8's! Not that I dont like how the V8 sounds mind you, just the 15mpg that sucks eggs. Mike

RuneK
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by RuneK » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:10 am

I had a Disco 300tdi. It was as cheap as an 1.8 petrol Freelander to run. That matters in Norway.
The 4.6 petrol is prone to crack the engine block. The 4.0 is a better choice. Do not confuse 4.0 With 3.9. They are two entirely different constructions.
Rune

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:28 am

The 3.9 still had the distributor whilst the 4.0 has coil packs and a crank position sensor. I like the 4.0L better, I think it was Landy's best V8. There are places here in the states that do diesel conversions using the TDI engine/gearbox/transfer box imported from the UK. But for the price of the engine package alone, I can buy lots of petrol to feed that purring V8. Pulled the check engine code, just a O2 sensor, bank 1 sensor 1, which I think is the one with the oil dripping on it from a valve cover leak. I cleared the code, so far it hasnt reset. If it does I will change out the sensor. undercariage is sound, no rust issues in the floor or frame. Just a bad power steering leak on the steering box output shaft seal. A very solid Disco 1 for living in snow country where road salt is a fact of life. There was a little surface body rust inside the rear doors, above the rear tires. I sanded it and sealed it with rust killer paint. I also used the steam vac to clean the seats and carpet. I love the purr of that V8, just not the 15-18mpg it gets. Either way life is good! Cheers Mike