Roundhouse Discontinues

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:47 am

I think if they released a 0-6-0 freelance diesel with R/C and a decent sound chip (check out chuffed2bits recent attempt) that would be a winner.

Cheers,

Tom

Resurgam05
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Resurgam05 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:13 pm

I can't say that I am greatly surprised by these three going.

The 'Tal' must be quite a costly locomotive to build, being articulated with inside valve gear and having non standard (Compared with the rest of the range) steam chests and cylinders etc. Sad though to see such a good model going after only 4 years, but I suppose the demand has diminished.

The 'Atlantic's' biggest problem might be the great number of 'Argylls' already out there?

The 'Tom Rolt' is a good model but as you say possibly lacks a wider appeal?

As for the Russell being due a revision I couldn't agree more.
Best Wishes

David Williams

Spule 4
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Spule 4 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:10 am

I caught this yesterday as well.

It begs me to wonder how those that state "RH need to do more prototype models Vs. freelance ones" can stand by this, because I doubt that RH is pulling the plug on their top sellers.
Garrett

"Some say that Mamods have problems.  Whatever. I view them as opportunities for improvement."

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:15 am

As I have said before, the freelancers will do better because people can customise them to their own railways/worlds without any issues such as 'authenticity' or 'does it look right for that type'. :)

Taliesin doesn't surprise me, the Atlantic is a shame and I am sorry to see Tom Rolt going. :c

GardenRail
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by GardenRail » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:10 am

dougrail:72702 wrote:As I have said before, the freelancers will do better because people can customise them to their own railways/worlds without any issues such as 'authenticity' or 'does it look right for that type'. :)

Taliesin doesn't surprise me, the Atlantic is a shame and I am sorry to see Tom Rolt going. :c
I would agree completely with this. A 'prototype' locomotive will *always* have limited appeal almost by definition. The Alco (original WD version out later this year) is an excellent compromise because one can quite reasonably modify or just run in your own railway's livery because this is just what happened with the original. Almost all my locomotives are modified generic and the one that isn't is only a rough approximation and so modifying was an option. Fact is, that unlike the generality of standard gauge stuff, the narrow gauge railways were each individually unto themselves. For instance if one sees a Countess running then it is only the W&L and in the same way the locomotives on my line are so much modified that they can only be seen on the Longlands & Western... Buying a base from a manufacturer and modifying to suit local conditions is very similar to what the original narrow gauge enterprises did.

For myself therefore, I would like to see improved versions of standard designs, with improved cab accessibility and enough steamways to add extras. [/i]
Tag Gorton

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:44 am

22 years after introduction, and the non-freelance Fowler lives on...
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:58 am

A 'prototype' locomotive will *always* have limited appeal almost by definition.
I'd certainly agree with you with regards to the "iconic" loco's Tag, (hence the reasoning behind my alternative "W&L" ;) ), but with other prototypes, it is possible to integrate them into a freelance fleet by the very fact that they were 'generic' in their day :D

For example, when I aquired the Accucraft "Leader", I did so with the mindset that I was getting a Kerr Stuart Brazil class loco, which, in its day would have been readily available from the California Works in Stoke catalogue :D

GardenRail
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by GardenRail » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:53 am

Narrow Minded:72712 wrote:
A 'prototype' locomotive will *always* have limited appeal almost by definition.
I'd certainly agree with you with regards to the "iconic" loco's Tag, (hence the reasoning behind my alternative "W&L" ;) ), but with other prototypes, it is possible to integrate them into a freelance fleet by the very fact that they were 'generic' in their day :D

For example, when I aquired the Accucraft "Leader", I did so with the mindset that I was getting a Kerr Stuart Brazil class loco, which, in its day would have been readily available from the California Works in Stoke catalogue :D
Yes I am with you on this as well. That is why I fancy an Alco... As you say, these were full size generic locos....
Tag Gorton

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:35 pm

I think that with most people's garden railways it tends to be "Anything Goes" which in my mind is brilliant as its no where near as serious as some of the people that model standard gauge... Being frowned upon for double heading a GWR 28xx and a LNER B12 with a rake of different colour coaches in 00 gauge on a model of Abergele station, one had smoke and the other had a chuffing sound tender so I couldn't resist... I ran a Eurostar on it the week before... So it doesn't really matter if its a freelance or prototype... you buy it cause you like it right?

It is a shame to see these locos be discontinued for the time being, but who's to say that they won't make a comeback in the years to come?
I for one agree that Russell could use an update along with S.R.&R.L No.24 unless its had a retooling that I haven't heard of...
No one expects the SPANISH ACQUISITION!!!

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:21 am

laurence703:72725 wrote:... you buy it cause you like it right?...
I suppose you're absolutely right, but there's still the "Suspension of disbelief" when a collection of loco's and rolling stock, running on a convincing railway, even though freelance, look "right" - as though the scene could be prototypical!
This for me is what "Garden Railway Realism" is all about - for example Tags L&W is real isn't it? (and there's a long list of other lines that I admire and aspire to!) :D

MuzTrem
Driver
Driver

Post by MuzTrem » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:21 am

TonyW:72711 wrote:22 years after introduction, and the non-freelance Fowler lives on...
The same point can be made for Russell - only one full size version built, but dozens on Britain's garden lines. But then, being built by Hunslet I suppose it is plausible that more could have been built to the same design if the demand had been there, whereas Taliesin and Tom Rolt were built in-house by their owning railways and are therefore more distinctive. Then again, that doesn't explain the popularity of the VoR 2-6-2Ts, which one quite often sees in freelance liveries.

Equally, one could argue that Barclays could have built additional engines to the Argyll/Atlantic design. I think price is probably a factor there: people wanting a generic side tank could get a Russell, or even a second-hand Argyll, cheaper than an Atlantic.

Still, I shall just have to add Atlantic and Taliesin to the long list of Roundhouse engines I hope to buy second-hand at some point in the far off future when the recession is over and I have a job and disposable income... :cry:

Adam R
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Adam R » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:33 pm

I think they chose the wrong engine with tom rolt, being a one off and probably the most asthetically challenged loco on the tr(diesels included).

Had it been any of the other steam engines, Id have probably started saving. I hope they stay in the market of scale engines and havnt been scared away.

Adam R
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Adam R » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:55 pm

For the record, I wasnt saying i was against freelance, I own a bertie, and its fantastic. But as my interests have become more 'set' id like a model of a prototype to be right. its personal preference at the end of the day.

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:43 pm

Adam R:72885 wrote:I think they chose the wrong engine with tom rolt, being a one off and probably the most asthetically challenged loco on the tr(diesels included).
I dunno, its my favorite TR loco and the only one I'd really consider having in model form, the others don't really do anything for me whilst I think it looks quite purposefull.
I'm a bit suprised about Atlantic, Taliesin is expensive and after four years probably those that want one have got one.
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."