Replacement Dart Comparison

A very popular starting point for Live Steam. With their low cost comes a number of problems which can be discussed here
Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Replacement Dart Comparison

Post by Narrow Minded » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:36 pm

I dunno if this has been done before or if it's of any use to anyone - but here's a "side-by-side" comparison of the popular replacement smokebox darts (smokebox door handles)

Prescott Engineering on the left and DJB on the right.

Both excellent items, with individual characteristics to suite your loco's "character".

Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:48 pm

They are so much better than the standard mamod. Do you know if they would fit the MK1 and mk11?

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:53 pm

Sir Clothem Cap:78668 wrote:They are so much better than the standard mamod. Do you know if they would fit the MK1 and mk11?
I've no experience of the Mk1 or 2, but can't see why not - they're both threaded and held in place by a nut behind the smokebox door.

Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:00 pm

on both mk1 and mk11 the smoke box is integral with the boiler. Has anyone had one apart?

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:18 pm

Greg,

Thank You for posting this comparison.

Sadly John Prescott Engineering is effectively finished with the remaining accessories transferred to Anything Narrow Gauge last October, and not listed on his website.

So looks like the DJB Engineering darts are the only ones currently available.

Here is the wheel that IP Engineering used on the IP Jane and was available as a Mamod modification. I've seen several narrow gauge locos fitted with similar style wheels instead of darts.

And another topic from your photos is the two different brass chimney caps. A Manor Models one on the left and looks like a Dream Steam one on the right?
Sir Clothem Cap wrote:On both the Mk1 and Mk11 the smoke box is integral with the boiler.
Neither of these locos has a smoke box. The brass Mamod dart on these locos has a 6BA screw which fits into a threaded insert on the front of the boiler, so the DJB Engineering ones will fit (may need the threaded portion shortened to fit). The Mamod nameplate on the front of the boiler is just held on by double sided tape and easily removed. Here's my Mark I fitted with a Steam4Fun smoke box and dart.

Chris Cairns.