Problems with ragleth

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
LlanpwllBrynwyn
Cleaner
Cleaner

Problems with ragleth

Post by LlanpwllBrynwyn » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:05 pm

HI all.  Tried to run Jessica today but had problems.  I filled her up, gas, water, oil etc.  She got up to pressure fine and even ran for about 5 mins.  Then the burner went out and would not relight. Thought it must be a blocked jet, so just to check I put a small amount of gas in the tank and turned the gas on.  To my surprise gas came out normally. So I filled her up again (although she never has jetted gas back, I just listen until I can't here it flowing anymore and hold it for a a minute more). Lit her up again and just 2 or 3 mins later she's out again. Again I double checked to make sure it wasnt a blocked jet. For some reason she doesn't seem to be holding a full tank of gas.  

Could it be a faulty filler valve? Anyone got any ideas of the problem and/or a fix for it?
Mr T. Edwards

Director of the Ffestfordd Railway Company

www.youtube.com/user/HurricaneTich

Steven.T
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Steven.T » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:49 pm

As daft as it sounds, are you fully closing the gas regulator valve before topping up? I made that mistake once when I first lit my loco up :lol:

LlanpwllBrynwyn
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by LlanpwllBrynwyn » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:58 pm

Yes lol, I even opened it for a second during filling to actually make sure something was goin in (closed it up after tho!). It's almost as if the filler valve is cutting off at a lower pressure than it should do.
Mr T. Edwards

anythingsdr
Fireman
Fireman

Post by anythingsdr » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:34 pm

the fller valve doesnt opperate off pressure does it? its just when no more liquid goes in it closes... basically as a non return valve?
Alistair Parsons,
Apprentice Multi Skilled Technician

LlanpwllBrynwyn
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by LlanpwllBrynwyn » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:49 pm

Yes thats right, thats what makes me think something in it is faulty or possibly blocked as it seems to stop gas going in very quickly as if it is full when it isnt.  I have checked for leaks and I can't find any, good thing about using gas is i'd be able to smell it!

The burner works correctly, I am not turning the gas valve on anymore than I used to when I was getting 30 mins+ (still running in!), and the sound of the gas going through is the same, just seems to be less of it...

EDIT: A quick search on the internet has come up with some useful information. While a rare occurance it seems the Accucradt filler valve is prone to this problem, have emailed Accucraft for a replacement.
Mr T. Edwards

Adam R
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Adam R » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:39 pm

Is the gas tank frozen?

Is liquid gas coming out the vent at the top when you fill the gas?

The valve for the gas when you turn it on, try pulling it back[gently!](not turning it but pulling) and see if it burns better, Mine I could open the valve and increase the flow a suprising amount by the slack tollerance on the thread. this was the cause of the issue.

Another thing may be if your loco has the fag paper filter in the gas jet, try without this, I learnt that from Mr Mee's of accucraft repair fame.

Check for any burrs in the burner, that gave some odd burning patterns/ extinguishing in an awkward place.

SapperAnt
Fireman
Fireman

Post by SapperAnt » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:13 am

Mine just won't even start. Full gas tank, full boiler. Put in gear, open regulator. Nothing. Even giving it a little push on the track causes nothing to happen as the wheels seem totally locked solid......

LlanpwllBrynwyn
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by LlanpwllBrynwyn » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:05 am

Have you contacted Accucraft? I emailed them and the next morning had a phone call back, I have to say their customer service is top notch. About to go get the roundhouse multitool so I can whip the valve off and try the remedy suggested by them.

Does your loco push along while dry and not in steam?
Mr T. Edwards

SapperAnt
Fireman
Fireman

Post by SapperAnt » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:39 am

I'm going to this morning.

No it doesnt.

LlanpwllBrynwyn
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by LlanpwllBrynwyn » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:23 pm

Well after popping down the Kent Garden Railways to pick up the roundhouse multitool I took the filler valve off and blew gas back through as suggested by Graham at Accucraft.  I didnt think it would do much with it being a non return valve but it did.

I have just had her running for 45 mins non stop on rollers before I turned the gas off.  The only reason I stopped is because I was happy with her and had other things to get on with.  Anyway here is a picture of her cooling down just after emptying the left over oil out...

Thanks to all who gave suggestions and help!
Mr T. Edwards