Sealing between the reverser valve and the frames on Mamods

A very popular starting point for Live Steam. With their low cost comes a number of problems which can be discussed here
alan2525
Fireman
Fireman

Sealing between the reverser valve and the frames on Mamods

Post by alan2525 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:08 am

With the Mamod loco's the cylinders have a nice thick gasket between the cylinder and the loco frames, however the reverser valve just mates against the frames. Once running it's not normally a problem with steam leaks here if the screws are tightened but could a gasket material be used on this surface to prevent any leaks?

If so what would be the recommended material?

Alan

ACLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by ACLR » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:26 am

I havent put a gasket there and have not any leaks but im guessing you could use some kind of liquid gasket cement there instead of a paper gasket

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:51 am

These gaskets were actually fitted to the IP Jane, and I now use them on my Mamod rebuilds as well. I've tried liquid gasket before but it does not work very well.

I use 0.5mm Flexoid Oil Resistant Jointing Gasket which was off ebay ( http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Flexoid-oil-resis ... .m14.l1318 ).

I sent some to mhlr to fix South-Trethevy's leaking MSS that was on loan there.

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:04 pm

It would have to be a very fine gasket, otherwise you'd end up with the frames to wide apart. In the past I've just used some sealent (black stuff) that was at the FfR.