Dan's desk is empty, could you fill it ?
-
DLRdan
Dan's desk is empty, could you fill it ?
As per title really. With Doug's Mamod back home the desk is empty, so if you have a job needing doing, let me know.
-
Pendo Pilot
-
Spule 4
Dan, not an offer of a new project per se, but have you detailed anywhere the construction of your loco "Falcon"? I have seen your posts about Dante, but nothing more about Falcon other than the one photo on your website:
http://www.freewebs.com/dlrail/locomotives.htm
I have always been interested in DeWinton-type locomotives, especially some of the small ones made in 16mm that I see photos of on the internet, but the poster of the photos never shares any construction details!
Yours is one I have liked for a while because it is right size-wise. Many such as those made by Rengner are just too big.
Thanks-
http://www.freewebs.com/dlrail/locomotives.htm
I have always been interested in DeWinton-type locomotives, especially some of the small ones made in 16mm that I see photos of on the internet, but the poster of the photos never shares any construction details!
Yours is one I have liked for a while because it is right size-wise. Many such as those made by Rengner are just too big.
Thanks-
-
DLRdan
Shane, you have a PM. Spule, I have never done any construction details about Falcon. It was built back in 2007 before I joined any online comunity and before I had a decent camera. I was also 16 at the time so was more interested in finishing it than taking notes. I have previously thought about drawing it up as per Dante but the start up ritual is unlike any other loco as those who have watched me do it will know. If you tell me what you want to know Im pretty sure I can tell you.
-
Spule 4
Dan-
Thank you for the reply.
You have my interest in the "start up" comment now, so I assume with that it is different boiler/burner wise?
My main interest is there are several "start from scratch" de Winton designs, but the many "made from bits" ones are not documented. I imagine you had to make the boiler and framework, but used the Mamod cylinder. As someone who can cut and solder metal, but without any machine tools, I am interested in simple projects.
If you have a couple other photos, they may answer some questions.
Thank you for the reply.
You have my interest in the "start up" comment now, so I assume with that it is different boiler/burner wise?
My main interest is there are several "start from scratch" de Winton designs, but the many "made from bits" ones are not documented. I imagine you had to make the boiler and framework, but used the Mamod cylinder. As someone who can cut and solder metal, but without any machine tools, I am interested in simple projects.
If you have a couple other photos, they may answer some questions.
- dougrail
- Driver

- Posts: 1535
- Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:11 pm
- Location: Salopia; on the edge of Arcadia
I would thoroughly recommend Dan to have a go with any troublesome oscillators. B)
After the Vintage and Ossilators Gala at Butterley, he took away Swordbreaker at short notice after he spotted a leak or two. Not only did he work the port faces and reverser block....
He also did some remedial work that was on my 'to do list' such as stick down the brass smokebox dart, flare the funnel root so it couldn't fall off and then sorted outt he gas burner arrangement too!
Once he had established the perfect position within the burner sleeve where the gasjet should be, he then kindly drilled in a dimple for the nut to go into so I can tell where it should all fit together, thus curing another problem with the somewhat-shy Swordbreaker
It gets better! Not only had the cylinders become a little narrower now, it meant that the cylinder covers could be altered - no more GWR-style sloping outwards for them.
And a remedial on the tender - those who know that originally it was simply a hook on the tender with a chain link to the loco coupling also knew that it had problems..not anymore!
Dan also kindly copied the drawbar design from his own Robin and placed it onto the tender to enable a much better ride in both directions.
In short, Dan pretty much went above and beyond the original order and I'm a very pleased Doug
After the Vintage and Ossilators Gala at Butterley, he took away Swordbreaker at short notice after he spotted a leak or two. Not only did he work the port faces and reverser block....
He also did some remedial work that was on my 'to do list' such as stick down the brass smokebox dart, flare the funnel root so it couldn't fall off and then sorted outt he gas burner arrangement too!
Once he had established the perfect position within the burner sleeve where the gasjet should be, he then kindly drilled in a dimple for the nut to go into so I can tell where it should all fit together, thus curing another problem with the somewhat-shy Swordbreaker
It gets better! Not only had the cylinders become a little narrower now, it meant that the cylinder covers could be altered - no more GWR-style sloping outwards for them.
And a remedial on the tender - those who know that originally it was simply a hook on the tender with a chain link to the loco coupling also knew that it had problems..not anymore!
In short, Dan pretty much went above and beyond the original order and I'm a very pleased Doug
- dougrail
- Driver

- Posts: 1535
- Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:11 pm
- Location: Salopia; on the edge of Arcadia
-
Hancockshire
-insert Greengrass eye twitch here- better get saving then. I want an uprated safety Valve for "Agnus" but I don't want a standard off the shelf Item. I want a Ramsbottom safety Valve because I think they look awesome. I'd also like a long burning Meths burner to boil more water. I'm hoping to get more power from "Agnus"
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests