Roundhouse 2012

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
AFGadd
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by AFGadd » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:14 pm

Keith&Joanna:68769 wrote:could somebody explain the chimney arrangement please?
Without looking at my files I can't say exactly when the extra pipework appeared behind the chimney.
However, I do know why it's there!!!
The Dreadnought vacuum ejector that most of the FR locos use had some issues on Mountaineer, I believe the crews were having trouble releasing the brakes after stops, a second ejector was fitted to solve the problems.
The second ejector was so good that it created too much draft up the chimney while the loco was coasting (a real issue on the down hill run) and caused the fire (oil firing) to burn too hot.
Boston Lodge solved this by re routing the second ejector with a single pipe behind the chimney.
For some reason it was then decided to route the original ejector behind the chimney too, and before long a cowl appeared covering the two pipes. This is what Roundhouse have modelled.

I'm not sure I've got this %100 correct, but the essence is two ejector pipes exhaust behind the chimney because of the excessive draft they caused when exhausting up the chimney.

On a personal note, I think this engine is the Bees-Knees...

Roundhouse have managed, in one deft manoeuvre to release my two most favourite locomotives ever....

Thanks guys, I kissed goodbye to nearly £4000 yesterday.
Andrew

MTA

Post by MTA » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:45 pm

As nice as it is, 'Mountaineer' in full size and model form has never really 'done' it for me.

However, the recent Penrhyn book has given me some ideas!!!

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:20 pm

I have never really found the real "mountaineer" all that attractive to look at. Now however, looking at the black model one in the picture, and comparing it to the picture of the real one, I find myself wishing I could afford/have room for one. If you stare at that locomotive long enough it becomes attractive. Not being particularly interested myself in non-functioning scale detail, I have trouble finding much difference between the full-size engine in the picture and the small one in the next picture. The domes, tanks, smokebox door, and chimney all look more-or-less identical to me. Not sure what you're on about there, Doug? The valve chests on the real one seem to stick out a bit more I suppose. Frankly I think the model looks nicer than the real one.

I admit though, I like these engines more for the "steam engine" aspect rather than the "model train" aspect.

Sorry, Jools, the penguin was cross that I used his picture without permission, and has barred me from posting any more.

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:52 pm

Ello Keith,

The mods I suggested are what I'd do to personalise the engine / make it unique. If you want a dead-set replica of the actual FR Mountaineer, then as it is seems pretty spot on. :)

Spule 4
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Spule 4 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:23 pm

I bet someone will come up with the bits in cut brass or steel for the as-built WD cabs. Would really look the part with the Accucraft Baldwins.

I can understand why RH went with the preserved version tho from a marketing approach. :)
Garrett

"Some say that Mamods have problems.  Whatever. I view them as opportunities for improvement."

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:34 pm

dougrail:68840 wrote:Ello Keith,

The mods I suggested are what I'd do to personalise the engine / make it unique. If you want a dead-set replica of the actual FR Mountaineer, then as it is seems pretty spot on. :)
It really is getting to be time for you to get a lathe and design your own engine, Doug. At some point you'll find it to be less hassle than all the modifications you dream about doing to existing factory-built ones! :lol:

RSB
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by RSB » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:16 pm

MuzTrem:68699 wrote: Mountaineer looks rather handsome too. Technically, of course, it is the second version Roundhouse have produced, since they manufactured the Steamcraft version back in the '80s! Does anyone have a picture of one of these?
Here is a photo of my Steamcraft Mountaineer, I purchased this from David Taylor (Mr Steamcraft) who told me that this was one of the first built for him by Roundhouse.

Although I had heard and read many tales about steamcraft locos this particular loco example runs very well and have plenty of power.

The main downside is the burner its basically a blow torch head, and is rather loud. Some of the detailing is a little crude, but I like the loco and always enjoy running it.

