Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
-
Marquis DeCarabas
Post
by Marquis DeCarabas » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:07 am
With the excellent news that the three are coming back from Indiana, and that Winifred is being loaded today, apparently. I wonder if anyone can help me with an enigma...
If you look at this photo of my Winifred:
You might be able to see that there is a sandbox on the footplating, I've only ever seen one picture with that in, from the late Colin Pealling and it's published on p65 of the Penrhyn Modellers Guide.
Can anyone give dates as to when the 'real' Winifred carried the sandbox, presumably pre-1954 rebuild, please?
-
dougrail
- Driver

- Posts: 1535
- Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:11 pm
- Location: Salopia; on the edge of Arcadia
Post
by dougrail » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:21 pm
Give me an hour or so, lemme get to my grimoire and I may be able to tell you. i do know many of them had them removed by the 50s...
-
METHSSNIFFER
Post
by METHSSNIFFER » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:51 pm
Nice to hear Wini s coming home and what a pleasure to have a finescale loco along with myself of her. We need to celebrate!!
-
Marquis DeCarabas
Post
by Marquis DeCarabas » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:52 pm
TVM - my Penrhyn books are still in Tywyn. I don't think Elvis Trundle will appreciate them coming over just yet - they will eventually when I have a bit of a swap. I suspect that there is an early picture of her in the 'Little Penrhyn Railway' - but I've not read my copy of that for at least a decade, sadly.
METHSSNIFFER:68462 wrote:Nice to hear Wini s coming home and what a pleasure to have a finescale loco along with myself of her. We need to celebrate!!
Splendid - the loco itself is a bit of an enigma - it came to me third-hand at a very advantageous price (and I'd been waiting for about 7 years for a 'Lilian'). I've not seen many models of 'Winifred' with either the sandbox or 'Penrhyn' style nameplates. What does yours look like? Since having her, I've done some small amounts of ..er.. improvement work, so she is even better than off-the-shelf, if that's possible!
Last edited by Marquis DeCarabas on Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
-
METHSSNIFFER
Post
by METHSSNIFFER » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:09 am
Wheres the sandbox I cant see it!!
Last edited by METHSSNIFFER on Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
-
Marquis DeCarabas
Post
by Marquis DeCarabas » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:14 am
That's not a Port class!
-
METHSSNIFFER
Post
by METHSSNIFFER » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:22 am
An alice class!
-
Marquis DeCarabas
Post
by Marquis DeCarabas » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:26 am
METHSSNIFFER:68474 wrote:An alice class!
I know!
Apparently I'm credited in a couple of books on them.
-
METHSSNIFFER
Post
by METHSSNIFFER » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:30 am
Dont know why they called em port class they didnt go anywhere near the port
-
Marquis DeCarabas
Post
by Marquis DeCarabas » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:35 am
METHSSNIFFER:68476 wrote:Dont know why they called em port class they didnt go anywhere near the port
Yes they did - Winifred worked at the Port until her 1953 overhaul - best to check your history...
Depends if you're talking about Dinorwic Port class or Penrhyn Port class.
-
METHSSNIFFER
Post
by METHSSNIFFER » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:47 am
Winifred worked at port penryhn you are saying with linda charles and blanche
-
Marquis DeCarabas
Post
by Marquis DeCarabas » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:57 am
METHSSNIFFER:68478 wrote:Winifred worked at port penryhn you are saying with linda charles and blanche
Yes - before her rebuild in 1953/4, after that she went to the Quarry.
-
METHSSNIFFER
Post
by METHSSNIFFER » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:08 am
And I thought that the Port was worked by three de wintons before Linda Blanche and Charles with a couple of Baldwins that were not suitable. I guess Nesta worked the Port with Winifred also glad Ive got IVOs video its all clear now lol. It does make my model of a slate quarry more practical now as I can run Winifred on the levels as well as on the port branch with Blanche now
-
penrose
Post
by penrose » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:25 pm
The three Penrhyn Port class Hunslets - Gwynedd, Lilian and Winifred - were all built specifically for use at the Port and, unsurprisingly, spent a lot of their working lives there!
Incidentally one of the postcards sold at Launceston has Winifred's new owner driving Lilian - speculate all you like about what this means about how soon Winifred and Lilian might be reunited....
Charlie
-
thecsmann
Post
by thecsmann » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:33 pm
my one has the sandboexs but not the oilers on the smoke box.. nad yes iknow i have posted this photo befor but it is the only time i have run it. as its still the wrong guage..

-
Marquis DeCarabas
Post
by Marquis DeCarabas » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:41 pm
Interesting - look like different nameplates to mine.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests