My first garden railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:14 am

Wow! That's quite a pond!
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

benchmark
Fireman
Fireman

Post by benchmark » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:48 pm

Progress update

I poured a layer of concrete into the foundation and laid down the brickwork, this is the longest i have ever been on my hands and knees :P

Here is a picture of the main circuit which is 48 yards . I had to make the brick surface the same level as the grass to allow for my robot lawn mower working without damaging the tracks, this has resulted in a few roller coaster gradients but i guess that all adds to the fun of a bumpy ride. :lol:

I started laying down the Flexi-track too but before i knew what was happening, it got too dark to take any pictures so that will have to follow soon.
The track exchange 'Y' points are already in place which will lead to another 5 yards loop within the larger circuit .and this i should be laying in a few days time.

Track laying should be finished by tomorrow and i will do a test run before i cement the sleepers down with Rowlands mix.

Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:49 pm

That is a lot of hard work Well done

benchmark
Fireman
Fireman

Post by benchmark » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:53 pm

Thanks Bryan.

Another update

Even though it poured with rain today i was outside working in the garden as i am suddenly panicking that i may not finish the project within my 14 day holiday as otherwise planned.

The pond got its first inhabitants , which are a few fish 20 cm long goldfish to keep the filter bacteria active. The Koi carp will come when it gets a bit warmer.
The picket fence round the area has been erected.
The main circuit of track is now completed and i ran my little electric loco to test it, i was full of smiles  :D
Tomorrow i will run one steam loco just to be sure before i fix it down with 'Rowlands cement mix'
Then there is the painting od the picket fence white....when will chores end .

Image[/quote]

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:23 pm

when will chores end .
Never, thats the fun of it!

Looks very neat!
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

benchmark
Fireman
Fireman

Post by benchmark » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:26 pm

A little picture update.
The an extra loop within the main circumference of track has been added so i have 2 loops to choose from when i run my locos.

I have also ordered 45mm peco flexitrack and i plan to make a small 45mm track circle within the other half of my layout .

Here is a shameful attempt to illustrate what i mean about the proposed 45mm layout , please pardon my amateur PC illustration skills.

Comments and ideas welcome (about the layout, not the PC skills  :lol:  )