Dan's desk is empty, could you fill it ?

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
Post Reply
DLRdan

Dan's desk is empty, could you fill it ?

Post by DLRdan » Tue May 29, 2012 11:10 pm

As per title really. With Doug's Mamod back home the desk is empty, so if you have a job needing doing, let me know.

Pendo Pilot

Post by Pendo Pilot » Wed May 30, 2012 12:08 am

How about a box of mamod. i.e. CVLR No1 that I'm so sick of I basically stripped apart & stored somewhere in a box.

Spule 4

Post by Spule 4 » Wed May 30, 2012 4:04 am

Dan, not an offer of a new project per se, but have you detailed anywhere the construction of your loco "Falcon"?  I have seen your posts about Dante, but nothing more about Falcon other than the one photo on your website:

http://www.freewebs.com/dlrail/locomotives.htm

I have always been interested in DeWinton-type locomotives, especially some of the small ones made in 16mm that I see photos of on the internet, but the poster of the photos never shares any construction details! :D

Yours is one I have liked for a while because it is right size-wise.  Many such as those made by Rengner are just too big.

Thanks-

DLRdan

Post by DLRdan » Wed May 30, 2012 9:24 am

Shane, you have a PM. Spule, I have never done any construction details about Falcon. It was built back in 2007 before I joined any online comunity and before I had a decent camera. I was also 16 at the time so was more interested in finishing it than taking notes. I have previously thought about drawing it up as per Dante but the start up ritual is unlike any other loco as those who have watched me do it will know. If you tell me what you want to know Im pretty sure I can tell you.

Spule 4

Post by Spule 4 » Wed May 30, 2012 11:04 pm

Dan-

Thank you for the reply.

You have my interest in the "start up" comment now, so I assume with that it is different boiler/burner wise?

My main interest is there are several "start from scratch" de Winton designs, but the many "made from bits" ones are not documented. I imagine you had to make the boiler and framework, but used the Mamod cylinder. As someone who can cut and solder metal, but without any machine tools, I am interested in simple projects.

If you have a couple other photos, they may answer some questions.

User avatar
dougrail
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1535
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:11 pm
Location: Salopia; on the edge of Arcadia

Post by dougrail » Wed May 30, 2012 11:19 pm

I would thoroughly recommend Dan to have a go with any troublesome oscillators. B)

After the Vintage and Ossilators Gala at Butterley, he took away Swordbreaker at short notice after he spotted a leak or two. Not only did he work the port faces and reverser block....:D

He also did some remedial work that was on my 'to do list' such as stick down the brass smokebox dart, flare the funnel root so it couldn't fall off and then sorted outt he gas burner arrangement too!

Once he had established the perfect position within the burner sleeve where the gasjet should be, he then kindly drilled in a dimple for the nut to go into so I can tell where it should all fit together, thus curing another problem with the somewhat-shy Swordbreaker :D

It gets better! Not only had the cylinders become a little narrower now, it meant that the cylinder covers could be altered - no more GWR-style sloping outwards for them. :)

And a remedial on the tender - those who know that originally it was simply a hook on the tender with a chain link to the loco coupling also knew that it had problems..not anymore! :D Dan also kindly copied the drawbar design from his own Robin and placed it onto the tender to enable a much better ride in both directions.

In short, Dan pretty much went above and beyond the original order and I'm a very pleased Doug :D

Hancockshire

Post by Hancockshire » Wed May 30, 2012 11:24 pm

Tempting. What kind of costs are involved?

User avatar
dougrail
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1535
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:11 pm
Location: Salopia; on the edge of Arcadia

Post by dougrail » Wed May 30, 2012 11:29 pm

I think Dan would be best to approach; different engines and different jobs. However, given the work carried out and all the little 'to do' jobs that were on my list being done, what I paid was damn good value.

DLRdan

Post by DLRdan » Wed May 30, 2012 11:38 pm

The cost involed varies on what you want doing.

Hancockshire

Post by Hancockshire » Wed May 30, 2012 11:41 pm

-insert Greengrass eye twitch here- better get saving then. I want an uprated safety Valve for "Agnus" but I don't want a standard off the shelf Item. I want a Ramsbottom safety Valve because I think they look awesome. I'd also like a long burning Meths burner to boil more water. I'm hoping to get more power from "Agnus"

benchmark

Post by benchmark » Thu May 31, 2012 12:15 pm

Pm sent Dan :)

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests