Roofing felt!

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
Vapouriser
Fireman
Fireman

Roofing felt!

Post by Vapouriser » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:14 am

Having just made my first building- an IP Holt I decided I d like to add a bit to it. I found a Prams and Toys shops in Wisbech selling various gauges of plastic pipe I can use as guttering then I thought , what about the roof?! Anyone tried sand paper stuck on and painted to waterproof it. It wont be left outside for long periods. Am I allowed to say here -we are now on our 4 IP kit and cannot reccomend highly enough. And cheap!

Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:00 am

I'm not sure sandpaper would survive the odd minor downpour. I use plastic moulded sheet that I brought on ebay it looks like tiles and is waterproof already

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:06 am

One thing you CAN do is to take the labels off your tinned foods (preferably AFTER you've eaten the contents - doing it BEFORE can make life VERY interesting!) - then cut out the middle, corrugated, section - un-bend it and get it really hot with a blowtorch to get all the plating and gunge off it. Cut it up into scale 6' by 2' sheets and fix to the ply roof with track pins or summat similar.

Leave the building outside (off the ground, somewhere sheltered) for six months and you'll have a genuine rusty tin roof!

If you go to your local supermarket looking for tins with larger corrugated middle sections, be prepared for odd looks from the other shoppers (and look at tinned new potatoes - I've found these to be a good bet in the past)
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

GTB
Driver
Driver

Re: Roofing felt!

Post by GTB » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:13 pm

Vapouriser:72630 wrote:Anyone tried sand paper stuck on and painted to waterproof it. It wont be left outside for long periods.
There are sandpapers and then there are sandpapers..........

Wet and Dry 'sandpaper' was developed to be used wet, so it's waterproof and probably as weatherproof as plywood. Use a waterproof glue to apply it though.

Pick the right grit size and the dark grey colour and texture looks like an asphalt surface, or a roofing material like Malthoid.

It won't do a paintbrush a lot of good though, so spray paint it if you want to change the colour.

Graeme

Vapouriser
Fireman
Fireman

Roofing felt

Post by Vapouriser » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:17 pm

I d like to use corragated tins but still have an unpleasant memoryof one! Wet and dry. Why didnt I think of that. Dont answer! Thanks all

Vapouriser
Fireman
Fireman

Ashphalt roof

Post by Vapouriser » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:47 pm

Change the colour. Wet and dry looked very smart for a couple of days till the local bird population discovered it. Oh ek.

peterbunce
Cleaner
Cleaner

corrugated iron

Post by peterbunce » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:41 pm

Hi,

You can make your own; you want a two handled paper crimper, and the base of some food trays cut up to rectangles.

The crimper is held in a vice and ther small sheets fed through, they are fixed to your roof with window frame sealer., and the overlaps sealed with Evo-stik.

I use (as a customer) the 4 bird roast tins from Aldi - they are 4 thou thick, which I think is likely to be standard, the foil from them is quite ductile and will go through, with care, the paper crimper . Flashing around chimmnies, skylights is from the same stuff.

Paint to suit when all is dry
Last edited by peterbunce on Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yours, Peter Bunce

anythingsdr
Fireman
Fireman

Post by anythingsdr » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:03 pm

or you coud just use roofing felt :)
Alistair Parsons,
Apprentice Multi Skilled Technician

Johnnie2sheds
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Johnnie2sheds » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:36 am

I've just done some accy vans ( I dont like the brilliant white rooves on these vehicles). Masking tape, painted mucky. It does sometimes peel up but is easily superglued back down. Photo to follow if required (I'm at work atm)

Adam R
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Adam R » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:13 am

What about real slate tiles.

Select a nice chunk of square slate about half an inch thick.

get a hacksaw and cut it into a block, and then cut it into the rouch size of your tiles with the hacksaw, Immideately put it in a bucket of water, then leave it overnight.

Get the blade from an old pencil sharpener and a toffee hammer.

get a block of slate, and stand it on end, and split the block in half so its now 2 pieces quater of an inch thick, repeat this, chopping it in the middle each time till you have roof tiles.

to split, place the blade accross sharp side on the slate, blunt side, tap with the hammer repeatedly, DONT slit your fingers open, it WILL hurt. use a pair of pliars to hold the blade if you think you will chop your digit off or smack your thumb

This isnt my idea, i learnt it from a friend, it works well, and ive just returned form bryneglwys quarry in wales with some 'prime' cuts of slate.

its waterproof, being slate and whats scrap can be made into platform edging stones.

Leaving it in water is important, it wont split otherwise this small.

If you loose fingers, eyes, other body parts, explode in a horrible firey way, its nowt t do with me :lol:

Ill probably have a go tonight as I need some wagon loads for my TR stock, when i perfect my technique, ill make a video. If not, Beg kes to get steve to make a video :P

Vapouriser
Fireman
Fireman

Ashalt roofs.

Post by Vapouriser » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:23 pm

Heehee. What a wealth of information. Real slate too. Now that sounds really nice. I think I ll have a plan B though!

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:29 pm

Adam, really useful post there, would you mind if I copy and pasted the text into a new post in the "Reference Libary" forum (or perhapes you might like to do it), it just seems to be a brilliant little guide that is lost in a topic with a subject line that would make it hard to spot
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

Adam R
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Adam R » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:39 pm

laalratty:72912 wrote:Adam, really useful post there, would you mind if I copy and pasted the text into a new post in the "Reference Libary" forum (or perhapes you might like to do it), it just seems to be a brilliant little guide that is lost in a topic with a subject line that would make it hard to spot
will do it now :D glad its of use.