In the beginning.

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Catweasel
Fireman
Fireman

In the beginning.

Post by Catweasel » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:37 am

Image Click to enlarge.

Overhead shot of the terminus of the line. More straights are needed,and there's not a lot of room (3 meters x .9meters), but I will be able to play,sorry, run, trains. The point levers are to be removed and Tenmille's fitted before it's screwed down.  The track is based on Wantage.
Lead me not into temptation,for I can find my own way.

Gremlin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Gremlin » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:04 pm

that looks interesting, I ran through a few shunting operations in my head and it got busy.

Catweasel
Fireman
Fireman

In the beginning.

Post by Catweasel » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:48 pm

Image Click to enlarge.

The track is Faller E Track and what matches it I don't know. I'm reluctant to use the "normal" 16mm track because,to me,it is is way to heavy. O gauge section is better .

Catweasel
Fireman
Fireman

In the beginning.

Post by Catweasel » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:37 pm

Typical British weather. Many moons of rain, so no track laying. Now sunshine and the rail is too hot to touch! At least I won't have to worry about setting expansion gaps. Faller track matches reasonably close to Peco for height, but the width of the head on the Peco is twice the Faller. The foot is the same though.

Catweasel
Fireman
Fireman

In the beginning.

Post by Catweasel » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:36 pm

Image Click to enlarge

Track is now almost down,just waiting for point levers and will then screw it down. Trains have run on it and found a couple of snags. On one of the points, the loco caught the under frame, slight filing of the frame cured that. Again with points,due to different profile of rail, the loco hit. PW gang sorted that out with a grinder. Your comments are invited. Thanks.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:38 pm

Just found this, looks very interesting.

The Wantage Tramway is a great source of inspiration - are you going to model the rickety overall roof? That and the funny tall brick station building/HQ offices featured in a pipe-dream I was once playing with... I was in Wantage for a wedding a while back and the brick building's still there. Didn't have a chance to look but I don't think there's much trace of the rest of it.

Faller E Train carriages would make nice tram cars...

Good luck with the layout,

Andrew.

Catweasel
Fireman
Fireman

In the beginning.

Post by Catweasel » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:25 pm

'Tis many a year since I went to Wantage. I had a friend with me and he was convinced it was a narrow gauge line as it was so small and tight. Unfortunately, I only had a 3 metre x 900mm base. Although the track fitted on,it was too tight on the run round to make it practical. So I've lifted the track for now. I have more space on the other side of the garden so that is where it will go eventually. Mean while,using the Faller track I've got, I'm putting down an oval with a couple of sidings so I can at least run trains until the finance allows Peco stuff.

Annie
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Annie » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:50 am

Sounds very sensible :) Wantage is a good trackplan though and definitely one to come back to in the future.

What has Reality done for you lately?

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:33 am

Great photo Annie! I reckon the Wantage line counts as "honorary" narrow gauge...

Sorry to hear the original plan didn't work out Catweasel. The new Peco points will be very helpful for this sort of thing, but they're not cheap...

Cheers,

Andrew.

Catweasel
Fireman
Fireman

In the beginning

Post by Catweasel » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:26 am

Not to worry. I'm still working on it. It's a pity that the new Peco points are so long. I was hoping for something a bit tighter. I.m not "into" high speed n.g. or long sweeping curves. Many years ago,I was playing with 009. Couldn't get on with N gauge mechanics and Crazy Track. So I ploughed my own furrow by building my own chassis with sensible gearing and used Code 40 FB rail and 8mm gauge. How about a double slip that fitted on the palm of your hand? Totally crazy.Now though,I'm happy with things like powered skip chassis etc. And enjoying it,which is the main thing.

Annie
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Annie » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:58 am

You could still build your own points though Catweasel. You'd not only save money, but you could build the points to have the kind of appearance that you want.
What has Reality done for you lately?

Catweasel
Fireman
Fireman

In the beginning.

Post by Catweasel » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:33 pm

That's very true. I have wondered if, by using Peco parts, I could build short points of a suitable radius.