fitting pressure gauges and clack valves...

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
alan2525
Fireman
Fireman

fitting pressure gauges and clack valves...

Post by alan2525 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:40 pm

On my Ogwen Loco the pressure gauge was soldered onto the boiler with a very small diameter pipe. This was just soft soldered just below the centre line on one side of the boiler.

The pip has obviously been knocked and damaged at some point as there was a large blob of solder. I wanted to silver solder in a threaded insert 1/4" x 40 ME.

When fitting the pressure gauge and syphon is there anything to be aware of, the pressure gauge was previously fitted below the water level, is this correct?

Also I have a clack valve which I would like to fit to the boiler, ideally should this be placed at the top of the boiler, or side or bottom?

Alan

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:49 pm

Formally pressure gauges are fitted above the water level, but there is no reason it shouldn't work in its current position.
The clack valve can go anywhere(I think I've seen them/it on the bottom before. Usually its is positioned on the side of the boiler.

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:54 pm

Ideally the take off for the pressure gauge should be on or near the top of the boiler to be above the maximum water level, and the gauge should be protected by a siphon tube which allows the steam to condense and thus no steam or water should enter the gauge.

On my Mike Chaney boiler in 'Ginny' the clack valve has been mounted about half way up on one side of the back plate. My understanding for this is that when the water level drops below the valve then you will be able to get water in using a pump, etc. But when the water level is above the valve it will not open thus preventing boiler over-filling and priming. Unfortunately I do not have a suitable adapter to try out the clack valve on my 'Ginny'.

alan2525
Fireman
Fireman

Post by alan2525 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:33 pm

That makes sense, I think i'll reposition the take off for the pressure gauge so it's on the top of the boiler, and then keep the clack valve on the side, level with the centreline of the boiler.