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:31 pm

Keith S:68853 wrote:
dougrail:68840 wrote:Ello Keith,

It really is getting to be time for you to get a lathe and design your own engine, Doug. At some point you'll find it to be less hassle than all the modifications you dream about doing to existing factory-built ones! :lol:
Possibly. My next 'likely definate' is prolly gonna be a RH Bertie mind. Been planning that for a month and already discussing the making of a better looking saddle...

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:21 pm

AFGadd:68820 wrote:The Dreadnought vacuum ejector that most of the FR locos use had some issues on Mountaineer, I believe the crews were having trouble releasing the brakes after stops, a second ejector was fitted to solve the problems.
The second ejector was so good that it created too much draft up the chimney while the loco was coasting (a real issue on the down hill run) and caused the fire (oil firing) to burn too hot.
Nearly right! Mountaineer is/was VERY tight on water capacity and without due care would often run out of water in the tanks some way below Tanybwlch. The Dreadnought ejector was identified as a major cause and so a second and much smaller ejector was fitted. This was sufficient to maintain the vacuum but could not release the brakes after coming to a stand. The procedure was to turn off the Dreadnought completely when running and just use the small one, then turn the Dreadnought back on when approaching stations, and off again after leaving. This gave maximum braking flexibility but also reduced water consumption.

I used to enjoy driving Mountaineer. Barn Cutting eight carrs, and let it rip. Good times!
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks

AFGadd
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by AFGadd » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:49 am

TonyW:68909 wrote:
AFGadd:68820 wrote:The Dreadnought vacuum ejector that most of the FR locos use had some issues on Mountaineer, I believe the crews were having trouble releasing the brakes after stops, a second ejector was fitted to solve the problems.
Nearly right! Mountaineer is/was VERY tight on water capacity and without due care would often run out of water in the tanks some way below Tanybwlch. The Dreadnought ejector was identified as a major cause and so a second and much smaller ejector was fitted. This was sufficient to maintain the vacuum but could not release the brakes after coming to a stand. The procedure was to turn off the Dreadnought completely when running and just use the small one, then turn the Dreadnought back on when approaching stations, and off again after leaving. This gave maximum braking flexibility but also reduced water consumption.

I used to enjoy driving Mountaineer. Barn Cutting eight carrs, and let it rip. Good times!
Thanks for the clarification, I too would enjoy a good "Trash" behind Mountaineer.

Another reason for buying the Roundhouse model is that the original is unlikely to steam for some time. The loco was only ever a "Stop Gap" when there were major issues in the loco roster. There are not so many problems with the size of the fleet these days coupled with the fact that Mountaineer was never really upto what was being asked of it. Lets be fair, it was built as an engine that would have no future. WD locos had an average life of a few months, yet nearly 100 years on her is Mountaineer being asked to do things it was never designed.
It's a miracle the loco is even here, let alone working....

As far as I know (and I would love to be corrected), there are no plans to get Mountaineer into Boston Lodge for the foreseeable future, and those plans that I have seen leave Mountaineer in a drastically altered state to it's present condition....
Andrew

ferrysteam
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by ferrysteam » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:35 am

I think another problem will be manual driving will be virtually impossible with the enclosed cab.I personally don't like rc.

Helen and Allan of the Frog and Ferret Railway.

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:42 pm

The French "Tatey Railway" she served for forty years should get some of the credit for keeping her going.

Are there any ex-WDLR/USA 2-6-2T ALCOs in captivity elsewhere in Europe?

Peter in AZ
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

spooner
Fireman
Fireman

Post by spooner » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:01 pm

I think there's an ALCO in France.
Ian
WLR

Marquis DeCarabas
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Marquis DeCarabas » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:40 pm

ferrysteam:68943 wrote:I think another problem will be manual driving will be virtually impossible with the enclosed cab.I personally don't like rc.
How so? I don't have any significant problems with my NG/G16; save that reversing is a protracted process.

Roundhouse do sell a long regulator arm for five quid.
De Carabas

At the service of angelislington

thecsmann
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by thecsmann » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:00 pm

yes this one...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steveinlei ... 214732252/

i am sure it has been to the fr and the frs to france...

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:24 pm

Minfforrd yard:
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks